whisky lovers

So my lockdown whiskys so far..

Glenfiddich project XX - A surprisingly very nice dram full of flavour and nicely sherried. Had their IPA one and was a bit meh. Also got their 21 yo rum cask which was rather disappointing so a welcome reprieve.

Smokehead high voltage - Young but not rough. Not as peaty as their standard one as its a fair bit of a sherry bomb too. Decent for the price.

Balblair 15 - been tanning it waaay too quickly. A lovely all rounder. Usually when its too easy to drink its quite flavourless but certainly not this 

Now Just finishing off a glenfarclas 21 Bottle that  had the dregs in it. Find it nicer than the 25 to be honest.

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

So my lockdown whiskys so far..

Glenfiddich project XX - A surprisingly very nice dram full of flavour and nicely sherried. Had their IPA one and was a bit meh. Also got their 21 yo rum cask which was rather disappointing so a welcome reprieve.

Smokehead high voltage - Young but not rough. Not as peaty as their standard one as its a fair bit of a sherry bomb too. Decent for the price.

Balblair 15 - been tanning it waaay too quickly. A lovely all rounder. Usually when its too easy to drink its quite flavourless but certainly not this 

Now Just finishing off a glenfarclas 21 Bottle that  had the dregs in it. Find it nicer than the 25 to be honest.

All really good picks except I haven't tried the smokehead. I will do when I can though.

I'm the same, Glenfarclas I would drink in order out of their core range: 21 > 15 > 25 > 17 > 105

Edited by GiGi

3 minutes ago, GiGi said:

All really good picks except I haven't tried the smokehead. I will do when I can though.

I'm the same, Glenfarclas I would drink in order out of their core range: 21 > 15 > 25 > 17 > 105

Yeah the 105 is very popular for some reason. On paper its right up my street, a cask strength sherry cask so was rather underwhelmed. Cant fault them though as like how they haven’t relented with constantly changing bottle styles and very reasonably priced.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Yeah the 105 is very popular for some reason. On paper its right up my street, a cask strength sherry cask so was rather underwhelmed. Cant fault them though as like how they haven’t relented with constantly changing bottle styles and very reasonably priced.

I mean I do like the 105 it just needs a touch of water. I just like the others more and as you say, still family owned, not marketing heavy and value for money.

I tried a 1999 family cask and oh boy am I going to treat myself to one of those for my 30th next year. Right, right up there.

105 used to be a litre for 40 notes. That
would explain its popularity in my house [emoji23]

Not had it for ages though as I haven't seen it at proper bang for her buck prices for a long time.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

105 used to be a litre for 40 notes. That
would explain its popularity in my house emoji23.png

Not had it for ages though as I haven't seen it at proper bang for her buck prices for a long time.

Aye when I got it was only about a 5er cheaper than Aberlour a'bunadh so fancied that for the extra 5 quid. The a’bunadh has gone way up in price though and think its a bit younger now too. Still like the stuff though.

25 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Aye when I got it was only about a 5er cheaper than Aberlour a'bunadh so fancied that for the extra 5 quid. The a’bunadh has gone way up in price though and think its a bit younger now too. Still like the stuff though.

I love Abunadh too but just cant bring myself to spring for it now unfortunately. Aberlour do lots of good stuff, in fact they dont make anything bad IMO, but they fucked up by pricing Abunadh out for me. 

On 28/03/2020 at 16:32, G_Man1985 said:

But you have enough money to have something to sit about that potentially might not be a huge investment in the future?

I dont drink whiskey so cant comment regarding drinking it but think a wee fib you couldnt afford to pay for two.

You choose not to. A slight difference

It's an investment chief - there's an element of risk attached but nothing worth worrying about.

Yes, I did choose not to...because I couldn't afford it. 

Bit of Frankenwhisky tonight. Roughly 2 parts 5yr old Auchentoshan (sherry puncheon and not great on its own), 1 part Aberlour A'Bunadh (batch 56 not my favourite but not bad) and 1 part a salty Bunnahabhain 10 yr old from Douglas Laing. The resulting mixture has turned out to be really quite good and better than any of the individual components. Except maybe the Bunna which is lovely itself but it's close. It plays down the harshness of the Auchentoshan, the nailpolish remover scent that this batch of A'Bunadh seems to have and the lack of sweetness and depth that the Bunnahabhain has.

Good way of getting through stuff that's not that appealing otherwise.

Edited by GiGi