whisky lovers

3 hours ago, Peedzy said:

I'll be drawing up my Christmas wish list shortly, this could be a contender. What would its main competitors be at around this price range, in your opinion?

Depends what you're into. For sherry profile like the Glendronach then

Glenfarclas 17

Glenfarclas 21

Balvenie 15 single cask

Balvenie 17

Aberlour 18

Aberlour A'bunadh 

Craigellachie 17

Glenrothes 18

Glenallachie 18

All this without mentioning single cask stuff.

23 hours ago, The Nightfly said:

Noticed a Dalwhinnie I hadn't seen before, in Morrison's today. Has anyone tried Winter's Gold?

Absolute shite. Any whisky recommending it is drunk at low temperatures should be a massive warning light.

I was in Ireland last week. I tried to be open minded but it all tastes the same. Too sweet, too smooth, anything over 40% rare as hens teeth

Honourable exception to 12 yo Powers, which I got a bottle of, which had that green peppercorn finish that all the single pot stills say they have but none deliver on https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/15234/powers-johns-lane-12-year-old-single-pot-still 

Luckily I had already picked up a Glen Scotia and Bunnahabhain An Claddach on the way out. Both decent whiskies, won't change your life but we'll worth 2L for 90quid deal at airport.

Edited by invergowrie arab

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/feature/christmasmalt

I grabbed a couple of these because it sounded sublime. Rich, spicy Christmas pudding with sherry on top etc. And, most interestingly, from a mystery Speyside distillery. 

So I cracked one today. Right away it smells lighter than it sounds, less heavy sherry and spice, more candy apple and caramel. I'm really intrigued to find out which distillery this is from because my first few guesses were from Glenfarclas, to Glendronach, to Aberlour back to Glenfarclas again. Definitely not any of the bigger names like Balvenie or Macallan (for one thing it was too cheap). But the candy apple thing kept throwing me off, because I've definitely found that before. I realised where but that didn't help because it was the Scallywag blend from Douglas Laing. I have however settled on it most likely being Glenallachie, I've got a single cask bottle of that in the house at a similar abv to this one and it's like a lighter version of that, mellower likely because it's older. 

I'm going to email TWE and see if they can at least tell me they can't confirm I'm wrong (they can be funny like that when they know what it is but aren't specifically allowed to say "yes it's 'X' distillery"). 

I was up in Nethy Bridge for my brother's stag do a couple of weeks ago.  Him and his pals have all done a distillery tour or 10 so I organised a tasting session at the Whisky Castle in Tomintoul for a different kind of whisky event. Can highly recommend popping in if you're in the area. We chucked them a bit of money to open up some of the good stuff but they also do a free tasting option. Really knowledgable owners and staff, up for a bit of a laugh too. Not that it was a lads, lads, lads stag party but they still got involved in the chat. They also buy a couple of casks each year and bottle them themselves so they have a few interesting bottles to try. 

We tried a 6yo Talisker and 8yo Caol Ila amongst others and they were absolute standouts. The Talisker was £70 which I had decided was a bit too pricey but now having a slight regret about not picking it up. 

44 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Went to the North Star tasting at Good Spirits tonight. Silly thing to do as I'm now £142 lighter... although I am now the proud owner of a Vega 41. 

I keep missing the Vega(s) when they're on sale. Sound damned tasty. 

Where was the tasting, Aberdeen way?

2 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I keep missing the Vega(s) when they're on sale. Sound damned tasty. 

Where was the tasting, Aberdeen way?

Nah, Good Spirits on I think bath st? Glasgow. 

They're great. Before I knew about whisky I was weird about blends but these are really, really special. 

3 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Nah, Good Spirits on I think bath st? Glasgow. 

They're great. Before I knew about whisky I was weird about blends but these are really, really special. 

Blends get a bad name from stuff that comes on optics. Proper blends above your standard Bells and some Johnnie Walker can be smashing. My current favourite is another North Star creation called Spica. 20 year old speyside blend. Mix of malt and grain whisky and it's superb. 

30 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Blends get a bad name from stuff that comes on optics. Proper blends above your standard Bells and some Johnnie Walker can be smashing. My current favourite is another North Star creation called Spica. 20 year old speyside blend. Mix of malt and grain whisky and it's superb. 

That was one of the tasters tonight. It's lovely too. Can't go wrong with anything they do to be honest. 

13 hours ago, GiGi said:

Monkey Shoulder is decent for the price, better than many cheap malts imo.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Monkey Shoulder is decent for the price, better than many cheap malts imo.

True. It's also a blended malt as opposed to a 'normal' or cheap blend. Most blends are a mix of malt and grain. 

Having a wee Auchentoshan based Manhattan. Not bad, but sweet enough already that it could have done with a touch less red vermouth. And some orange peel if I had any.