whisky lovers

47 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm going to Highland Park today for a 7 whisky tasting tour. I'll be massively popular when arriving for family meal at tea time.

Think I may have told this story previously, but we took my Grandad up to the Glenmorangie distillery in Tain a few years back. At the end, we got a taster, as I was driving I said no, so he had mine. My old man doesn't drink it, so he had his. My Mum wouldn't have it either, so had hers, and he also had my Nans drop. 

Could have only been about half 10 in the morning, and he came out of there absolutely steaming. 

Brilliant tour if anyone is up that way, really informative, without being boring. 

I'm going to Highland Park today for a 7 whisky tasting tour. I'll be massively popular when arriving for family meal at tea time.

We did the Highland Park tour a few years ago, and this English guy who fancied himself as professor of whisky really was pissing off the tour guide with his talking over her and generally being an arse. When it came to the tasting everybody was given a really substantial glass of whisky, but she gave him at least a half pint and stood over him until he drank it all, with everyone watching him and asking for his expert opinion.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Read that as 7 hour whisky tasting tour.  Which it might well be, I suppose.

The booziest one I ever had was Arran where you get  4 of 16 whiskies to choose from. After having my 4 full nips the guide said it was a shame to come all that way and not try the rest. Obviously not a full nip or I would be dead but I did get a decent taste of all 16 and by the time I got back to Brodick at 1230 in afternoon I was ready for a disco.

Anyway Highland Park tour was excellent and all the whiskies really good.12 is my go to for a half and half, 15 meh, the 18 year old has always been a favourite of mine. 21 year old was very nice but for a lot less money you get equally good strong Sherry casked whiskies like Aberlour a' Bunadh, I don't remember the 24 making much of an impression, the 30 was fucking nectar absolutely outstanding (and at 700 a bottle should be, like salted caramel with peat smoke to follow. The 40 was also very good but not as good as 30 and at 2500-3000  a bottle likely a once in a lifetime dram.

I'll be heading through to Campbeltown by the end of the month so want to try go to at least Springbank, and time permitting Glen Scotia. Glengyle would be a bonus if I wasn't sloshed by then.

6 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I'll be heading through to Campbeltown by the end of the month so want to try go to at least Springbank, and time permitting Glen Scotia. Glengyle would be a bonus if I wasn't sloshed by then.

Hoping to get to Springbank in October on the way to islay. I still haven't opened the 12 yo cask strength after 9 months but having seen away the leavings of about 12 different bottles since Xmas I think I can just about justify getting into the unopened bottles when I get home.

Springbank and Glengyle are both on the same grounds. We done both distilleries on Friday as our ferry to Islay was cancelled and we had time to kill until the 6pm ferry later on at night. Tour was £12 for both distilleries and got a couple of drams and miniatures afterwards. Takes a bit longer than usual as it's two distilleries in the one tour.

That was a great weekend just past. Springbank and Glengyle on the Friday and Bowmore, lunch at Ardbeg and then Laphroaig on the Saturday. Springbank and Corryveckan probably the two best drams of the weekend and bought a bottle of Bunnahabhain 13 yo marsala finish on the Sunday as we stopped in for a quick visit before we got the ferry home. Had a taster of the 13 yo marsala finish in the gift shop and it was outstanding.

11 hours ago, BigMartyn86 said:

Springbank and Glengyle are both on the same grounds. We done both distilleries on Friday as our ferry to Islay was cancelled and we had time to kill until the 6pm ferry later on at night. Tour was £12 for both distilleries and got a couple of drams and miniatures afterwards. Takes a bit longer than usual as it's two distilleries in the one tour.

That was a great weekend just past. Springbank and Glengyle on the Friday and Bowmore, lunch at Ardbeg and then Laphroaig on the Saturday. Springbank and Corryveckan probably the two best drams of the weekend and bought a bottle of Bunnahabhain 13 yo marsala finish on the Sunday as we stopped in for a quick visit before we got the ferry home. Had a taster of the 13 yo marsala finish in the gift shop and it was outstanding.

Aye so I seen. What an amazing deal that is btw. Tour of 2 distilleries, a cask strength half of Springbank and Kilkerran and miniatures of each for £12? Sign me up. Although looks like it will actually be 2nd week in June now. 

16 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

The booziest one I ever had was Arran where you get  4 of 16 whiskies to choose from. After having my 4 full nips the guide said it was a shame to come all that way and not try the rest. Obviously not a full nip or I would be dead but I did get a decent taste of all 16 and by the time I got back to Brodick at 1230 in afternoon I was ready for a disco.

Anyway Highland Park tour was excellent and all the whiskies really good.12 is my go to for a half and half, 15 meh, the 18 year old has always been a favourite of mine. 21 year old was very nice but for a lot less money you get equally good strong Sherry casked whiskies like Aberlour a' Bunadh, I don't remember the 24 making much of an impression, the 30 was fucking nectar absolutely outstanding (and at 700 a bottle should be, like salted caramel with peat smoke to follow. The 40 was also very good but not as good as 30 and at 2500-3000  a bottle likely a once in a lifetime dram.

What was the name of the HP tour you did? I work up in Orkney now and have been meaning to do that and the Scapa tour but was debating which HP to do.

12 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Proud owner of a Vega 23 year old. 

Nice. I seen they had a very nicely priced 40 year old earlier this year but it had sold out by the time I got near one. 

Any good?

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Nice. I seen they had a very nicely priced 40 year old earlier this year but it had sold out by the time I got near one. 

Any good?

It's lovely. Was at a whisky tasting and they only had 6 bottles, 5 to sell and one for folk to taste. We had to draw lots for the chance to buy it! It was £54 but they go for nearer £100 on the scotch whisky auctions. Might keep it unopened for a few years. 

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

It's lovely. Was at a whisky tasting and they only had 6 bottles, 5 to sell and one for folk to taste. We had to draw lots for the chance to buy it! It was £54 but they go for nearer £100 on the scotch whisky auctions. Might keep it unopened for a few years. 

Fair enough. Not much stays unopened in my hoose. Latest for me is the 13yo Hazelburn oloroso. It's magic.

19 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Fair enough. Not much stays unopened in my hoose. Latest for me is the 13yo Hazelburn oloroso. It's magic.

I have a few others that I have for day to day enjoyment. Dalmore 15 and Longmorn 16 going down particularly well at the moment. 

On 17/05/2018 at 07:44, GiGi said:

Aye so I seen. What an amazing deal that is btw. Tour of 2 distilleries, a cask strength half of Springbank and Kilkerran and miniatures of each for £12? Sign me up. Although looks like it will actually be 2nd week in June now. 

As if Master of Malt read my mind, picked up 2 bottles of Kilkerran 12 on a sale at £31 over the weekend. A good price.