whisky lovers

One of my co-workers was at a party last weekend for his mum who had received some worrying health news. His dad had passed away with a brain tumor or something five years ago, so in a kind of YOLO type way, they cracked out dad’s dusty bottle of Glendronach 33 yo that the mum knew was pricy but had no idea how pricy. It had previously been opened years ago and, sadly, the cork had caramelized over the years and broke in the bottle when they tried to open it, so they had to pour it through a sieve and stick it in a decanter. The whisky, according to the workmate, was outstanding and the cheeky c**t managed to get himself a house double of it. 

E596DD28-BAE7-48B0-9459-7568A1B33544.jpeg

9 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

Just more expensive , on a like for like basis , age wise 

It's more expensive for sure. I think a bottle of Nikka is about £50 in Tescos when they rarely stock it.

It's a totally different aroma, texture and flavour. 

20 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Was only asking the boys to simmer down. It was an autocorrect error followed by an amusing riposte. Then the pair of them went for it. I've not tried Irish whiskey but have enjoyed some of the American stuff, for what it's worth.

An irish whiskey won malt of the year at the world whisky awards this year FWIW. 

Dalmore 12 is my go to dram, lovely and reasonable about the £40 mark. Getting a bit older and found my tastes moving from big peaty numbers ,Lagavulin used to be my number one, to the more sherried whiskies. Still wouldn't say no to a Lagavulin, ever.

Here’s a photo of the three bottles I’ve got on the go at present. I like Eagle Rare, Woodford Reserve, Hudson Bay, Tin Cup, but old Jimbo’ is my absolute favourite.... One block of ice, real Coke, no Pepsi shite accepted. (Sits back and awaits scorn to be poured upon his heathen head.) 😀

8B904B8E-B8D6-4F77-803B-F263E3F559BD.jpeg

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Here’s a photo of the three bottles I’ve got on the go at present. I like Eagle Rare, Woodford Reserve, Hudson Bay, Tin Cup, but old Jimbo’ is my absolute favourite.... One block of ice, real Coke, no Pepsi shite accepted. (Sits back and awaits scorn to be poured upon his heathen head.) 😀

@Moomintroll I know you like calling for people to be binned. THIS is a proper reason.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Most people grow out of sugary drinks when they reach adulthood.

10 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I quite like red stag 

That Jim Beam single barrel (middle of the three), is a thing of beauty. The double-oaked is the smoothest of the three, and the Black is a good, solid go-to bourbon. My wife prefers Jim Beam White - at 40% it’s more to her taste. We go to the USA two or three times a year, have done so since 1997... explains why (for our sins) we became bourbon, and NFL fans.

9 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Dont let them tell you different, Jim Beam is excellent at providing barrels for people that actually know how to make whisky.