whisky lovers

On 04/04/2020 at 22:30, GiGi said:

P&B sample swapping (matron!) is a good idea.

I second this. I Still have sample bottles that i used to do with swaps with people when working up in orkney as alot of them were whisky daft. Also a good wee idea for folk before they shell out on a bottle that isnt up their street too.

Edited by gannonball

Bishopburn Boy... Had the 2005 Original lastnight. Really nice, but felt a tiny splash of water was in order.

It had a spiciness to it, and had an almost tingly feeling on my mouth. Was weird. First time I have experienced that from a whisky. Very pleasant. Was like when you have had a smint and your mouth feels kinda cold and clean after it. Or the tingly sensation you get from szechuan peppercorns.....

Anyway it was unique in that sense for me and I very much enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Bishopburn Boy... Had the 2005 Original lastnight. Really nice, but felt a tiny splash of water was in order.

It had a spiciness to it, and had an almost tingly feeling on my mouth. Was weird. First time I have experienced that from a whisky. Very pleasant. Was like when you have had a smint and your mouth feels kinda cold and clean after it. Or the tingly sensation you get from szechuan peppercorns.....

Anyway it was unique in that sense for me and I very much enjoyed it.

@Bairnardo Yup , at 55.8 some water , ( not much mind !) helps the senses get all that’s going , it’s a really nice dram , and when you consider this was from pretty much their first season distilling , makes me think there will be more good stuff to follow as they hone their craft ! I think it also shows the strength / quality of the distillate and  with good casks we get great whisky 

Have you tried the grain sample yet ? 

Edited by bishopburn boy

Yup , at 55.8 some water , ( not much mind !) helps the senses get all that’s going , it’s a really nice dram , and when you consider this was from pretty much their first season distilling , makes me think there will be more good stuff to follow as they hone their craft ! I think it also shows the strength / quality of the distillate and  with good casks we get great whisky 
Have you tried the grain sample yet ? 

Did you get that tingly thing I was on about? Not usually arsed for comparing tasting notes because it's so personal but found that so intriguing. Never had a physical sensation from a dram before.

Was that the wee one? If so that's probably tonight, alongside a couple of beers.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Did you get that tingly thing I was on about? Not usually arsed for comparing tasting notes because it's so personal but found that so intriguing. Never had a physical sensation from a dram before.

Was that the wee one? If so that's probably tonight, alongside a couple of beers.

I know what you mean about it was like the dram is cleaning you palate  for you. ( though I’ve had drams in the past that tasted like cleaning a pallet or even a palatte  But those are horror stories for another day ) 

aye and sadly the grain is the wee ( small !) bottle thanks to Bladnoch for the generous tour drams bottle !

I know what you mean about it was like the dram is cleaning you palate  for you. ( though I’ve had drams in the past that tasted like cleaning a pallet or even a palatte  But those are horror stories for another day ) 
aye and sadly the grain is the wee ( small !) bottle thanks to Bladnoch for the generous tour drams bottle !
That's as good a way to describe it as I can think of. Maybe a spirit having a "cleaning" characteristic isnt desirable to the master distiller [emoji23] but I liked it!

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That's as good a way to describe it as I can think of. Maybe a spirit having a "cleaning" characteristic isnt desirable to the master distiller emoji23.png but I liked it!

I don’t know , as it cleans you are then getting the cereal notes and some fruit  ( personal taste as bairnardo espouses ) so it works well as part of the package 

I find it very drinkable , but am trying to “eke it out “ 

I don’t know , as it cleans you are then getting the cereal notes and some fruit  ( personal taste as bairnardo espouses ) so it works well as part of the package 
I find it very drinkable , but am trying to “eke it out “ 

Aye. As much as there are loads of whiskies I really like, it's hard to find ones with that wee something different going on.

Having tried the two, I will certianly enter and be willing to pay ballot prices for Daftmill. Just not paying the scalper prices! Once the wee bottle is nailed tonight I shall start getting the return sorted out [emoji106]

20 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye. As much as there are loads of whiskies I really like, it's hard to find ones with that wee something different going on.

Having tried the two, I will certianly enter and be willing to pay ballot prices for Daftmill. Just not paying the scalper prices! Once the wee bottle is nailed tonight I shall start getting the return sorted out emoji106.png

I have been lucky with the ballots , I do keep hoping at some point the collectibility will go away , and then it will be about drinking , which is where it is at. I think the hundred quid a bottle , is at the absolute outside of the value , there are plenty of great drams in that price bucket 

I have been lucky with the ballots , I do keep hoping at some point the collectibility will go away , and then it will be about drinking , which is where it is at. I think the hundred quid a bottle , is at the absolute outside of the value , there are plenty of great drams in that price bucket 
I liked the social media campaign they were doing about posting up pictures of your empty bottle. Think they maybe incentivised it somehow, to encourage drinking and enjoying

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Having tried the two, I will certianly enter and be willing to pay ballot prices for Daftmill. Just not paying the scalper prices! Once the wee bottle is nailed tonight I shall start getting the return sorted out emoji106.png

I heard an auld boy say once:

“There’s no such thing as bad whisky son. Some are just better than others”. 

Totally get what you mean though. After a while you get to a point where you’ve tried loads of different whisky and despite having your favourites, the wow-factor disappears for a while and you go ages between trying new ones.

Hows everyone's infinity bottles doing? I took mine on a recent ski trip for the chairlift nips and it went down really well with the guys I was with. They all spent all week trying to guess what it was and they were shocked when I told them. 

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

Hows everyone's infinity bottles doing? I took mine on a recent ski trip for the chairlift nips and it went down really well with the guys I was with. They all spent all week trying to guess what it was and they were shocked when I told them. 

Never been a fan , but each to his own 

4 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

Loch Lomond , looking it appears 46 and 53 were distilled on the same day , or more likely put into casks on the same day , so the comparison of the 2 should be interesting , before you go back Re blending them 

Yes, that'll happen. I'll be drinking most of it as they are. 

3 hours ago, CountyFan said:

I'm looking forward to getting mad professor with these three. It'll be interesting to see how the flavours change. I have a few miniature bottles and some labels. 

14 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Yes, that'll happen. I'll be drinking most of it as they are. 

I'm looking forward to getting mad professor with these three. It'll be interesting to see how the flavours change. I have a few miniature bottles and some labels. 

Go on then change my mind 

53 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Just had it there. Really liked it. Had a creamy, chocolatey feel and taste about it.

glad you like it , sadly it’s nearly finished , but the upside is when it’s gone , I get to open something else !