Mad Men

Poor Lane :(

Poor Don :( the guilt of that would be terrible

Betty was loving getting one over Megan. B*tch.

Have we seen the last of Peggy now?

there has been talk that elisabeth moss has left the show. i doubt we've seen the last of her even if it's only as a guest star.

I'm going to disagree with the consensus here and say I thought episode 11 (the Joan episode) was a serious misstep, of the kind I can't think of the programme having made before. The plot seemed contrived to achieve an end and I struggle to believe that at least some of the characters involved would behave as they did.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have spoiled my enjoyment of the series as a whole, it's still the best thing on telly, and the Lane story in episode 12 was both believable and very well handled. And yes, I laughed out loud at the car gag, a great pay-off which was well set up over several weeks. One of those things that I didn't see coming and then realised I should have done as soon as it happened.

And yes, Don is going to feel terrible about that - particularly after the story with his brother in the first series. Although he does seem to have a way of compartmentalising things and handling shit better than most. (And, unlike his brother, he actually has nothing to blame himself for here - or at least I wouldn't say so.)

It'd be hard to imagine the programme without Peggy, next to Don she's been central to it. And I very much doubt Weiner would write her out. It's possible that Moss may have wanted to leave but I think (and hope) it's more likely that she'll be back next series by some ruse or other. (Remember the third series when it seemed for a few weeks that Joan had left.)

Agree. He's a fantastic character.

I still crack up with him introducing 'Duck, Crab, Crab, Duck' to each other in Series 2.

Or when he spies Lane's Knight armour 'Do you ever get 3 sheets to the wind and ry that thing on?'

There's so many more much better than those two.

Season 5 is shaping up great.

'You turned all the sizzle from Glo-Coat into a wet fart.'

Classic.

I tried to sum up the show to my missus but she wasn't getting it and what it boiled down to was me saying:

"Nothing really happens, but it does"

Does that make sense to any of you?

That is exactly the phrase I end up saying. It is a really hard to try and convince people to watch this show. Saying that, the people who I have convinced are all completely hooked on it.

I'm going to disagree with the consensus here and say I thought episode 11 (the Joan episode) was a serious misstep, of the kind I can't think of the programme having made before. The plot seemed contrived to achieve an end and I struggle to believe that at least some of the characters involved would behave as they did.

which characters in particular?

pete doesn't care about other people, don reacted like the son of a whore he is, roger shunned responsibilty, lane was only interested in covering his tracks (partnership rather than a lump sum), bert was chilled out.

which characters in particular?

pete doesn't care about other people, don reacted like the son of a whore he is, roger shunned responsibilty, lane was only interested in covering his tracks (partnership rather than a lump sum), bert was chilled out.

Roger and Lane mostly, I think. And probably Joan herself.

(Pete I'd no problem with, he'd sell his soul. And Bert Cooper has no balls and probably sees the world of sex as a marketplace anyway - plus he's got the whole Ayn Rand thing going on where the end justifies the means for the right people.)

Edited to add: as far as Lane goes, even the contrivance of his own difficulties didn't make any sense. Yes the partnership thing got him out of a whole, but taking that tack ran the risk that Joan would say no thanks, I'll take the cash - he could have avoided such a possibility altogether by vetoing it. (And I can't believe Roger would have still gone for it if left with the casting vote.)

Edited by Yoss

i bought it.

lane was deep in a hole and roger always does his best to avoid anything serious.

joan married a guy who raped her. spending a few hours with some sleazbag to make sure you never have to rely on a man for anything ever again isn't that bad a deal.