whisky lovers

8 hours ago, Peedzy said:

Anybody tried the Tullibardine 228, can see a bottle for £28. Worth a try?

I haven't tried it but it sounds like a good deal. Reviews are positive.

Utter madness , was in heefrow during the week , Lagavulin 8 at 50 smackeroonies ( thanks Kevin for the mind worm) and the 16 year old Lagavulin at the princely sum of 43 Smackers , 

i checked with them , and that was right , but other than marketing bollox none of them could explain why 

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
5 hours ago, gannonball said:
Anybody ever joined the Scotch Malt Whisky Society?
There's an offer to join them at the moment and currently debating whether to.

What do you get?

Bizarrely you get a free bottle of brandy when you join, also 30 quid off the membership price at the mo.  You get access and discounts to their bars and money off their bottlings etc., The higher the membership you get free bottlings etc. I got groupon a deal  years a go for a whisky tasting a meal and it was really nice but decided not to take up the offer as the bottles weren't too cheap and was on apprentice wages at the time. 

Managed to get a couple bottles as birthday gifts this week.

An Arran amarone cask finish and a Highland Park 18.

I tried the Arran at a distillery tasting and would have bought it there and then if I hadn’t already picked another bottle to take with me.

The Highland Park 18 may sit for a while before i eventually open it.

12 hours ago, gannonball said:

I’ve been a member for years , was a gift , from mrsBBB . Originally you used to get fantastic 3 for 100 quid “bin end” type deals , but over the years can struggle to get 2 for a ton. That said they are still generally very good prices for cask strength expressions , and you will struggle to see the variety of different casks ( distilleries ) on such a regular basis elsewhere. 

If you just want to buy good value cask strength whisky , have a look at Whiskybroker, the rates are very good , but there isn’t the variety or turnover of choice that the SMWS offers.

however I travel with work a lot and get good use out of the members rooms in London , and recently was in the partner bar in KL , and generally like to have a bottle or 2 on the shelf 

the whisky is generally good , and the flavours are normally mostly in the description, so if you know what you don’t like , don’t buy Tat particular bottle ,  so Thumbs up from Bishopburn. 

On 24/08/2018 at 22:09, gannonball said:

Yep.

I enjoy the days out in Leith more than buying anything through the post though. Usually a few of us go through 3 or 4 times a year and then maybe a couple of tasting nights too.

Sunday night,s splash is a 9 yo cask strength Bladnoch ( 58. Something%) from the above mentioned Whisky broker , it’s a nice , crisp lowland dram , vanilla, cut grass , lemons with hints of other citrus , and somthing herbal in the finish , possibly sage.

its nae bad 

https://www.whiskybroker.co.uk/

• 3 weeks later...