whisky lovers

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Malting floors are very rare now. Bowmore, Laphroaig and Kilchoman definitely have their own, but I think also buy in a lot due to volumes needed.

Bowmore’s malting floor is just for the tourists. The vast % of their barley will be bought in.

18 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I've had a wee look at the Springbank website. It says they are the only distillery to malt 100% of their barley.

Malting floors are very rare now. Bowmore, Laphroaig and Kilchoman definitely have their own, but I think also buy in a lot due to volumes needed.

It's a great experience climbing about inside the malt bins at Bowmore.

Unfortunately, I also ventured into the tours section of the Springbank website and I'm now wondering when I can justify the eight hour round trip plus hotels to do the four hour Wee Toon Walking & Warehouse Tour with "a few hand drawn cask whiskies" which sounds amazing. A mere £85!

For the oligarchs there is even a £250 tour offering you a production experience including blending and taking home your own bottle based on your own recipe from your extensive tasting research.

It all sounds pretty bloody good to me.

The way to justify would be to take 3 or 4 days and take in Glen Scotia and Arran too. Do them either side of a Kyle's match and that sounds like a nice wee break.

21 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Was at Port Ellen maltings a couple of years ago and they had a sizeable quantity of malt for Kilchoman. I think there's a lot of marketing froth with Kilchoman. Am not that chuffed with them.

If you want a genuine farmer/ distiller then check out Daftmill in Fife.

Have to agree , Daftmill are turning out some lovely spirit , it is however pricey , due to “rarity” expect to see some single cask version soon , luvians, royal mile and berry’s in London all have their own cask , so time to be on the lookout !

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

The way to justify would be to take 3 or 4 days and take in Glen Scotia and Arran too. Do them either side of a Kyle's match and that sounds like a nice wee break.

Funny you should say that, I'm taking a week in June to go to Arran for a couple of days, then over to Kintrye for another couple of nights to do Springbank and Glengyle, then Cadenheads and possibly Glen Scotia if I can fit it in.

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

Funny you should say that, I'm taking a week in June to go to Arran for a couple of days, then over to Kintrye for another couple of nights to do Springbank and Glengyle, then Cadenheads and possibly Glen Scotia if I can fit it in.

That's some jaunt. Glen Scotia well worth a visit too btw.

2 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

Have to agree , Daftmill are turning out some lovely spirit , it is however pricey , due to “rarity” expect to see some single cask version soon , luvians, royal mile and berry’s in London all have their own cask , so time to be on the lookout !

Eyes peeled then.

Btw... Pot Still have the first indy bottling of Annandale available btw - not up there with Daftmill, I know - but a decent peated cask strength at £50 IIRC.

3 hours ago, gannonball said:

Was at SMWS tasting on Friday and apparently they are opening a bar (members only though Im guessing) now in the centre of Glasgow. Good to hear as the Pot Still is always packed whenever I have been in it these days.

Ooft I swithered about renewing as I'm barely in Edinburgh these days but a Glasgow venue would swing it 

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are partial to a sherry bomb there is Glenlivet first fill oloroso (55%) on Amazon right now for 46 quid. I got one before and really liked it but I’m sure it was cask strength (60+%), it needed a fair bit of water though so hopeing it should still be good.

Edited by gannonball

44 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Got a bottle of Scapa 14 year old just now for $25. Not one that’s come across my path before. Anyone tried it?

I had a bottle of Scapa single malt as a Xmas gift; can't remember its age. It was pleasant but not exciting in any way. Not a patch on most Islay or Speyside malts.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Got a bottle of Scapa 14 year old just now for $25. Not one that’s come across my path before. Anyone tried it?

You got a bottle of Scapa 14 for $25?! I'm sure they are worth about 6 times that  least. Its quite sought after because there isn't much stock with it being shut for 10 years around the millenium. Not a fan of there NAS stuff you get in the airports etc but yet to have a bad aged statement one since I have been working up in Orkney.

Edited by gannonball

You got a bottle of Scapa 14 for $25?! I'm sure they are worth about 6 times that  least. Its quite sought after because there isn't much stock with it being such for 10 years around the millenium. Not a fan of there NAS stuff you get in the airports etc but yet to have a bad aged statement one since I have been working up in Orkney.

Okay... there’s a bloke round the corner with a whole bunch of them in stock. I’ll take names and addresses. I’ll ask him how he got them!

Edit: it may have been $35, but either way, it’s a bargain.

Edit 2: what you say makes sense because I’d genuinely never heard of it.

30 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Okay... there’s a bloke round the corner with a whole bunch of them in stock. I’ll take names and addresses. I’ll ask him how he got them!

That's mental if I were you I would buy as much as you can even as an investment.

It definitely is. My old boy is halfway thru a bottle he got ages ago, doesn't like it that much, found out it was worth £140 and is now kicking himself quite hard for opening it.

I'll be in Wick tomorrow for about an hour. Passing through...

Is Old Pulteney any good and what would I be looking to score a taste of were I to be an informed flying visitor?

My whisky benchmarks are obviously Islay Islay Islay but I'm willing to broaden my horizons seeing as I am travelling off the end of the earth!

22 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I'll be in Wick tomorrow for about an hour. Passing through...

Is Old Pulteney any good and what would I be looking to score a taste of were I to be an informed flying visitor?

My whisky benchmarks are obviously Islay Islay Islay but I'm willing to broaden my horizons seeing as I am travelling off the end of the earth!

The standard Old Pulteney 12 is a great little drop. The salinity is softened a bit by the sweetness of being aged in bourbon casks. That's the only one I've had tho; I'd imagine the older it gets, the more the bourbon will present.