whisky lovers

Lagavulin today, they are punting this Game of Thrones special. Not sure how price here compares to Heathrow etc.

Also on the perils of exclusive editions, their Jazz Festival 2017 is on promotion, giving away free samples, and they have bings of it left. I've clearly overpaid for that bottle on a previous visit but I got a nice wee canvas bag.IMG_20190417_125323.jpg

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Lagavulin today, they are punting this Game of Thrones special. Not sure how price here compares to Heathrow etc.

Also on the perils of exclusive editions, their Jazz Festival 2017 is on promotion, giving away free samples, and they have bings of it left. I've clearly overpaid for that bottle on a previous visit but I got a nice wee canvas bag.IMG_20190417_125323.jpg

65 is about the same as it was in $USD when they dropped here earlier this year. I picked up the Lochnagar as it's standard Lochnagar and it's the only way to get it in this country. The rest of them are all unique liquids; the reviews haven't been good, barring the Clynelish, which was also about $65. The Singleton was the cheapest of them at $25-30

For anyone in the Edinburgh area I’d recommend a visit to Brauhaus Lauriston Place. They do a “break even malt” that’s a bit rarer/pricier but sold at cost price and changes every month I think (or maybe when it runs out). Had a Linkwood 25 year old (pretty good) today.

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 18:46, Bold Rover said:

Just discovered this thread, so forgive me if this has been previously covered. I recently partook of the Royal Mile "Whisky Experience." Thepatter was shite but the whiskies interesting. Star of the show:

IMG_1472.PNG

Had this the other day at a wedding and really liked it. 

Also tried the Port Charlotte MRC at a whisky festival in Stirling a couple of weeks ago and it was my favourite whisky i tried there. 

On 4/20/2019 at 02:08, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I bought the Kilchoman 12 and I like it.

Here's a photo of a ferry.

IMG_20190419_222126.jpg

I'd like to think you were supposed to be on that ferry, but you were too busy drinking your new bottle that you missed it.

Had a rather decent blended malt called Scallywag on Friday. Pretty smooth combination which I'll give 7.2/10

Supposedly a Macallan-Glenrothes-Mortlach combo. Not sure if that's meant to be a trade secret, but oh well. 

I'd like to think you were supposed to be on that ferry, but you were too busy drinking your new bottle that you missed it.
I made the 7am ferry the next day! Islay is a hangover free island.

Quality visit. Made it to seven of the nine distilleries (and Islay Ales too).

Was invariably driving though, so I now have quite the collection of drivers drams in various wee bottles. Those will see me through a few pleasant evenings.

Very probably the friendliest people on earth.

Just finished my summer release Daftmill, sad to see it go , it reminded me of Rosebank , and despite the price of Daftmill,, it was still wayyyy cheaper than picking up a Rosebank 

good news is i,ve got a winter release to open ! , 

but out on a run of bottlekill first , 

to adc to the Daftmill, there is was a Lagavulin 12, a smws Loch Lomond grain G15.1, a glen Scotia 93.99, and a Hazelburn Cask strength from a cognac butt 

soon on time to start opening bottles again 

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but I'm just back from 4 day jolly to Orkney and delighted to report, the newly refurbished Kirkwall Hotel bar now features 50 varieties of Highland Park. Prices are fairly reasonable (10 y/o under £4, the magnificent bourbon cask Full Volume under a tenner). A good time was had.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:03, Hedgecutter said:

Had a rather decent blended malt called Scallywag on Friday. Pretty smooth combination which I'll give 7.2/10

Supposedly a Macallan-Glenrothes-Mortlach combo. Not sure if that's meant to be a trade secret, but oh well. 

I like Scallywag. They've got a couple of variations - NAS, 10yo, 13yo. 

Douglas Laing produce that blend and do a few other by region. Gauldrons is a Campbeltown blend, there's Timorous Beastie, Epicurean and a couple others. They're all very drinkable and also good for whisky cocktails.

On 23/04/2019 at 12:25, badgerthewitness said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but I'm just back from 4 day jolly to Orkney and delighted to report, the newly refurbished Kirkwall Hotel bar now features 50 varieties of Highland Park. Prices are fairly reasonable (10 y/o under £4, the magnificent bourbon cask Full Volume under a tenner). A good time was had.

Been working up at the oil terminal there for past year or so. That Bar has some collection. Also managed to fit in Scapa and HP tours too. Did a higher end HP one and they gave you ones up to 30 year old. Think it was only 75 quid for the whole tour but if you were to buy the 7/8 drams at the hotel you would be paying well over 100 quid im sure. 

Also with a day off did a trip to Old pultney which was good, might see if I can stretch down to Clynelish too before my stint comes to an end up here.

Edited by gannonball

6 hours ago, gannonball said:

Been working up at the oil terminal there for past year or so. That Bar has some collection. Also managed to fit in Scapa and HP tours too. Did a higher end HP one and they gave you ones up to 30 year old. Think it was only 75 quid for the whole tour but if you were to buy the 7/8 drams at the hotel you would be paying well over 100 quid im sure. 

Also with a day off did a trip to Old pultney which was good, might see if I can stretch down to Clynelish too before my stint comes to an end up here.

What was the Scapa tour like? I've bought a bottle of the Skiren, will crack it open this weekend. They seem to only be doing NAS stuff now, is that right?

3 hours ago, Peedzy said:

What was the Scapa tour like? I've bought a bottle of the Skiren, will crack it open this weekend. They seem to only be doing NAS stuff now, is that right?

Pretty Shite. Think I was unlucky asthe guy who was doing it had some sort of speech impedement and the three folk on the tour struggled to understand him expecially as the place was under production. Bizarrely all they had to sell whisky wise in the entire distillery shop was was the two standard NAS (skiren being one of them)  ones you get in most scottish airports.   Was quite suprised how badly stocked the shop was as thought worst case scenario they would have other non-scapas.

Best part of the tour was letting you try a 14 year old cask strength straight out of the barrel in the warehouse but then strangely not letting you be able to buy it. Shame as it was lovely and have tried an 8 year old cask strength at the orkney hotel in a first fill sherry cask and it was even nicer strangely so they clearly make good stuff just couldnt buy much of it.

Never tried the latter but based solely on the Springbank you did indeed do good.
I loved Springbank 15 and Longrow Red, and knew the 12 had a big rep on here. The Glenallachie at 40 notes was a punt on a decrnt price cask strength. If it comes good then I will be pretty pkeased.

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

Never tried the latter but based solely on the Springbank you did indeed do good.

Same here and same conclusion , depending on the hammer taxes ( ie is 87 , before or after commission ) you may have done ok , combined price just over a hundred quid 

give ve us a report on the glenallachie when you break the seal