whisky lovers

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Looking for a birthday bottle and that one has leapt into pole position

Possibly Xmas for me, the Mrs usually asks for a short list of options and this will be high up on it.

Wee Monday night post still session.

Ardbeg Corryvreckan - lovely. Very smooth for a peated whisky and lots of salty notes which is probably the #1 thing I look for in a whisky these days.

Kilchoman original c/s bit lighter and sweeter than the Ardbeg but still a tremendous whisky with lots of maritime notes.

Glen Scotia 10 c/s Campbelltown Malt Festival - just salted caramel. This is a good thing. Only 3 distilleries but I think Campbelltown is fast becoming my go to whisky region.

Got a bottle of Glenrothes 10 in Tesco Extra in Dundee for £27. Wasn't on the main malt whisky shelves, only on the end of the aisle with the other spirit 'money off offers'. Had been in a few Tesco stores keeping an eye out for it, none of the smaller shops had it.

5bbcc9f192b25_81rvzE9CtgL._SL500_SR160160_.jpg.142a602ad5ae462bac7e035eec4c2e32.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from my Islay holidays. Absolutely outstanding but I'm rubbered.

Ardbeg - excellent tasting tour but they squeezed a bit too many folk in. Lots of whisky though and a good variety of expressions.

Lagavulin - the best tasting tour by a distance. Warehouse tasting tour. Plenty booze, loads of rare (and expensive ) expressions. 4 of 6 straight from the cask.

Laphroaig - tasting tour again. Probably least favourite TBH. All expressions you could get at a supermarket/airport. Nothing above 46%. They did let you take samples away as well as what you had drunk though.

Bowmore - didn't make a tour but the bar is nice. Advise the Lochside Bar if you go though.

Bunnahabhain. Premium tasting tour fantastic. Again rare expressions and really knowledgeable guide.

Caol Ila. Was shut. Looks like a ferry office.

Bruichladdich - not my favourite whisky but really generous and some of the single cask expressions were decent.

Kilchoman. Did distillery tour but was really interesting as everything done on site so worth doing even if you are sick of traipsing around washbacks and warehouses. You can get 20ml samples of all 7 of their expressions for about 7 quid. Well worth it.

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Ardbeg - excellent tasting tour but they squeezed a bit too many folk in. Lots of whisky though and a good variety of expressions.

Lagavulin - the best tasting tour by a distance. Warehouse tasting tour. Plenty booze, loads of rare (and expensive ) expressions. 4 of 6 straight from the cask.

Laphroaig - tasting tour again. Probably least favourite TBH. All expressions you could get at a supermarket/airport. Nothing above 46%. They did let you take samples away as well as what you had drunk though.

Bowmore - didn't make a tour but the bar is nice. Advise the Lochside Bar if you go though.

Bunnahabhain. Premium tasting tour fantastic. Again rare expressions and really knowledgeable guide.

Bruichladdich - not my favourite whisky but really generous and some of the single cask expressions were decent.

Kilchoman. Did distillery tour but was really interesting as everything done on site so worth doing even if you are sick of traipsing around washbacks and warehouses. You can get 20ml samples of all 7 of their expressions for about 7 quid. Well worth it.

Next time I'm back home, this is my itinerary. I don't care if I do nothing other than stoat from distillery to distillery and then get back on a plane.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Cheers, I do intend on doing a tour of Islay one year when I have some time that the Mrs hasn't already allocated. I'm at that age where every other week the mo is a christening or wedding or stag do. Very inconvenient. 

20 hours ago, GiGi said:

Cheers, I do intend on doing a tour of Islay one year when I have some time that the Mrs hasn't already allocated. I'm at that age where every other week the mo is a christening or wedding or stag do. Very inconvenient. 

I'm just coming to the end of about three years of that. Give yourself at least 5 days. The timings mean you can't really do more than two tours a day as does the fact you will be guttered.

I'm a fully paid up member of the Islay fan club. Next heading over in December for my birthday, which I intend to spend mostly inside Lagavulin warehouse. Or Bunnahabhain. Definitely with Ardbeg lunch.

This programme is very decent. Sod all to do with whisky, but some stunning footage of Islay and a very interesting war history.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b19q81

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I'm a fully paid up member of the Islay fan club. Next heading over in December for my birthday, which I intend to spend mostly inside Lagavulin warehouse. Or Bunnahabhain. Definitely with Ardbeg lunch.

This programme is very decent. Sod all to do with whisky, but some stunning footage of Islay and a very interesting war history.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b19q81

This is what I have in my glass now https://www.whiskyshop.com/lagavulin-25-year-old i meant to keep it for a special occasion but I could be hit by a bus tomorrow. I would hasten to add its a sample I got away with me from the warehouse tasting I didn't get a bottle. I think thats why I was pissed off that everything from Laphraoiag was utterly standard and this is the standard of sample you get from Lagavulin and Bunnahabhain.

Laphroaig infused cheddar is outstanding though.

I can also heartily recommend Kilchoman for lunch. Excellent soup.

I'm currently  enjoying a couple of large halves from this:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glendronach/the-glendronach-15-year-old-revival-whisky/

The reviews are mixed with most people lucky enough to try the previous incarnation of the Revival saying it's not as good as the old one. But then the older one was literally made with 18 year old and older whisky because they had no younger stock upon the distillery's reopening so I'm not sure what people expect. I'm also sure there is plenty of whisky older than 15 years in this iteration too. 

Personally, with this being my first taste of Glendronach 15 I find it absolutely wonderful for a standard distillery bottling. The nose is just raisins and sticky sweet PX sherry with some rich milk chocolate in there. The palate and finish has some drier, nuttier body to it from the oloroso barrels. Christmas pudding soaked in sherry, in a bottle. It's already shot up to among my favourite standard bottlings and I'm sure I'll be replacing this one soon. 

Definitely up the sherry-lover's street this one. 

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glendronach/the-glendronach-15-year-old-revival-whisky/
The reviews are mixed with most people lucky enough to try the previous incarnation of the Revival saying it's not as good as the old one. But then the older one was literally made with 18 year old and older whisky because they had no younger stock upon the distillery's reopening so I'm not sure what people expect. I'm also sure there is plenty of whisky older than 15 years in this iteration too. 
Personally, with this being my first taste of Glendronach 15 I find it absolutely wonderful for a standard distillery bottling. The nose is just raisins and sticky sweet PX sherry with some rich milk chocolate in there. The palate and finish has some drier, nuttier body to it from the oloroso barrels. Christmas pudding soaked in sherry, in a bottle. It's already shot up to among my favourite standard bottlings and I'm sure I'll be replacing this one soon. 
The Allardice has placed Glendronach firmly among my favourites so pleased to hear cheaper bottles carry the same quality.

FYI the brandy cask Deanston we talked about is in my cupboard. Cracking scheduled for tonight.

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The Allardice has placed Glendronach firmly among my favourites so pleased to hear cheaper bottles carry the same quality.

FYI the brandy cask Deanston we talked about is in my cupboard. Cracking scheduled for tonight.

I expect a full report. Unless Falkirk win today that is, then I'm not talking to you any more.

I expect a full report. Unless Falkirk win today that is, then I'm not talking to you any more.
Lol. My reports are limited by my inability to detect all of the different flavours etc. Can tell you if its as good as I hope though.

That said, I had HP Spirit of the Bear last week. Entry level NAS of their new retail range and the rawness we have discussed on here from the flogging of young spirit using a fancy name was very obvious to me.

I can remember thinking Auchentoshan American Oak for example was decent a couple of years back. Wonder if I would be similarly put off by that now. Think maybe my tastebuds are getting better.

Also, I wont be at the game but if we win,* dont take my contributions to the match thread personally.

*we definitely wont

16 hours ago, GiGi said:

Need to get one of these I'm basically addicted to Sherry finish now. Fino if I can get it for the saltiness but if you can get an olorosso with an PX together you can get the fruits with a nice dry finish.

Noticing a few distilleries doing a cognac finish now. Edradour and Bunnahabhain the ones I have had. Both excellent

Edited by invergowrie arab

19 hours ago, GiGi said:

The Glendronach standard bottling range are all superb. 21 year old Parliament probably my favourite whisky I’ve had a full bottle of.

The brandy cask.... Honeslty dont know what to make of it tbh. Its not as nice as the Red wine cask IMO. It seems to me to be very strong and harsh. Would normally not bother with water but next time I have one I think I will and see if it mellows a bit.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:51, G_Man1985 said:
On 10/9/2018 at 16:34, Peedzy said:

Got a bottle of Glenrothes 10 in Tesco Extra in Dundee for £27. Wasn't on the main malt whisky shelves, only on the end of the aisle with the other spirit 'money off offers'. Had been in a few Tesco stores keeping an eye out for it, none of the smaller shops had it.
5bbcc9f192b25_81rvzE9CtgL._SL500_SR160160_.jpg.142a602ad5ae462bac7e035eec4c2e32.jpg

Should of been in both sections as we stalk it all year round.

Cheers G_Man, I'd never seen it before in Tesco. I had to stalk it myself in a few stores, but eventually found my prey in good old Dundee.

On 10/19/2018 at 23:37, invergowrie arab said:

This is what I have in my glass now https://www.whiskyshop.com/lagavulin-25-year-old i meant to keep it for a special occasion but I could be hit by a bus tomorrow. I would hasten to add its a sample I got away with me from the warehouse tasting I didn't get a bottle. I think thats why I was pissed off that everything from Laphraoiag was utterly standard and this is the standard of sample you get from Lagavulin and Bunnahabhain.

Laphroaig infused cheddar is outstanding though.

I can also heartily recommend Kilchoman for lunch. Excellent soup.

What about cheddar infused Laphroaig?

Haven't tried anything at Cask strength before, so I've decided to take a punt on this one.

Just ordered it from Amazon for £41.99, single cask 2009 limited edition of 252 bottles at 61%. I've had the standard Benromach 10 year old before and enjoyed it, only time will tell I suppose...

41IJAB6TCxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg