whisky lovers

Day 2 on Islay, sun hasn't came up today but managed a long walk along some of the seven miles of the Long Strand beach. Prince Charles once crashed his plane nearly onto this beach, having overshot the runway at the airport.

Visited Bowmore had a 10 year old something something. Got soaked.

Visited Ardnahoe. Had a very nice Americano. It didn't rain. Lovely building, has the most complicated wifi password I've ever seen, but look forward to trying their stuff when it's ready (production started this year).

Visited Bunnahabhain. It was windy but dry. Tried (and bought) a 9yo French Oak and just bought a 12yo Pedro Ximinex cask. Two wee one third bottles to take home for Xmas.

Popped over and back on the Jura ferry.

Have now visited all of the Islay distilleries on this trip bar Laphroaig (been many times on previous visits), Caol Ila (shut for new visitor centre construction), and Bruichladdich (not enough time).

Back to mainland tomorrow, boo.

Ps. Strong thumbs up to the Islay Ales Finlaggan IPA which my hotel sold me too much of last night. IMG_20191207_102558.jpegIMG_20191207_130736.jpeg

Glengoyne 21 on Amazon for £82. If you like richly sherried whisky get in about that price because I can't remember seeing it below 100 quid before.

Edit to add it's also fucking lovely and I highly recommend it.

Edited by GiGi

Glengoyne 21 on Amazon for £82. If you like richly sherried whisky get in about that price because I can't remember seeing it below 100 quid before.

Thanks for this, 2 bottles ordered! One for the old man's Christmas.

5 hours ago, GiGi said:

I paid £93 for it last year on an Amazon deal. Usually around £120 on Amazon and higher elsewhere. I'm in for another one, it's superb...cheers for that.

Cant find that aldi one anywhere (or at least in the two aldi's I was in today. Both said they only got 1 case and it disappeared pretty much immediately). 

Had much more luck with the amazon flash deals - bowmore 15yo for £39.99 and oban 14yo for £38.99 were today's shouts. 

Treated myself to a 16 Glenlivet Nadura, cask strength. Meant to keep it for Christmas but cracked tonight, lovely!

That’s also available as a NAS. It’s completely mediocre.

You made the right choice with the harder to find 16 yo.