whisky lovers

8 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anybody tried Glenallachie? Looks a bit peely wally.

I haven't but the colour of whisky doesn't really tell you anything about how good it is anyway. You can tell the cask influence sometimes, that and most distilleries add food colouring to: 1, make it look darker and 2, make every batch the same shade for consistency.

Peely wally just means its probably not been tampered with too much out of the cask.

14 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I haven't but the colour of whisky doesn't really tell you anything about how good it is anyway. You can tell the cask influence sometimes, that and most distilleries add food colouring to: 1, make it look darker and 2, make every batch the same shade for consistency.

Peely wally just means its probably not been tampered with too much out of the cask.

Cheers. I shall purchase to see what the story is.

91xtcW4zTkL._SL1500_.jpg

Wired through half a bottle of this over the weekend. TBH I'm not sure i could pick it out against the standard 16 yo maybe a little smoother

If I was given a limit of £100 to spend on my last bottle of whisky, that would be one of the ones I would be considering.

gyfkkNh.jpg

I had some high hopes for these ones providing something interesting despite the young age. Sadly neither are particularly good. The Auchentoshan in particular is pretty poor with an overpowering peppercorn and ethanol nose. It's like the American Oak they do actually which is not a flattering comparison. 

The Glenturret is actually peated which was a surprise and it's a lot more palatable. Still not a standout to me though. 

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

gyfkkNh.jpg

I had some high hopes for these ones providing something interesting despite the young age. Sadly neither are particularly good. The Auchentoshan in particular is pretty poor with an overpowering peppercorn and ethanol nose. It's like the American Oak they do actually which is not a flattering comparison. 

The Glenturret is actually peated which was a surprise and it's a lot more palatable. Still not a standout to me though. 

I’ve had a couple of bottles from Carn Mor and both have been really disappointing. I know it’s completely irrational as they are all coming from different distilleries but I haven’t bought anything from there since.

9 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’ve had a couple of bottles from Carn Mor and both have been really disappointing. I know it’s completely irrational as they are all coming from different distilleries but I haven’t bought anything from there since.

Yeah, I usually find blind purchases like that a lot of fun and don't look for any type of review to sway me beforehand. Not expensive so no real loss if you don't like it but the single cask stuff I've bought up until now have never been anything short of 'good' ranging to 'sublime' with really interesting stuff in between even if they're not my favourite. 

These 2 were definitely in the 'pish' category. 

10 hours ago, ayrshire_nomad said:

20180406_173214.jpg
Anyone ever tried these? And how much should I have paid roughly (the set cost me £40) feeling I may have overpaid

How come the Islay is 700ml and the rest are only 200ml?

9 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think it’s exceptional.

Maybe Prestwick Airport at 6am wasn’t the best time to appreciate it.

I think I’d have preferred it with a few drops of water. 50% is too strong for me.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/douglas-laing/rock-oyster-18-year-old-whisky/?srh=1

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/douglas-laing/rock-oyster-sherry-edition-whisky/?srh=1

Ordered these 2 yesterday on a flash sale. I've tried the Rock Oyster before and it was superb for a blended malt at that price. Also got a bottle of the cask strength edition for my birthday earlier this year which is a beauty. Looking forward to trying the other variations.