whisky lovers

Visited Kilchoman today where by chance they were launching their new 12yo. Can't believe Kilchoman is 12, I remember it's first steps. Not the baby on Islay now either with the new one opening last week. IMG_20190416_130136.thumb.jpg.e52d4ebbfcd98b45263d6d40ab0f2937.jpg

Please tell me you bought a bottle? You’d make a pretty penny if you auctioned it.

That's the last of my Highland Park Viking Honour gone.

Got it as a birthday present just last month and and as far as quality : price ratios go, I'd argue it's one of the best.   Absolutely perfect neat, not even a single drop needed.  

Downside is that I have just a half-full Spey Tenne (port cask) left in the cupboard now...

7 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Please tell me you bought a bottle? You’d make a pretty penny if you auctioned it.

No. Snaffling limited releases to sell later is for arseholes. 

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

That's the last of my Highland Park Viking Honour gone.

Got it as a birthday present just last month and and as far as quality : price ratios go, I'd argue it's one of the best.   Absolutely perfect neat, not even a single drop needed.  

Downside is that I have just a half-full Spey Tenne (port cask) left in the cupboard now...

Is this Viking range basically the old Highland Park with a rebranding?  I had a bottle of Highland Park Viking Scars and it was pretty good for ten year old.  

23 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Is this Viking range basically the old Highland Park with a rebranding?  I had a bottle of Highland Park Viking Scars and it was pretty good for ten year old.  

Pretty much, aye. 

I initially presumed it was a blended malt punting off some production on special offer everywhere, but seems they rebranded in 2017 with the 12yo becoming Viking Honour. 

A few folk saying it's not as good as the original 12yo, and I'd be inclined to agree. Still, it's a very decent malt for £25. 

3 hours ago, GiGi said:

No. Snaffling limited releases to sell later is for arseholes. 

No it's not. It's called being clever and making easy money.

What do you think happens to these bottles when people buy them, do you think people buy them to drink? I can guarantee you the locals of Islay will be the ones "snaffling" most of these bottles to sell at a later date. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's a collectable and people all across the world want them.

What do you think happens to these bottles when people buy them, do you think people buy them to drink? I can guarantee you the locals of Islay will be the ones "snaffling" most of these bottles to sell at a later date. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's a collectable and people all across the world want them.
Its really no different to ticket touting tbh.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
12 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Its really no different to ticket touting tbh.

Yes it is.

There's whisky collectors all over the world who can't make it to Islay or Speyside etc to collect a distillery edition bottle. The fact is, they will buy these bottles through online auctions because they had no other means - and they will pay a lot of money for them.

Ticket touting is different, it's already an online sale - so it's easily accessible for everyone. These bottles aren't because it's likely the only way you can get one is by actually going to the distillery.  I guarantee you that people on Islay are doing this and it's not a bad thing. If you lived there you would do the same too.

I didn't buy one (yet). I had resolved not to get too over excited in the distilleries on this trip, as at the current rate of progress the Islay bottles I've accumulated over various visits will take me well into my retirement years to finish!

On Day 1 here I then proceeded to show no restraint whatsoever inside Bunnahabhain, and added two more bottles to my pile.

So by time I reached Kilchoman I had taken the step of deliberately leaving my bank cards behind and carrying only enough cash to buy lunch. (Their cullen skink and panini combo is as good as their whisky but not so collectable.)

However, my sister and family are coming over today to join us for the rest of the week and this will mean a trip to Machir Bay will very much be on the cards, with Kilchoman the obvious lunch stop, so my resolve will be tested again!

If I do buy one it will be for the drinking as I do enjoy their stuff and I'm interested to see how it is changing with age.

But I've no real moral objection to shifting a few bottles on auction sites in future. A pal came out with me two years ago and has trebled his money on his Bowmore distillery only purchases with very little effort on his part.

Yes it is.
There's whisky collectors all over the world who can't make it to Islay or Speyside etc to collect a distillery edition bottle. The fact is, they will buy these bottles through online auctions because they had no other means - and they will pay a lot of money for them.
Ticket touting is different, it's already an online sale - so it's easily accessible for everyone. These bottles aren't because it's likely the only way you can get one is by actually going to the distillery.  I guarantee you that people on Islay are doing this and it's not a bad thing. If you lived there you would do the same too.
I might, but I would accept theres a moral questionability of what I was doing, and onky if I could square that with my conscience would I do it.

Your mental if you think distilleries wont make all of their wares available to US collectors etc. They are playing to a global market these days and seem to be very good at it. They create exclusivity but only for their own gain, not so that someone can hoover up all the bottles and make a skin

25 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I buy them to drink. And sometimes get frustrated because they sell out on day 1 and I see them on an auction site a month or 2 later at double the price. 

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Yes it is.

Whisky is for drinking, not buying and then selling off to the highest bidder.

Edited by yoda

I might, but I would accept theres a moral questionability of what I was doing, and onky if I could square that with my conscience would I do it.

Your mental if you think distilleries wont make all of their wares available to US collectors etc. They are playing to a global market these days and seem to be very good at it. They create exclusivity but only for their own gain, not so that someone can hoover up all the bottles and make a skin

Very often you get distillery editions that are only obtainable by visiting the distillery. That’s part of what makes them collectables and valuable.

Edit: in this case of this Kilchoman nobody can hoover them all up because it’s 1 bottle per person. And exclusive bottle ballots online are also for one bottle.

Very often you get distillery editions that are only obtainable by visiting the distillery. That’s part of what makes them collectables and valuable.

Edit: in this case of this Kilchoman nobody can hoover them all up because it’s 1 bottle per person. And exclusive bottle ballots online are also for one bottle.
Ways round these are available. Its not a big deal to me tbh, I dont feel strongly about it but for a lit of people who enjoy whisky there are issues with with the buy to sell market