whisky lovers

I bought a Highland Park Dragon’s Legend  which was reduced from £40 to £30 in Tesco.

Shite name, good whisky. More peat and more sherry than a normal HP makes it more like an Islay malt.

Would recommend*

*I’m pished after a full day of World Cup boozing so don’t blame me if you buy it and it turns out to be shite.

Strathisla 12 lastnight. Tasted nice and its rare for me but I was able to pick apple and pear from the tasting notes.

However, pretty much confirmed to me why I stay away from less than 46%. Its too much water.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

29th Wedding anniversary , saw this bad boy un corked , 

lovely stuff ! 

D16F1858-4F4E-440F-9ECD-B4A6F298A6D8.jpeg

I hadn’t heard of Daftmill before.

Did you pay £210 for it?

On 6/28/2018 at 13:53, ICTJohnboy said:

Got this as a father's day gift at the weekend. 12, 15 and 18 yo samplers. They all taste surprisingly quite different, but all absolutely superb.

cb4852ad90956506c2af34b9c96dd953.image.1200x1200.jpg

I'd imagine that's a terrific gift, but the branding really does make it look like it's chocolate, caramel and mint flavoured whisky.  

10 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

29th Wedding anniversary , saw this bad boy un corked , 

lovely stuff ! 

D16F1858-4F4E-440F-9ECD-B4A6F298A6D8.jpeg

Is that light deceptive, or is it really that pale?  That's one of the palest looking whiskies I've ever seen.  Almost white wine colour!  I'm assuming its incredibly smooth and not in the slightest bit peaty?

For both  "Savage Henry" and  "Ziggy"

Aye I paid £210 for it  , and have helped all those who bought as an investment , by opening mine  - it was by far the most expensive whisky I've ever bought  , but I never considered  Flipping it  , owning and quaffing a wee bit of history is rather nice  , I'm certain it will sit quietly at the  back of the shelf and take some time to be finished .

No hint of peat  !

Colour - light Gold

Nose , p***kly , lemony, cereal, hint of somthing herbal

Neat - again lemon , grassy, pepperey , somthing sweet in the background

Cut ( a teaspoon ) again lemon getting fruity not sharp , herbs ( bay , and more) and with a bit of time chocolatey notes

Finish , just sublime , long , lemon gets more “bitter” and there are some floral and maybe an earthy touch

Wonderful stuff 89 / 100

7 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Is that light deceptive, or is it really that pale?  That's one of the palest looking whiskies I've ever seen.  Almost white wine colour!  I'm assuming its incredibly smooth and not in the slightest bit peaty?

I have whiskies that are barely darker than white spirit. Doesn't really mean anything other than it wasn't aged in any kind of wine or sherry cask. Colour != flavour.

10 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I have whiskies that are barely darker than white spirit. Doesn't really mean anything other than it wasn't aged in any kind of wine or sherry cask. Colour != flavour.

Unless the maker has just flung caramel in it for colour.

16 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Unless the maker has just flung caramel in it for colour.

Yep. A lot of whisky is naturally pale before the distilleries fanny about to get them to look better. For consistency.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Don't get the Auchentoshan. Terrible, bland stuff. 

The three wood is absolutely fine for the price. 

Agree on anything below that in the range generally.

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Going to visit either Edradour or Blair Atholl distillery whilst up that way (only time for one). Any recommendations of which is best?

Vote for side trip to aberfeldy , failing that probably Edradour , though Caledonia, is as “ nothing” a whisky as I have ever drunk , the distillery is nice and compact , and being the home of signatory, the shop is well stocked with a good variety of drams 

4 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Going to visit either Edradour or Blair Atholl distillery whilst up that way (only time for one). Any recommendations of which is best?

I did Edradour, if your dragging your missus its one of the most picturesque ones I have visited. As somebody mentioned the shop is well stocked with old signatory as the guy owns both the distitllery and the whisky selectors. I thought his old signatory stuff was quite competitively priced too. The peated version of edradour (name escapes me) was quite decent I thought.