whisky lovers

It’s been a few years since I’ve been on Islay but totally agree.
What were the prices like? I remember that the prices in the Harbour Inn were steep.

Prices for most things eating / drinking seem about on a par with Edinburgh prices to me. Wasn't buying drams in that pub though so unsure on their pricing.

I looked at the Harbour Inn menu earlier funnily enough. The thing sticking in my memory is they sell oysters with a Bowmore whisky luge. Oysters and whisky doesn't seem like a dream combo to me!

Opened a bottle of Dalmore King Alexander iii this evening. Although I generally prefer a bit more smoke, this is one of the most complex and downright tasty whiskies I’ve ever had. It’s pricey, but my goodness it goes down well.

I've actually only had the Bunna 18 once at a festival, I need to add a bottle at some point. Along with with the superb Arran 18 it's there with the best Island stuff I've tried but it's just a bit pricey, good as it is. 
Sitting tonight with these 2 handsome numbers. 2017 batch on the left, 2018 on the right. 
X4hOU7h.jpg
This is probably the most interesting s-b-s I've attempted so far just to see the differences between batches. I didn't touch either of them for a good 15 minutes, just to let them develop. Started off the 2018 was sweeter and full of red fruit, the 2017 was bitter to start but eventually I probably just preferred that. 
There's not really that much to choose between them so considering they're at cask strength it's a pretty consistent product. I've tried stuff like Aberlour A'Bunadh which really differs between batches. The Springbank is comfortably better though and similarly priced. 
Apologies for how wanky the post ended up but I've had a few the night. 

Where did yoy get the springbank 12 out of interest?

25 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Where did yoy get the springbank 12 out of interest?

2017 batch from Master of Malt and 2018 from the Whisky Exchange. 

I was just in Morrisons in EK and noticed that they have started selling Balvenie Caribbean Cask. 

I couldn’t see a price tag on the shelf so asked how much and was charged £25.91.

At that price I’d have bought as many as they had, but there was only one.

£25.91 has to be a mistake.

Get yourself to your local Morrisons.

7 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I was just in Morrisons in EK and noticed that they have started selling Balvenie Caribbean Cask. 

I couldn’t see a price tag on the shelf so asked how much and was charged £25.91.

At that price I’d have bought as many as they had, but there was only one.

£25.91 has to be a mistake.

Get yourself to your local Morrisons.

Probably a mistake, Greenock Morrisons had it about £50 last week. A cracking wee bargain for you anyway. Nice sweet stuff.

18 hours ago, GiGi said:

Probably a mistake, Greenock Morrisons had it about £50 last week. A cracking wee bargain for you anyway. Nice sweet stuff.

It’s a mistake they are still making. I’ve just been back and bought another two.

32 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

It’s a mistake they are still making. I’ve just been back and bought another two.

Quality. I fancy price checking them on that one later today then. What store is this just in case it helps me leverage a wee bargain of my own?

35 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Quality. I fancy price checking them on that one later today then. What store is this just in case it helps me leverage a wee bargain of my own?

Morrisons at Stewartfield, East Kilbride.

Can’t say I have heard of Nicol Jarvie but only one way of finding out if its decent I suppose. Opened a 16 year old Jura last night against my better judgement and fount it rather meh as expected.  Will try and pop in to my local Morrissons today to see if they have gloriously fucked up the Balvenie price as well.

On 04/04/2018 at 13:10, Ziggy said:

They're still charging £47 as of today and not budging. Enjoy matey that's a rare deal you've found.

11 minutes ago, Stevieda said:

What would be a good quality malt for someone looking to get into whisky that could be described as 'really smooth? Maybe up to max £70

Balvenie 12. Highland Park 12. Johnny Walker Black Label / Green Label. Something along those lines, and can get them in any supermarket. 

23 minutes ago, Stevieda said:

What would be a good quality malt for someone looking to get into whisky that could be described as 'really smooth? Maybe up to max £70

If they are just getting in to it I would avoid anything with a bourbon finish. Not a fan of it these days but Auchentoshan would probably be the ‘smoothest’ possibly as its distilled 3 times. Personally I would recommend Clynelish 14 I found rather smooth and sweet. Can get itfor under 50 easily enough. Deanston 12 is mentioned often on here which you cant go too wrong with either which you can get for under 40 usually.

ETA- somebody mentioned more the supermarket stuff which Auchentoshan is often there. If its not a gift for anyone but just for yourself I would keep an eye out for what ever is on offer and get two bottkes + for the same money. You might not like one initially but as your taste buds change you could end up liking it further down the line. 

Edited by gannonball