whisky lovers

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Anyone ever tried Beinn Dubh? Really dark looking stuff, will be sampling tonight.

I have actually, it's basically black like a very dark rum. Or Jaegermeister. Apparently they use very charred casks to get it that colour naturally. 

Personally I thought it was very dull though. Unsurprisingly I reckon burning the shite out of the cask doesn't lend to passing on any wood character or let the spirit shine.

I'm not much of a Jura fan, but was just in the Shawlands Morrisons (I mean the one beside Pollok FC's ground - there are too many close together round there), and they had 2 bottles of the Jura Prophecy marked down at £20 each. Marked down as in a yellow sticker on the box; not a larger promotion. Must be end of a line.

I got one and left the other for someone else, so if anyone's in the area, wire in for a bargain, as it seems to be over £50 most places online.

It's on the bottom of a shelf at the end of one of the drinks aisles (the checkout end) with a bunch of other marked down stuff (e.g. the  200ml bottles of regular Jura are all just £5). This is 2 aisles down from the one where all the whisky is. 

I'm not much of a Jura fan, but was just in the Shawlands Morrisons (I mean the one beside Pollok FC's ground - there are too many close together round there), and they had 2 bottles of the Jura Prophecy marked down at £20 each. Marked down as in a yellow sticker on the box; not a larger promotion. Must be end of a line.
I got one and left the other for someone else, so if anyone's in the area, wire in for a bargain, as it seems to be over £50 most places online.
It's on the bottom of a shelf at the end of one of the drinks aisles (the checkout end) with a bunch of other marked down stuff (e.g. the  200ml bottles of regular Jura are all just £5). This is 2 aisles down from the one where all the whisky is. 
All of the Jura lines are ending and getting replaced.

25 minutes ago, milton75 said:

You should work for MI5.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
5 hours ago, milton75 said:

All of the Jura lines are ending and getting replaced.

With better whisky?

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

You should work for MI5.

I do. And you're in deep trouble, my lad.

13 minutes ago, milton75 said:

With better whisky?

Haven't tried any of it but it still looks like a few of them are still 40%. Uninspiring stuff so won't be going out of my way to try them.

Is cask strength a set percentage? I don't recall seeing 64.4% before.
Cask strength just means its bottled at whatever strength it is in the cask rather than being watered down to 40 or 43% or whatever.

6 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Is cask strength a set percentage? I don't recall seeing 64.4% before.

64 is very high by any standards. The usual strength most whisky is laid down in the cask is around 63.5% for most distillers, which then reduces further through evaporation etc. I've seen some single cask Glenlivet at near 70% abv even with 9 or 10 years in the cask.

17 hours ago, GiGi said:

https://www.thewhiskybarrel.co.uk/deanston-11-year-old-2006-signatory-cask-strength-900131.html

Very interesting. Never seen Deanston in the cask strength range. First fill sherry too.

U thinking of getting it? Quite tempted but would quite like a guinea pig before purchasing.

ETA also quite fancy this:

https://www.deanstonmalt.com/product/deanston-decennary/

Deanstons only a 15min drive for me  (distillery exclusive)

Edited by gannonball

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

U thinking of getting it? Quite tempted but would quite like a guinea pig before purchasing.

There wasn't much thinking to be done :P

Expect to have it mid next week.

My friend just poured me on of these. Lovely.IMG_20180505_190659.thumb.jpg.d61f958f40c0ab8eee317e637db7f88b.jpg
There was a bottle of that my folks house and it was very pleasant. 
Splashed out on a bit of a whim on the 15 year old revival today - not sure if it is an investment or for drinking. Glendronach collection growing though.20180506_205130.jpeg

3 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

There was a bottle of that my folks house and it was very pleasant. 
Splashed out on a bit of a whim on the 15 year old revival today - not sure if it is an investment or for drinking. Glendronach collection growing though.20180506_205130.jpeg

That is fuckin beautiful right there.