whisky lovers

On 23/10/2019 at 15:26, the tungston weasel said:

Whats everyones opinions of duty free whiskys. I bought a bottle of auchentoshan springwood as i havent had anything from there before and was quite exited about trying it only to be left fairly dissapointed and find myself pouring anything but.

I also bought a glenlivit distillers reserve and although this is much nicer than the auchentoshan is not as good as the readilly available founders reserve.

Is the duty free shops just given stock of whisky that the distillerys want rid of and its easiest to punt from there?

The deals are usually worth a gamble IMO. My last purchase was 3 x L for 120 quid so anything half decent worth it.

I got a Glen Scotia Campbelltown 1832. They just dont do bad whisky. I got a Highland Park - cannae mind name - not very good. Bunnahabhainn An Cladach. Perfectly serviceable Islay.

Hit and miss but part of fun of flying for me.

17 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The deals are usually worth a gamble IMO. My last purchase was 3 x L for 120 quid so anything half decent worth it.

I got a Glen Scotia Campbelltown 1832. They just dont do bad whisky. I got a Highland Park - cannae mind name - not very good. Bunnahabhainn An Cladach. Perfectly serviceable Islay.

Hit and miss but part of fun of flying for me.

I love duty free shops. Free samples, the chance to buy interesting whiskies. I can’t think of a better way to waste time in an airport.

I’ve had a couple of brilliant whiskies from DF.  

One was some cask strength Port Finished Laphroaig.

The other was some  Macallan Distiller’s Edition that was given to me, it was really good but not really my idea of VFM.

Thanks everyone. Im glad its not just me to be dissapointed by the springwood. As i said the glenlivit distillers reserve was alright but still number 4 for me on my shelf.

Currently i have;

1. Highland park 12 yo viking honour
2. Buffalo trace 40%
3. Glenfiddich 12 yo
4. Glenlivit distlliers reserve (1L duty free)
5. Auchentoshan springwood (1L duty free)

Thats my preference in order however 1-3 may change depending on mood.

I think i have a good variation there however i am after expanding the collection with somthing affordable yet a bit different from what i have already.

I have been looking at things like wild turky 101 as an adventure down the burbon direction an something a bit stronger and monkey shoulder as a bit of a fancy blend.

Anybody got any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/05/2017 at 17:23, thomas said:

Does anyone know if there are any sites I could use to price selling a bottle that I have. I used to check thewhiskyexchange.com to at least get an idea of what they sell it for, problem is that they're now out of it and have been for a year or so. The last price it was selling at was around £200 I wouldn't expect that for it, if I'm honest I'm not looking to sell it right now anyway but would just like a rough worth for it. I got a good few bottles from my uncle who lived up north, he used to get them at about £15 a bottle. As far as i know Macallan were planing on changing the bottle style, people kept lifting them by the cork and with a heavy glass bottom this ment people constantly dropping them. In the end they just decided to discontinue it rather than go through with this. I've got 2 bottles left that I plan on keeping and hopefully making a few quid on.

Looked back into this and it looks like keeping these bottles may have been a good idea. 

Screenshot_20191110-202202_Gallery.jpg

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Was anyone at the Glasgow Whisky Festival at Hampden on Saturday? My cousin is one of the director's and any feedback is always welcome.

Yeah, it was really good. Only feedback would be I wish they'd better publicised that there would be a food bank collection. Loads of folk didn't appear to know about it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Boys,

So quiet on here recently, but I'm in for both of these on Amazon Black Friday:

Berry Brothers & Rudd Craigellachie 2006 Cask Speyside Single Malt Whisky 57.5% ABV, 70 cl £45.95

Berry Brothers & Rudd Blair Athol 2007 Cask Highland Single Malt Whisky 55.2% ABV, 70 cl £40.80

Edited by Peedzy

Boys,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QBCVCL4/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Berry Brothers & Rudd Craigellachie 2006 Cask Speyside Single Malt Whisky 57.5% ABV, 70 cl £45.95

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QBCTRWG/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item  

Berry Brothers & Rudd Blair Athol 2007 Cask Highland Single Malt Whisky 55.2% ABV, 70 cl £40.80

The Berry Bros sherry cask blend is an absolute steal at 24 quid. Buy that.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
3 hours ago, Peedzy said:
Boys,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QBCVCL4/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QBCTRWG/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item  

The Berry Bros sherry cask blend is an absolute steal at 24 quid. Buy that.

It really is, I've still got a second one on the go from the last time they had the deal on. The first one didn't last long.