whisky lovers

9 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

That's the "staunchest" looking bottle of whisky i've ever seen.

It is a tad staunch looking, but it's whats on the inside I am interested in.

Actually, that's a lie, I won't touch it. Giving it to someone as a gift!

I've a couple of them through a cousin who works at Chivas that gets them for about 40 quid a bottle. I've tried it once, it's a very juicy blend as smooth as they come. It's been years though so no idea what I'd make of the flavour profile.

It's classy as f**k though. Porcelain bottle, silk bag inside a big gold box. Perfect for a gift.

What would be a good quality malt for someone looking to get into whisky that could be described as 'really smooth? Maybe up to max £70

Glenmorangie 10 or Highland Park 12 or even Jura (whatever it’s calling itself these days). All solid and unspectacular “table whiskies”.

Does anyone have a benchmark for ABV%?

I very rarely buy anything below 46% and never amything below 43%.

Unsure why I have formulates this rule really I think I have started to find yer 40%ers a bit weak.

What says the more seasoned whisky drinker?

59 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Does anyone have a benchmark for ABV%?

I very rarely buy anything below 46% and never amything below 43%.

Unsure why I have formulates this rule really I think I have started to find yer 40%ers a bit weak.

What says the more seasoned whisky drinker?

Same. The more you try the more you'll look to slightly higher abv. 40% means watered down to the very minimum it can be and still be called whisky. Your palate will tell the difference when you're used to better juice.

46% seems to be a sweet spot, more and more distilleries are releasing malts in this kind of range. Pernod Ricard or whatever the one that owns Deanston, Tobermory and Bunnahabhain is bottle theirs at a recognisable 46.3% which I like. Springbank do all their range to at least 46%. Bruichladdich possibly even above that, the regular bottles of Laddie and Port Charlotte even at 50% I think. Most unchill-filtered whisky I see from single casks and Indy bottlers tends to start from 46% upwards as well up to the cask strength stuff.

So yep, whisky for the whisky drinker like yourself is generally better at higher proof and without chill filtering.

I always add water to my whisky anyway. If it was bottled at 40% I’ll put in less than I would when drinking something stronger.

As GiGi says though the higher bottling strength normally means that the whisky has not been chill filtered.  (Lower strength Non chill filtered whisky can go cloudy when water is added)

Whether or not I could taste the difference that chill filtration causes is debatable but a lot of distillers seem to think it impacts the taste.

11 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

91xtcW4zTkL._SL1500_.jpg

Wired through half a bottle of this over the weekend. TBH I'm not sure i could pick it out against the standard 16 yo maybe a little smoother

Brilliant whisky. I think it’s better than the standard but maybe not enough to justify paying the extra cash.