Islam Feruz

12 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
22 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:
It just goes to show you that the key ingredients to becoming a top player are a good attitude and a burning desire to constantly better yourself and learn from others.  Natural ability with a football alone means you end up playing in the amateurs. 

Chic Charnley

Good point. Maybe Chic would have had a career at Celtic had he had better discipline. 

8 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Feruz is a cautionary tale about the fickle nature of football, and a tale that could very well point to struggles with mental health.  The football world has a lot of work to do in that regard, I wonder what support he got, if any.  

It would be interesting to see what advances have been made in this regard in the last 5 years. From a hard nosed business perspective, if you can make sure you support players so they become well rounded individuals at the same time then you must substantially increase the likelihood of developing top level players. Easier said than done though - how many of us can say we were well rounded mentally as teenagers? Any latter and you've missed the boat as a top level footballer. 

On 20/10/2019 at 02:05, Enigma said:

Why? He was given every opportunity, a hell of a lot more than some that deserved it more than himself.

Because he’s a young black kid from Scotland in London with more money than he can count, not the right friends and nobody to guide him. 

It’s like people think young kids should be mature beyond their years because someone puts a bit of money in their bank. 

• 8 months later...

Is that actually his account?

Whether he likes it or not, we'd need to be the worst side in Europe for a 24 year old with about half-a-dozen senior games to his name to be Scotland's Greatest.

40 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Aye, it's his account. Can't say this was a thread I expected to see bumped.

Och, we'll no doubt be updating this thread in 2045 to celebrate his promotion to Regional Manager with B&M Homestores  :P

It would be lovely to see him resuscitate his career, but then you read bollocks like that tweet and realise he's living on another planet.

On 20/10/2019 at 22:52, John Lambies Doos said:
On 20/10/2019 at 12:20, Falcor Roar said:
It just goes to show you that the key ingredients to becoming a top player are a good attitude and a burning desire to constantly better yourself and learn from others.  Natural ability with a football alone means you end up playing in the amateurs. 

Chic Charnley

Good call. Our Gazza.

I'll raise you Ravel Morrison.

42 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Just googling and it seems that back in April he was bleating about opening a hat factory or some such pish.
https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/ex-chelsea-celtic-whizkid-feruz-ditches-football-for-fashion-career-4324092#popup-sso

April 1st, by any chance?

What a story this boy had at the start of his career. Was all set up to be an inspirational tale of triumph over adversity, even if he didn't end up making it at the top. Shame that he now is such an unlikeable character that nobody has any sympathy for how his career went.

I'm sure I remember him scoring a fabulous goal in an age level international. He looked like he would be a decent player at that time, but unfortunately we all know what happened very much a case of talent wasted 

12 hours ago, stanton said:

I'm sure I remember him scoring a fabulous goal in an age level international. He looked like he would be a decent player at that time, but unfortunately we all know what happened very much a case of talent wasted 

Hes the perfect example of someone who thinks theyve made it as they're a star for the youths. It happens all the time.

When it comes to knuckling down, improving physically and mentally to deal with mens football, many fall short and believe their talent will see them through.

23 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Is that actually his account?

Whether he likes it or not, we'd need to be the worst side in Europe for a 24 year old with about half-a-dozen senior games to his name to be Scotland's Greatest.

So... he’s actually got a point, is what you are saying?

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

So... he’s actually got a point, is what you are saying?

I still fancy our chances against San Marino.

Over ten games. At Hampden.

• 3 years later...