whisky lovers

Got given a bottle of Auchentoshan American Oak, which tastes like diesel to my taste buds, so sneaked out for an emergency bottle of Monkey Shoulder and am sitting in blended bliss with the gift giver none the wiser. :)

Edited by welshbairn

22 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

There's something to discuss here: optimal drinking temperature for a neat single malt. I'm no expert, merely an enthusiastic learner. But I like my dram room temperature. Too cold diminishes the flavours.

Not much of a discussion about it: whisky is best drank as enjoyed.

For people who like to taste all a whisky has to offer then room temp and a few drops of water to taste (If at all) is the way to go. Some just like it with ice and that's alright, it takes the edge off the alcohol if you're not into that.

Some even like it with mixer which is right weird behaviour but somewhere in your town there will be people putting ketchup on pasta so best just leave them to it. 

55 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Not much of a discussion about it: whisky is best drank as enjoyed.

For people who like to taste all a whisky has to offer then room temp and a few drops of water to taste (If at all) is the way to go. Some just like it with ice and that's alright, it takes the edge off the alcohol if you're not into that.

Some even like it with mixer which is right weird behaviour but somewhere in your town there will be people putting ketchup on pasta so best just leave them to it. 

Aye ,just that ,  I was taught never to water another man’s whisky 

Glenrothes Vintage Reserve

GlenDronach 12yo (complete with fancy hip-flask)

3x50ml of Balvenie Doublewood 12 & 17yos and Caribbean cask.

Inevitable bottles from brothers yet to come.

Can't complain.  

On 25/12/2019 at 12:55, Bairnardo said:

Clynelish 14 is great. One I have always meant to revisit

Aye I've had it in a pub before and enjoyed it. Tonight the first time I've been able to sit down in the house and savour it. It's like peppered silk in your mouth. A drop of water makes it slightly sweeter like a brown sugar or treacle note. Smashing stuff.

2 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

Glengoyne cask strength tonight , neat for philpy

Excellent malt. The spirit has a really good malty, cereal character that shines at cask strength. On of my favourite bottles at the price.

I got an Aberfeldy 12 year old in the work raffle- anybody got an opinion, I’ve never tried it but will soon obviously.

It’s a nice enough smooth whisky. Nothing too complicated and memorable but the kind of Whisky I’d always like to have in a collection. The kind of whisky where if you were paying more than £25 for it, then you’re paying too much.

Got a bottle of Mortlach 14 from my Mrs for Christmas. Decent  not up to the Balvennie standard for me but I would have it again. On the other hand the Ancnoc 12 year old that I bought to try something new was pretty dire. Tasted more like Pernod than whisky to me. 

mortlach.png

ancnoc-12-year-old-whisky.jpg

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

Got a bottle of Mortlach 14 from my Mrs for Christmas. Decent  not up to the Balvennie standard for me but I would have it again. On the other hand the Ancnoc 12 year old that I bought to try something new was pretty dire. Tasted more like Pernod than whisky to me. 

mortlach.png

Just shows you how there are  different strokes for different folks. I really like the anCnoc. 

16 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Just shows you how there are  different strokes for different folks. I really like the anCnoc. 

True, one man's meat... If you are willing to pay the postage from New Zealand, you can have it for free.   Only one dram light of a full bottle.

23 hours ago, madmitch said:

mortlach.png

The Mortlach 16 is a decent bit better than the 14, but it's double the money. There's a Gordon & McPhail 15YO bottling still knocking around from a couple of years ago that's fantastic, and still gettable for about 75USD. My old boy's over from the motherland so I took him to the reigning world's best whisky bar last night (Delilah's) and far too much money was spent. 

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

The Mortlach 16 is a decent bit better than the 14, but it's double the money. There's a Gordon & McPhail 15YO bottling still knocking around from a couple of years ago that's fantastic, and still gettable for about 75USD. My old boy's over from the motherland so I took him to the reigning world's best whisky bar last night (Delilah's) and far too much money was spent. 

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if Gordon and McPhail 15YO is available in NZ.  Thats's the problem with drinking good whisky, once you start it's hard to stop!  

Edited by madmitch
typo