whisky lovers

Just ordered a Kilchoman Machair bay. Anybody any thoughts on this whisky ??
Great choice. The lady at the front desk remembered my son's name a year apart. Tells you nothing about what the drink tastes like, but a great deal about the people who work there.

I have generally found their whisky to be excellent for its age. Still a relatively new distillery, but their range is excellent value.

Great choice. The lady at the front desk remembered my son's name a year apart. Tells you nothing about what the drink tastes like, but a great deal about the people who work there.

I have generally found their whisky to be excellent for its age. Still a relatively new distillery, but their range is excellent value.

Well that’s made me look forward to it arriving on Monday even more,cheers for that

Addressed a dry house by buying a bottle on the way home tonight (not every day Brechin win a game after all). 

Opted for the Old Pultney 12yo, largely due to the appealing £25.50 deal in my local Scotmid. 

Very impressed. Definitely getting the salty aftertaste but after a hint of roasted nuts. Basically a mix of KP nuts thrown into a dram. 

Bought my dad an arran 21 year old for his 70th. Never had anything beyond 15 years before.

First taste it was rough then second it was nice and it has depth. Not sure I could drink it to get pissed. Definitely one for occasional drink.

I thought it would be smoother.

Sherry cask speyside ftw

Edit last bottle I bought was from aldi

Excellent speyside and recommended

Went to Tesco to pick up a bottle of Highland Park for £25 last week. Perhaps unsurprisingly it was sold out so plumped for a bottle of Glenfairn, dubiously calling itself a Speyside single malt, despite being distilled in Glasgow. It turns out to be very, very good. £18 a bottle!

Can anyone recommend a good distillery tour on Speyside. More focussed towards tasting.
Either something that gives you tastes of rare expressions, just loads of nips, or even better a combination of both.

I only managed to do the tour at Aberlour, but was told Aberlour and Glenlivet are the two best in respect of what you’re after.

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Can anyone recommend a good distillery tour on Speyside. More focussed towards tasting.

Either something that gives you tastes of rare expressions, just loads of nips, or even better a combination of both.

Depends on your budget, the more you pay then the more of the good stuff gets poured.

I've heard good things about the Aberlour tour and tasting. There's a few options but I think the one around £35 is a decent tasting session with someone talking you through it. Balvenie also looks good but is at least £40 a head from memory. I'm hoping to go round Aberlour in a few weeks. 

The Glenlivet tour was free when I went and finished in the bar area. You got one glass as part of the tour and could buy more from the bar. Not sure if they have other options. I went to Glen Moray and they do tastings in the coffee shop area without the need for a tour. You could get a four dram flight for around £20. I've done the Macallan tour but wouldn't recommend it, pretty disappointing selection of drams at the end. 

16 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

I only managed to do the tour at Aberlour, but was told Aberlour and Glenlivet are the two best in respect of what you’re after.

8 hours ago, BigTidy said:

Depends on your budget, the more you pay then the more of the good stuff gets poured.

I've heard good things about the Aberlour tour and tasting. There's a few options but I think the one around £35 is a decent tasting session with someone talking you through it. Balvenie also looks good but is at least £40 a head from memory. I'm hoping to go round Aberlour in a few weeks. 

The Glenlivet tour was free when I went and finished in the bar area. You got one glass as part of the tour and could buy more from the bar. Not sure if they have other options. I went to Glen Moray and they do tastings in the coffee shop area without the need for a tour. You could get a four dram flight for around £20. I've done the Macallan tour but wouldn't recommend it, pretty disappointing selection of drams at the end. 

Cheers lads balvenie and aberlour were what i read so thats probably what i will do. Theres time for a gentlemanly recovery lunch between the two as well.

30/40 is average i would spend on a good quality tasting tour. 70 odds at Highland Park but worth it.

Edited by invergowrie arab

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

SMWS confirm they are opening a members room in Bath St Jan 2020.

Delighted i renewed as im Glasgow every month anyway.

I'd consider joining if it was any good. Experience of their other members room?

I'd consider joining if it was any good. Experience of their other members room?
I had a membership when I lived in Leith. The Vaults was a great place to visit, really enjoyed just sitting in there of a Sunday with the papers, some lunch (great food) and a couple of nips.

I never really took to the Queen Street room, it was more of a stuffy dining room, not very friendly.

The London room was tiny and not really worth venturing over to unless you happened to be in Farringdon.

The range of whiskies is superb and with a little bit of know how you quickly learn how to decode the mysterious numbers on their bottles. And their tasting notes are very entertaining.

If you join, I'd recommend going to a tasting session, it's a really good way to get you out of your routine tastes and find new stuff.

I've let my membership lapse only as it's a bit of a faff for me to get home from Leith now if I'm not able to drive.