whisky lovers

Aye, so in total with fees and delivery we're talking 113. Maybe a tad more than I would have liked added on but one is a bottle I really want to try and one should be pretty dece too. Happy enough. Wish I could have picked up for free tho.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye, so in total with fees and delivery we're talking 113. Maybe a tad more than I would have liked added on but one is a bottle I really want to try and one should be pretty dece too. Happy enough. Wish I could have picked up for free tho.

Just cracked open a Springbank 12 yesterday ( along with , a “ highland star” ( teannich) , a game of thrones Lagavulin 9 and the Daftmill winter release ) can you tell Mrs BBB was out ... 

Just cracked open a Springbank 12 yesterday ( along with , a “ highland star” ( teannich) , a game of thrones Lagavulin 9 and the Daftmill winter release ) can you tell Mrs BBB was out ... 
I am particularly buzzing for that one

Just now, Bairnardo said:
1 minute ago, bishopburn boy said:

I am particularly buzzing for that one

Tasting thoughts tomorrow , and off to the Grill in aber doom on Tuesday , for a cheeky midweek dram or two!

48 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

Tasting thoughts tomorrow , and off to the Grill in aber doom on Tuesday , for a cheeky midweek dram or two!

One does not simply have just a dram or two at the Grill. 

Unless by 'two' you mean a two day binge. 

I take it the moment Glenlivet became the whisky equivalent of shredded wheat was when they rebranded it with all the NAS "founders reserve" nonsense?  Luckily I got two free (very nice) whisky glasses with this bottle.  

Same here and same conclusion , depending on the hammer taxes ( ie is 87 , before or after commission ) you may have done ok , combined price just over a hundred quid 

give ve us a report on the glenallachie when you break the seal
The Glenallachie is ok, bit raw. 10 year old and maybe could do with being a 12. Im not really one for tasting notes but its ok, just packs a bit too much alcohol punch.

However thats not its main problem. Its main problem is that it has been opened in the same week as the Springbank. f**k me thats an outstanding dram. Every bit as good as the glowing reviews it gets on here.

On 02/05/2019 at 22:28, Archie McSquackle said:

I saw the Laphroaig Quarter Cask in Costco for £30. Anyone tried it? Any good? Decent price?

Decent enough for 30 quid. Smokey as f**k as expected but not not rough for what I assume what is a young whisky.

Was in the area a couple of weeks ago and did a tour of Springbank Distillery in Campbeltown. Really good, informative tour. Interesting place as they're the only distillery in Scotland who do 100% of their production on site. The tour is great value as well. A dram at the end and a glass and miniature to take home. Tried the miniature last night, a sample of their 10 year old. Bit smokier than my usual taste, but quite enjoyed it. Would definitely recommend the tour if you're in the vicinity.
20190512_153910_crop_392x630.jpg

Was in the area a couple of weeks ago and did a tour of Springbank Distillery in Campbeltown. Really good, informative tour. Interesting place as they're the only distillery in Scotland who do 100% of their production on site. The tour is great value as well. A dram at the end and a glass and miniature to take home. Tried the miniature last night, a sample of their 10 year old. Bit smokier than my usual taste, but quite enjoyed it. Would definitely recommend the tour if you're in the vicinity.
20190512_153910_crop_392x630.jpg.baa0bc10a29c97c87d91aa576db1b794.jpg
I will stand corrected here, but would the Kilchoman 100% Islay range not also qualify? Barley grown on Kilchoman farm, water drawn at source, malt produced and turned on their malt floor and so on until casking. Not actually sure where it is warehoused and then bottled but I assume given the name it is all done on site.

I will need to get myself down to Springbank for a tour one year. I've never made it further south than Kennacraig Ferry, only 45 minutes further south to Campbeltown.

4 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I will stand corrected here, but would the Kilchoman 100% Islay range not also qualify? Barley grown on Kilchoman farm, water drawn at source, malt produced and turned on their malt floor and so on until casking. Not actually sure where it is warehoused and then bottled but I assume given the name it is all done on site.

I will need to get myself down to Springbank for a tour one year. I've never made it further south than Kennacraig Ferry, only 45 minutes further south to Campbeltown.

I think I'm correct in saying Kilchoman do a bit of everything on site but they do buy in malt from elsewhere as they currently don't have capacity to grow and malt all they use so I *think* the answer is Springbank do all their own malting on site and Kilchoman do some of their own but also buy some in. You are correct to say though there is a full seed to dram process at Kilchoman.

I think I'm correct in saying Kilchoman do a bit of everything on site but they do buy in malt from elsewhere as they currently don't have capacity to grow and malt all they use so I *think* the answer is Springbank do all their own malting on site and Kilchoman do some of their own but also buy some in. You are correct to say though there is a full seed to dram process at Kilchoman.

I've had a wee look at the Springbank website. It says they are the only distillery to malt 100% of their barley.

Malting floors are very rare now. Bowmore, Laphroaig and Kilchoman definitely have their own, but I think also buy in a lot due to volumes needed.

It's a great experience climbing about inside the malt bins at Bowmore.

Unfortunately, I also ventured into the tours section of the Springbank website and I'm now wondering when I can justify the eight hour round trip plus hotels to do the four hour Wee Toon Walking & Warehouse Tour with "a few hand drawn cask whiskies" which sounds amazing. A mere £85!

For the oligarchs there is even a £250 tour offering you a production experience including blending and taking home your own bottle based on your own recipe from your extensive tasting research.

It all sounds pretty bloody good to me.

3 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

20190512_153910_crop_392x630.jpg

Springbank is great. Really like their ethos too - huge local employer, living wage, pro-Indy, no-nonsense whisky.

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Was at Port Ellen maltings a couple of years ago and they had a sizeable quantity of malt for Kilchoman. I think there's a lot of marketing froth with Kilchoman. Am not that chuffed with them.

If you want a genuine farmer/ distiller then check out Daftmill in Fife.