whisky lovers

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

I've just opened this one which I got today.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/springbank/springbank-12-year-old-cask-strength-56-5-whisky/?srh=1

Deary me it's wonderful. I think I might have just got the last one of that batch on Master of Malt and have also ordered one of the new batch from TWE as well. Smells like maraschino cherries and a kind of salty-sweet honeycomb with the familiar funky Campbeltown malty flavour that I can only really describe as 'Campbeltown' because there's not really anything else like it. I've only ever got that nose and taste from Springbank and Kilkerran. Magical. 

If the cherry on the nose sounds oddly specific on the official tasting notes I can guarantee it actually is accurate. 

I bought a bottle of this back in september.

I havent opened it yet as i have about 20 bottles that I have opened over the past 3 or 4 years and i want to get to point where I only have 3 or 4 bottles on go at one time and finish them off in a few months whilst still fresh. I have about 6 unopened bottles and am not touching any of them until i finish of the rest.

You have almost persuaded me just to go for it though

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I bought a bottle of this back in september.

I havent opened it yet as i have about 20 bottles that I have opened over the past 3 or 4 years and i want to get to point where I only have 3 or 4 bottles on go at one time and finish them off in a few months whilst still fresh. I have about 6 unopened bottles and am not touching any of them until i finish of the rest.

You have almost persuaded me just to go for it though

Do it. It's far too good for the price not to just open it and drink it, I'll be trying to keep at least one bottle of this on the go at all times after this sweet introduction. About the same price as that Bordeux cask Deanston I've been waxing about, just better. 

I've just opened this one which I got today.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/springbank/springbank-12-year-old-cask-strength-56-5-whisky/?srh=1

Deary me it's wonderful. I think I might have just got the last one of that batch on Master of Malt and have also ordered one of the new batch from TWE as well. Smells like maraschino cherries and a kind of salty-sweet honeycomb with the familiar funky Campbeltown malty flavour that I can only really describe as 'Campbeltown' because there's not really anything else like it. I've only ever got that nose and taste from Springbank and Kilkerran. Magical. 

If the cherry on the nose sounds oddly specific on the official tasting notes I can guarantee it actually is accurate. 

That sounds effing lovely. Sold!

ETA Although I read it as Springbank, Glasgow at first.

21 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I had a taste of a Bowmore Bicentenary 1964 the other day. I can confirm it was absolutely lovely.

I’m jealous, how did that happen? I guess it’s a very expensive whisky.

I’ve mentioned it before but I don’t mind repeating it......

I tried 2 different 1964 Bowmores. Both were sampled straight from the casks in the distillery warehouse, one of them was a 1st fill sherry cask whilst the other was a 1st fill bourbon cask. By far the best whiskies that I’m ever likely to try.

5 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Given this as a gift

16584-540x335.jpg

Nice enough but not sure of the point. If I wanted a "smoky island style" I'd buy a malt

That is a malt and it has smoky island whisky in it. It's the travel retail version of the normal green label. 

Edited by GiGi

I tried 2 different 1964 Bowmores. Both were sampled straight from the casks in the distillery warehouse, one of them was a 1st fill sherry cask whilst the other was a 1st fill bourbon cask. By far the best whiskies that I’m ever likely to try.

I think the bottle is worth at least 4 grand. I work for a whisky place so I get the opportunity from time to time to try some rare ones. I’m trying to remember what I’ve tried...had a 30 year old Macallan old bottling sherry cask one before...pretty amazing. You can definitely tell the difference between a really old whisky compared to your standard ones. Go down like a dream.

I like how your tried those at the actual distillery. Magic.

On 23/02/2018 at 19:25, Ziggy said:

Had a 40 year old Bowmore for my 40th Birthday. Two large ones came to £40. Awsomely complex and velvety, tasted nothing like it before or since.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2018 at 21:33, Unleash The Nade said:

Tasted this for the first time at the weekend.

Very smooth and too easy to drink

94ECC59D-0DE2-4A23-A05B-A9B75F45C390.thumb.jpeg.1213d7298ce210703b94980fed083156.jpeg

Marks and Spencer currently selling this for £32 a bottle

I appreciate you can get it online for around £30 but p&p usually around £5.00

Whisky shop in Buchanan Galleries currently selling it for £44 !

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Balvenie Peat Week... Just learned it existed and now choking to buy a bottle. Anyone tried?

No but I am also intrigued. Will be going to the pot still in Glasgow next wednesday before a comedy gig and will see if they have a nip of any of them.

Where did one find the gift set type thingy?

See GiGi's post.

Probably Drinks by the Dram.
http://www.drinksbythedram.com/tasting-set

Yep, i think it was a Pic you put on GiGi previously that i remembered about it, is this who you use?
Just used the build your own tasting set tool and looked for ones that had been mentioned here. I think for the set i done there it was £29.