whisky lovers

Just aquired this from my mother in law.

Says she got it about 16 years ago.

Does anyone know if the drink is the same 10yo availlable today just in new packaging or if its changed since then aswell?1586096042164.thumb.jpeg.19494242688ffc0470110d673b504949.jpeg

https://regalwhisky.com/products/whisky/scotch-whisky/single-malt-whisky/glenmorangie-10-year-old-old-style.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_4HQwenR6AIVQ7DtCh2Gbgq-EAQYCSABEgJuDfD_BwE

Looks like it is a rare old style. Yours is a litre bottle too, can’t see from picture but is it 43% abv?

1 hour ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

https://regalwhisky.com/products/whisky/scotch-whisky/single-malt-whisky/glenmorangie-10-year-old-old-style.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_4HQwenR6AIVQ7DtCh2Gbgq-EAQYCSABEgJuDfD_BwE

Looks like it is a rare old style. Yours is a litre bottle too, can’t see from picture but is it 43% abv?

The Litre was ( and still is ) common at duty free , I’d hazard a guess that was where it wad bought , as to the spirit it will be not dissimilar to todays product , any real differences being the product of the quality of casks used for maturation 

14 hours ago, keithgy said:

Scottish Whiskey

Mods, please!

Oops.

Anyway, I see Stirling based booze vendor The Scottish Gantry are flogging a single cask limited edition Macallan. Would love to hear from any P&Ber who has been lucky enough to try it. At 800 quid a bottle, I can't see me getting a sniff.

1 hour ago, badgerthewitness said:

Mods, please!

Oops.

Anyway, I see Stirling based booze vendor The Scottish Gantry are flogging a single cask limited edition Macallan. Would love to hear from any P&Ber who has been lucky enough to try it. At 800 quid a bottle, I can't see me getting a sniff.

I've been in there. It must be in the running for 'Most Overpriced Whisky Shop in the World' award.

55 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Mods, please!

Oops.

Sorry , beyond my means , and not something that tickles my fancy , as they say 

Anything above a couple of hundred quid is for people who woudn't notice it missing out their wallet. Can't think anything above that would be worth the cost regardless of how good it was. The most tempted I've been is for a bottle of Black Art but I just keep talking myself out of it. It's still only 700ml of booze.

No its 40% which makes me think its proberly the same drink.

I agreed with the mother in law that if its worth decent cash but thecsame drink id sell it for her and shed get me a bottle of the current stuff.

But if its different spirit i could keep it to drink.

Or if its not really sellable i could keep it to drink

1 hour ago, the tungston weasel said:

No its 40% which makes me think its proberly the same drink.

I agreed with the mother in law that if its worth decent cash but thecsame drink id sell it for her and shed get me a bottle of the current stuff.

But if its different spirit i could keep it to drink.

Or if its not really sellable i could keep it to drink

People will buy older stuff , but as the google showed if they are selling for 90 , you might get 60 or so at auction  , is that  worth it or is it easier just to drink it 😎

Never got around to purchasing that Port Charlotte yet.

Its between that and a few others now, thoughts?

Port Charlotte 10
Bunnahahbain Toiteach
Port Askaig 100

Or anything else outwith the usual Lagavulin/Laphroaig.

£40-£50 region and available from Amazon (using a gift voucher)

39 minutes ago, wellfan09 said:

Port Charlotte 10
Bunnahahbain Toiteach
Port Askaig 100

Try a Ledaig or an Ardmore ( find an Indy bottling) or the tomintoul peated , Old Balantruan 10 , or I don’t see it mentioned so consider something from the Ardbeg stable 

Edited by bishopburn boy

1 hour ago, wellfan09 said:

Port Charlotte 10
Bunnahahbain Toiteach
Port Askaig 100

I've a bottle of the Port Charlotte and Bunnahahbain on the go at the moment. Can't go wrong with either but I'd say the Port Charlotte is the superior one for me.  Never tried the Port Askaig. 

1 hour ago, bishopburn boy said:

Try a Ledaig or an Ardmore ( find an Indy bottling) or the tomintoul peated , Old Balantruan 10 , or I don’t see it mentioned so consider something from the Ardbeg stable 

There's a James Eadie Ardmore on the go at the moment, think you can get it from Royal Mile Whiskies. The Ardbeg Uighedeal is on the high end of your price range but is very good. 

Port Askaig I think is Caol Ila but a drier, more smoky version (not more peaty). Smells a bit like burnt rubber tyres if you're into that sort of thing. Good when you're in the mood for it.

There's a James Eadie Ardmore on the go at the moment, think you can get it from Royal Mile Whiskies. The Ardbeg Uighedeal is on the high end of your price range but is very good. 

Whats the peatier/smokier of the two would you say?

I’ve looked at that Ardbeg, its not too far out of budget at £55.

Port Askaig I think is Caol Ila but a drier, more smoky version (not more peaty). Smells a bit like burnt rubber tyres if you're into that sort of thing. Good when you're in the mood for it.

Burnt rubber tyres haha sounds interesting!

Got a bottle of this stuff sherry cask 56.1%

Bottled by some swede.

My understanding is its a little like Aldis.

An unknown scottish malt , 19 years old , only 428 bottles from the cask blah blah blah.

However at 40 bucks worth a go.Screenshot_20200407-174928_Chrome.thumb.jpeg.bb0a50b2d026a1523af048ea78a2b019.jpeg

32 minutes ago, wellfan09 said:

Whats the peatier/smokier of the two would you say?

I’ve looked at that Ardbeg, its not too far out of budget at £55.

Ardbeg. Definitely Ardbeg. Oogie is also sherry cask matured so it's very rich.

Ardmore is still good but it's more lightly peated whereas Ardbeg are heavyweights in that dept.