whisky lovers

22 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I had a membership when I lived in Leith. The Vaults was a great place to visit, really enjoyed just sitting in there of a Sunday with the papers, some lunch (great food) and a couple of nips.

I never really took to the Queen Street room, it was more of a stuffy dining room, not very friendly.

The London room was tiny and not really worth venturing over to unless you happened to be in Farringdon.

The range of whiskies is superb and with a little bit of know how you quickly learn how to decode the mysterious numbers on their bottles. And their tasting notes are very entertaining.

If you join, I'd recommend going to a tasting session, it's a really good way to get you out of your routine tastes and find new stuff.

I've let my membership lapse only as it's a bit of a faff for me to get home from Leith now if I'm not able to drive.

I'll consider it then, Glasgow is easy enough for me and if nothing else will get a bit of value for the fee at least for a year.

Will maybe wait for the venue to open first and see what people think.

Le Tout 100% reflects my experience. I always go to Leith. Took the missus to Queen St for tea and we enjoyed it but the members lounge is a bit strange and limited to latest out turn

Living in Dundee its a bit of fun for me rather than worth it financially. I try and get 4 times a year so essentially 15 quid a visit and i maybe buy half dozen bottles a year.

Ill probably go to Glasgow one every month if any good but would still need to squeeze in the pot still and bon accord 

If UTD would get their finger out and get promoted it would be a help.

Edited by invergowrie arab

The Grill in Aberdeen tonight. Easy a top 5 whisky bar in Scotland contender  (prob #2 after Pot Still IMO).

You can have your single casks, rare expressions etc but pound for pound o dont think you can beat this. 

Every Campbelltown malt, even standard bottlings, are superb

20191013_213810.jpg

The above has made me have a think. What are everyone’s favourite bars/pubs for whisky? Doesn’t necessarily need to be the selection, but atmosphere etc as well.

My top 5 off the top of my head would probably be:

1. Pot Still 

2. Bon Accord

3. Canny Man’s

4. Brauhaus Lauriston St

5. Malt Room

Agree with the station hotel in Larbert. Plenty of different beers on tap too. Larbert also has a great chinese and apparently a great indian too, an underrated town/suburb. 

I do like the Grill in Aberdeen but its often full of oil and gas show off wanks but the bar itself is a classic. Casc was decent enough when I went in there but only been in once.

In Stirling there is the curly coo, the owner is known to be a bit of a cow but I have found her to be sound enough. Nice horseshoe style bar and high ceilings.

However it really is hard to beat the Pot Still. Its become a victim of its own success and is  now mobbed whenever I try and go in Glasgow. 

Also Been meaning to try the Artisan in Wishaw which is meant to be good.

Edited by gannonball

Whats everyones opinions of duty free whiskys. I bought a bottle of auchentoshan springwood as i havent had anything from there before and was quite exited about trying it only to be left fairly dissapointed and find myself pouring anything but.

I also bought a glenlivit distillers reserve and although this is much nicer than the auchentoshan is not as good as the readilly available founders reserve.

Is the duty free shops just given stock of whisky that the distillerys want rid of and its easiest to punt from there?

Young whisky dressed up in shiny packaging mostly. 

You did pick the wrong duty free Auchentoshan right enough. Blood Oak is lovely, Springwood as you say is meh.

3 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

Whats everyones opinions of duty free whiskys. I bought a bottle of auchentoshan springwood as i havent had anything from there before and was quite exited about trying it only to be left fairly dissapointed and find myself pouring anything but.

I also bought a glenlivit distillers reserve and although this is much nicer than the auchentoshan is not as good as the readilly available founders reserve.

Is the duty free shops just given stock of whisky that the distillerys want rid of and its easiest to punt from there?

Overpriced , it may be duty free , but it is certainly not profit free , and mostly 1l bottles of what you can get in the supermarket , or ridiculously overpriced pretendy rare stuff , exclusively bottled in a coo’s horn or some such

I did once get a litre of glenfarclas 105 for the equivalent of 26.50 in Norway  , years ago , helped myself to 2,  never seen anything like it since 

so the moral of the story is keep looking there might be a bargain to be had ! 

Not always. Some bottles get soft-launched thru duty free before they hit the wider market. The Johnnie Walker Explorers Club line (now gone) was an airport retail exclusive and the Spice Road (lowest priced of the range) was a legitimately good bottle of whisky for $30, bearing in mind anything half decent in the US is normally at least $50.

On 14/10/2019 at 09:35, Honest_Man#1 said:

The above has made me have a think. What are everyone’s favourite bars/pubs for whisky? Doesn’t necessarily need to be the selection, but atmosphere etc as well.

I went to a decent wee whisky pub called Monty's on Morrison Street last week, very handy for a swift dram before catching the train at Haymarket. Good selection of "Malt of the Moment" offerings at a decent price. Big selection of indie bottlers alongside more standard bottlings. 

Other one not mentioned yet is Nauticus down by Leith Links. They have some partnership with Royal Mile Whiskies and do their own bottlings occasionally.

Besides that, Leith Vaults, Bow Bar and Pot Still all worth a visit. 

Outside the central belt, the Mash Tun in Aberlour has a good selection and staff who will give you some chat about what you're choosing. I'm up in Speyside next month and going to try and visit the highlander bar too. 

19 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

I find the lower end stuff is cheaper in supermarkets or on Amazon. I am quite a mug for duty free exclusives especially if its to a particular airport.