whisky lovers

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Cheers! Just bought two as Im a mug and hate paying for delivery.

Absolutely, think I paid 60 for it before when i was on offer last year and somebody posted it on here, was very happy with it.

Got the same, love a whisky freebie.

Some of there stuff is shite but Tailfire for the price is decent.

I was kicking myself afterwards. Saw they had Springbank12 cask strength for £55 after I'd ordered and paid for the Deanston 18. By the time I'd hawed and hummed about paying for shipping again it had sold out.

Can't see it anywhere else for that sort of price, who's tried it and what do you think?

5 minutes ago, Peedzy said:

I was kicking myself afterwards. Saw they had Springbank12 cask strength for £55 after I'd ordered and paid for the Deanston 18. By the time I'd hawed and hummed about paying for shipping again it had sold out.

Can't see it anywhere else for that sort of price, who's tried it and what do you think?

The springbank is awesome , got it for fifty in my local bottle shop , sadly the have no more , and neither do I, 

a beautiful sherried  dram , with hints of sea air , some stewed fruit  and a spice , cinnamon mayhaps 

verging on twaddle there herr BB , but it was nice 

Edited by bishopburn boy
Curse you Microsoft autocorrect

i see grants has a new blend out, anyone tried it
and also this shackleton stuff in asda for £22 worth a punt?
5c06b635d8f2a_Capture_2018-12-04-17-06-12.thumb.png.7f9d73df2ff4356eb170ce0df1758341.png

Yeah. It’s pretty decent. They used to produce it in a beautiful wooden box, but without that it’s well worth £22.

Started reading Raw Spirit by Iain Banks, its about whisky and his search for the perfect dram, good read but it's impossible to read without a dram in hand, i finished off a 18 year old Knockando last night, not a whole bottle by the way, i reckon my whisky shelf is going to take a pounding as i'm a slow reader and a fast drinker.

A really brilliant book, he is sorely missed. I often think of him when I walk past the OK in Haymarket, his favourite curry house.

His whisky cabinet must have been incredible after researching that book.

4 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

Started reading Raw Spirit by Iain Banks, its about whisky and his search for the perfect dram, good read but it's impossible to read without a dram in hand, i finished off a 18 year old Knockando last night, not a whole bottle by the way, i reckon my whisky shelf is going to take a pounding as i'm a slow reader and a fast drinker.

Frank Skinner tells a tale of hosting a party during the Edinburgh  Festival, not long after the book was released ( Iain was promoting Raw spirit at the Book Festival) so Frank wandered up and down the Royal Mile trying to get the right bottle for Iain at the party , eventually shelling out a couple of hundred  quid. So the party starts and Iain Banks turns up , Frank  proudly goes for his expensive dram and Iain says , no thanks , drank too much of that , i’ll Have a Red Wine please ! 

On a parallel track I got a fantastic tip from the departed mr Banks he had me order the chateau Musar , in Omar Khyam’s in the Haymarket, as pointed out by LTP FC above a splendid curry house and ,  a splendid drop of wine.

Edited by bishopburn boy
Why not

I tried to bag this beauty from Costco for £69.99 with free shipping, but didn't realise you had to be a member to buy online. They do a £15 online membership, but that tips it over being a good bargain for me. Worth it for those who are already members though I would have thought?

https://www.costco.co.uk/Food-Wine-Household/Spirits/Whisky/Caol-Ila-15-Year-Old-Single-Malt-Scotch-Whisky-Special-Release-2016-70cl/p/250352

cilob.15yov4.jpg

Edited by Peedzy
Add Costco link

3 hours ago, GiGi said:

Too steep IMO 

Fair doos, I saw it on the whisky exchange for 90 odds, thought the cask-strength bumped up the price compared to the normal 15 release, glad I wasn't actually able to get it on Costco at an impulse!

2 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I've been busy visiting old friends and making new ones. I've visited all eight distilleries on Islay this week, plus the new one soon to be opened. Truly a tremendous place. If my ferry goes down, send frogmen to my car boot, it will be worth your while.

20181206_161018.jpg

Thought that was a runway with a plane doing a vertical take off at the end, for a moment.

20 hours ago, Peedzy said:

I tried to bag this beauty from Costco for £69.99 with free shipping, but didn't realise you had to be a member to buy online. They do a £15 online membership, but that tips it over being a good bargain for me. Worth it for those who are already members though I would have thought?

https://www.costco.co.uk/Food-Wine-Household/Spirits/Whisky/Caol-Ila-15-Year-Old-Single-Malt-Scotch-Whisky-Special-Release-2016-70cl/p/250352

cilob.15yov4.jpg

The 18 year old is on Amazon at the moment for £63.

3 hours ago, BigTidy said:

The 18 year old is on Amazon at the moment for £63.

Cheers mate, the one I was looking at was the unpeated cask strength at 59.1% rather than standard bottling.  Will be getting neither, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Peedzy said:

Cheers mate, the one I was looking at was the unpeated cask strength at 59.1% rather than standard bottling.  Will be getting neither, unfortunately.

I was tempted by the deal on the 18. I've got a couple of young Caol Ila bottles at the moment from independent bottlers, James Eadie and Hunter Laing, and they are both excellent. Be interested to see how an older one compares. However, Christmas is coming up and I'll hopefully receive a couple of bottles of whisky then so going to hold off and see what I get before making any more purchases at the moment.