Islam Feruz

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Wish to f**k I'd squandered my potential and been a multi-millionaire barely out of my teenage years.

The kid never made it at the top and won't now, even at 22 but he's made greater gain from it than the vast majority of professional footballers - even a lot of ones who have turned out better than him - ever will. Fair play to him.

...and that's the obvious counter when this subject comes up; he's made a fat stack of cash, so what does it matter that he may never score a goal in senior football.

If that's his primary concern, then I don't suppose it does. However, it always strikes me as a tad dissonant when football fans say they'd personally be happy with that.

9 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

I don't have to. Your posts are available for everyone to see. People can make their own minds up, as I have.

Based on what though?  I'm completely bewildered by this accusation.

• 6 months later...
Bump.

According to today's paper: at the same time as Scotland v San Marino on Sunday, across the road at Toryglen an overweight Feruz came on as a substitute for Govan v Unscoutables in an amateur kickabout. His team lost 4-0.

Wow, that really is staggering!

7 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Wow, that really is staggering!

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/opinion/alan-pattullo-lament-for-the-unfulfilled-career-of-islam-feruz-1-5029179

The 30th anniversary of the release of the Blue Nile’s magnificently melancholic album Hats received a measure of recognition this week.

Walking to Hampden Park in the drizzle last Sunday night felt like stepping into one of their songs, particularly From A Late Night Train, a track off that record, with its talk of rainy pavements and the haunting reprise: “It’s over now, I know it’s over…” And not just because it seemed to chime with Scotland’s Euro 2020 group qualifying campaign.

The song would also work as an elegy for the career of Islam Feruz – a player who might have been expected to fire Scotland to these finals. The trope of the footballer who could have had it all, but threw it away, is a hackneyed one now. But rarely has it been portrayed as starkly as it was last weekend. Parking near Hampden ahead of Scotland’s clash with San Marino, I was pointed in the direction of an interesting figure playing across the road at Toryglen.

On the farthest away pitch, Feruz was in action for a team of Govan associates against another side going under the name of The Unscoutables. When I say he was in action, that’s not strictly accurate. Clearly unfit, he featured as a second half substitute. His side lost 4-0.

I’d left long before, to report on Scotland’s progress literally across the road. Teamsheets handed out in the Hampden media room confirmed a start for Dundee United’s Lawrence Shankland – born in August 1995, just a month before Feruz.

As expected, the side would be skippered by Andy Robertson, who recently recalled playing alongside Feruz for Celtic youth teams. “He was the golden boy,” said Robertson.

He did make a large sum of cash, though. That's bound to come up at some point.

Fair play to him if he is still trying, and not just rolling up to matches like the one mentioned and expecting to get a gig based on his name. Always good to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

It just goes to show you that the key ingredients to becoming a top player are a good attitude and a burning desire to constantly better yourself and learn from others.  Natural ability with a football alone means you end up playing in the amateurs.