whisky lovers

I used to mix different gingers to come up with my own exotic flavours.

The 2000s were a hell of a time.

I used to demand to get taken to the beafeater every time we went out for a family meal as they had this amazing tropical fruit drink. In later life I have now worked out it was orange and blackcurrant cordial with lemonade.Goes fantastic with a Talisker 21 year old.

You haven't lived until you've had a Balvenie 21 Portwood and Moray Cup.

I was at the Copper Dog (Craigellachie Hotel) the other day and they had something like this advertised as a 'Moray Iced Tea' in their cocktail list. Some dram with Moray Cup anyway.

Here you go snobs, from the Ambassador of Glenfiddich distilleries (the most awarded single malt maker).....

Working for the worlds most awarded single malt Scotch whisky certainly has its advantages, the first of which is that I can go into most bars around the world and order a Glenfiddich. The other is that the delicate flavours of Glenfiddich lends itself very easily to a well prepared cocktail. Some may be reading this right now and cursing me. I can almost hear the cries of it is sacrilege to add anything to a good single malt! as I am typing this. I always say to peopledrink Scotch whisky however you enjoy it, either neat, with water or ice. Dont get me wrong, taking our spectacular 40 year old Glenfiddich, where we can trace some of its DNA back to being distilled at the Glenfiddich distillery on the 3rd July 1925, and adding some diet cola to it would be something I would never like to witness, but I have experimented with both the 12YO and 15YO expressions and trust me when I say it works.

When you look at the fascinating subject of Scotch whisky history, it is interesting to note that it was originally drunk flavoured with various herbs and often honey, so arguably we have been making Scotch whisky cocktails for a couple of centuries. We also have to remember that the rocks glass was originally shaped that way for people to drink scotch and soda, which was very much the way to drink it back in the early 1900s. One of earliest classic scotch cocktails comes from New York in the form of the fantastic Rob Roy. This includes the stirring of Scotch whisky with vermouth and bitters and is still one of the most commonly seen in bars today..

..I guess he isnt as cultured as the drink snobs on here.

Edited by THE KING

Well that's that sorted then. A Distillery Ambassador (who's sole job is to encourage people to buy/drink as much of their brand of whisky as possible) tells you it's ok to drink their cheapest lines with some soda, but not to waste their best lines. Kind of backs up our point more than yours doesn't it?

We also have to remember that the rocks glass was originally shaped that way for people to drink scotch and soda, which was very much the way to drink it back in the early 1900s.

Probably a good point to highlight that this means a malt with a bit of soda added, not drowned out by mixer in a 1:5 ratio as you would do with coke.

... and where to start with comparing balanced 'designed' cocktails with the likes of vermouth to drowning it in a single £1.99-per-bottle mixer. Wise up min.

Here you go snobs, from the Ambassador of Glenfiddich distilleries (the most awarded single malt maker).....

Working for the worlds most awarded single malt Scotch whisky certainly has its advantages, the first of which is that I can go into most bars around the world and order a Glenfiddich. The other is that the delicate flavours of Glenfiddich lends itself very easily to a well prepared cocktail. Some may be reading this right now and cursing me. I can almost hear the cries of it is sacrilege to add anything to a good single malt! as I am typing this. I always say to peopledrink Scotch whisky however you enjoy it, either neat, with water or ice. Dont get me wrong, taking our spectacular 40 year old Glenfiddich, where we can trace some of its DNA back to being distilled at the Glenfiddich distillery on the 3rd July 1925, and adding some diet cola to it would be something I would never like to witness, but I have experimented with both the 12YO and 15YO expressions and trust me when I say it works.

When you look at the fascinating subject of Scotch whisky history, it is interesting to note that it was originally drunk flavoured with various herbs and often honey, so arguably we have been making Scotch whisky cocktails for a couple of centuries. We also have to remember that the rocks glass was originally shaped that way for people to drink scotch and soda, which was very much the way to drink it back in the early 1900s. One of earliest classic scotch cocktails comes from New York in the form of the fantastic Rob Roy. This includes the stirring of Scotch whisky with vermouth and bitters and is still one of the most commonly seen in bars today..

..I guess he isnt as cultured as the drink snobs on here.

^^^ Edited version. By all means put ginger in our cheap stuff, but not the good stuff.

I wonder how he'd feel about putting lidl 19p cola in it?