whisky lovers

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, Hamish said:

I was gifted it for Christmas. It’s the edition which was bottled in the 90s, the distillery has changed hands since its production so not sure how it compares to todays Glen Keith.

It’s an ok dram, a bit too grassy/herbally for me, smells better than it tastes. Not much of an after taste, so if the newer version is similar, i would have it in the bland, easy drinking category.

Edit to add: I haven’t tried anything from your collection. I tried the Glenfarclas 105 last week, which was like rocket fuel. Clearly not ready for that strength as yet emoji23.png.

Add a splash of water and persevere. Higher strength is better IMHO

Have to agree with bairnardo , add a few drops and no hurry , give it time 

59 minutes ago, spud131 said:

Looking to get a decent bottle of whisky for someone for a gift. Apparently he likes Ardbeg, anyone recommend anything similar?

Get him some Ardbeg 10 , route 1 there , also there is ( or was ) a 10 in a wee tin that looked like one of the warehouses , would make a nice gift 

On 07/06/2019 at 20:29, Bairnardo said:

25 quid on Amazon lads. Get some. 20190607_202337.jpg

Reliably informed it’s Glenrothes , but they are not allowed to say it is , which kinda makes sense as they were the distributors odd said dram for many years and still have stocks 

My whisky shelf: 

Monkey Shoulder

Auchentoshan American oak 

Jura journey

Jura 10yo 

Dalmore 12 yo

Glengoyne 12yo

Glen Garioch 12 yo

Balvennie 12yo

Deanston 12yo

Dalwhinnie distillers edition 

Balvennie Caribbean cask 14yo 

Glengoyne 15 yo

Longmorn 16yo

Arran 18yo

Glenfarclas 18yo

Longmorn 23yo rum cask CS

North Star Vega 23yo

North Star Vega 33yo

North Star Vega 41yo

Been 'collecting' for 2 years or so... probably should stop spending so much money on whisky. 

2 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

Reliably informed it’s Glenrothes , but they are not allowed to say it is , which kinda makes sense as they were the distributors odd said dram for many years and still have stocks 

Is this still 25 quid? Glenrothes is lovely. 

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

My whisky shelf: 

Monkey Shoulder

Auchentoshan American oak 

Jura journey

Jura 10yo 

Dalmore 12 yo

Glengoyne 12yo

Glen Garioch 12 yo

Balvennie 12yo

Deanston 12yo

Dalwhinnie distillers edition 

Balvennie Caribbean cask 14yo 

Glengoyne 15 yo

Longmorn 16yo

Arran 18yo

Glenfarclas 18yo

Longmorn 23yo rum cask CS

North Star Vega 23yo

North Star Vega 33yo

North Star Vega 41yo

Been 'collecting' for 2 years or so... probably should stop spending so much money on whisky. 

That is a goodly shelf , Do I detect an ambivalence to Peat , In the dram collection ?

get them all drinked , then you can add more and not feel guilty !

16 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

That is a goodly shelf , Do I detect an ambivalence to Peat , In the dram collection ?

get them all drinked , then you can add more and not feel guilty !

Yes but not deliberately, I'm aware it's very speyside heavy. I took a bit longer to get into the smoke and the peat when I started out as probably most folk do. Just need to find some I like and it will be added to the collection. 

My current collection:

Talisker 10 YO

Clynelish 14 YO

Aberlour A'Bunadh

Dalwhinnie Winters Gold

Singleton of Glen Ord 15 YO

Bell's

Johnnie Walker Black Label

Johnnie Walker Double Black

Johnnie Walker Green Label

Johnnie Walker White Walker

My current ‘whisky shelf’...

Jim Beam double oaked

Woodford Reserve

Eagle Rare

Hudson Bay

I cannot even smell our Scotch whisky without feeling sick, but I love bourbon. I have met at least three people in my lifetime who are exactly the same. Someone told me it’s to do with the different grains used. I have no idea, but hand on heart, if I even smell a Scotch, I want to retch. Give me a bourbon, a splash of real Coke (no Pepsi shit), and one ice cube - I’m in heaven.

A bit of a weird bunch on my drinking shelf at the moment. Quite peat heavy and no Speysiders to mention. Not a bad bottle amongst them though.

Ardbeg Drum - Committee release

Ardbeg  Uigeadail

Buffalo Trace - Single Oak Project 101

Hakushu 12

Highland Park Sigurd 

Kilkerran 8 CS

Kilkerran 12

Kilkerran Peat in Progress Batch 1

Ledaig 12 Single Cask for Whisky Show 2018

Port Charlotte 10

Springbank 12 CS 2018

Talisker 57 north

plus of course my Infinity Bottle which is sat about 1/3 full and isn’t too bad at the moment! 

Would like to add a couple of Speysiders soon. Any recommendations? 

47 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Give us your 5 favourites? 

You could ask me that tomorrow and I'd probably give a different 5. No particular order. 

1. Glendronach 15 - this must have some hefty PX influence because it's raisiny, sticky sweet.

2. Macallan Edition 4 - rich oloroso, reasonably priced at the time. Bang for buck a classy, sherried whisky. 

3. Springbank 12 CS - it's just awesome. Raved about on here. 

4. Deanston 20 Port cask - picked this up at the distillery and it's dynamite. Genuinely one of the best whiskies I've tried.

5. Tomatin 16 - G&M single cask. It's like fresh banana bread in a glass, superb. On my last half in the bottle. 

Honourable mentions to a Glenallachie 12 single cask from Rest and be Thankful, Octomore 7.3 and Hazelwood 13 oloroso cask. 

6 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

An ex-worker of the Glenrothes would agree.

Similarly, I believe that Aldi's £17 per bottle 'Glen Marnoch' Highland single malt is Glen Ord.  If it's not, then it's still one of the best quality : value drams widely available and I'd thoroughly recommend.

... as I hold a Cutty Sark (don't smirk)

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

My current ‘whisky shelf’...

Jim Beam double oaked

Woodford Reserve

Eagle Rare

Hudson Bay

I cannot even smell our Scotch whisky without feeling sick, but I love bourbon. I have met at least three people in my lifetime who are exactly the same. Someone told me it’s to do with the different grains used. I have no idea, but hand on heart, if I even smell a Scotch, I want to retch. Give me a bourbon, a splash of real Coke (no Pepsi shit), and one ice cube - I’m in heaven.

There are some nice bourbons out there , - as an introduction to scotch , hunt out a single grain from virgin or ex bourbon - cameronbridge is a good easy starter , otherwise try and find the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof , lovely stuff 

BTW you have a “whiskey shelf “ 

Edited by bishopburn boy