Roberto Martinez

Marshmallo

The other thing as well is his wage bill is much greater than the likes of Lambert and Rodgers.

Yip, and they've both had their clubs playing at a consistantly high level throughout the whole season. Wigan have been rank most of the season, have hit a great run of form and suddenly Martinez is a genius. You have to look at the season as a whole and judge him on that. They'll likely finish 15th-16th which for Wigan is good going and means Martinez has done well. However, what Rodgers, Lambert and Pardew have done this season pisses all over Martinez.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other thing as well is his wage bill is much greater than the likes of Lambert and Rodgers.

Yip, and they've both had their clubs playing at a consistantly high level throughout the whole season. Wigan have been rank most of the season, have hit a great run of form and suddenly Martinez is a genius. You have to look at the season as a whole and judge him on that. They'll likely finish 15th-16th which for Wigan is good going and means Martinez has done well. However, what Rodgers, Lambert and Pardew have done this season pisses all over Martinez.

The big test for them will be if they can overcome "2nd season syndrome" next year.

I have doubts about Norwich and Swansea, but Newcastle strike me as a very good side who have the players to do the business for them.

With Newcastle it will probably come down to whether they can keep their best players, they've got 4-5 players that might interest bigger clubs. Getting Champions League football would obviously help greatly in that respect.

HB, you're quite the fan of Martinez, no?

Yeah, I really like him. He's a cool dude.

My admiration of him was tempered slightly when I saw Wigan's wage bill though. He's not quite the miracle worker I at first credited him with being.

He wins people over with his Latin charm and stunning good looks.

He's achieved next to nothing as a manager.

This is my view as well. He's kind of like the manager equivalent of Guillem Balague. If his name was John Smith and he had a brummy accent he'd be out on his arse.

two best posts in the thread.

"achieved next to nothing". Oh lol.

the likes of swansea and norwich could be experiencing the usual "first season in the EPL" run that most promoted teams get

in their first ever season in the EPL wigan finihsed 10th and reached the league cup final, infact they were 2nd in the league by november that season

norwich and swansea will need to reproduce this seasons form next season

Connir Sammon was a more dubious signing IMO and he hasn't scored for nearly a year now despite playing fairly regularly. Whatever Mixu was doing for him at Killie clearly hasn't continued down south.

It wasn't so much what Mixu was doing for him, but what Alexei Eremenko was doing for him.

Sammon scored 14 goals in 19 SPL games with Eremenko in the team. He scored 3 in 46 without him.

Yeah, I really like him. He's a cool dude.

My admiration of him was tempered slightly when I saw Wigan's wage bill though. He's not quite the miracle worker I at first credited him with being.

wages arent everything though H_B, its not martinez's fault that Wigan pay their players the amount they do

In regards to this season it took a while for Wigan to get settled again, also they had some pretty terrible luck in games where they played well but didnt get anything

It wasn't so much what Mixu was doing for him, but what Alexei Eremenko was doing for him.

Sammon scored 14 goals in 19 SPL games with Eremenko in the team. He scored 3 in 46 without him.

Interesting, cheers. Eremenko is back in Russia now is he not?

wages arent everything though H_B

ssssh, it's the only thing he knows.

If Milan Jovanovic is paid more than Bale then he is automatically a better player.

He operates using the rational model, each asset is valued using all the market information and everyone in the market has all the information. Therefore, wages are the only thing that equates to success, to get out of this model requires personal brilliance on the part of one actor - in his case the manager - and nothing else.

It's bullshit, but at least he sticks with it.

Interesting, cheers. Eremenko is back in Russia now is he not?

Yes. Joined his brother Roman at Rubin Kazan, but only played a handful of games before getting crocked during a Finland game around October/November time. Hasn't played since.

wages arent everything though H_B, its not martinez's fault that Wigan pay their players the amount they do

He has parameters to work in, same as every other manager does. Wigan, due to a benevolant owner and a few years of Premiership TV cash, have reserves available to them that clubs like Swansea and Norwich can't compete with.

Wigan are paying players what certain of their pre season relegation rivals cannot afford.

Therefore his achievements have to be viewed in line with expectations. With their wage bill they should be expecting to beat relegation this season, albeit not by much. He's had a very mixed season - some of Wigan's performances before this spell would have got football stopped.

That doesn't mean he isn't a good manager. He is. Wigan are still unfashionable, and it's difficult to attract players to such a club. He's done well to get two Premiership starters out of a nothing club like Hamilton for example. Good scouting and coaching.

That "nothing club" honed the talents of the James's, giving McCarthy his debut aged 15, when he clearly wasn't really ready. We are doing much the same as your club are doing except we weren't forced into it financially.

Not a lot of mentions of McCarthy and McArthur on this thread or indeed last night's match thread. A Wigan fan today on SSN highlighted their inclusion recently as being a very significant reason for their turnaround, even going as far as to call them the best midfield duo in the Premiership in the last few weeks. Both played the full 90 in wins over Liverpool, Man Utd and last night. When Wigan were losing eight in a row earlier in the season, McArthur was on the bench mostly, although he did come on to set up the winning goal at Sunderland. The Latics Speyk site had a very intersting thread on the pair.

As for Connor Sammon, he plays his part. He had a great run against Man Utd and did a fine job last night. Most of his appearances have been from the bench.

That "nothing club" honed the talents of the James's, giving McCarthy his debut aged 15, when he clearly wasn't really ready. We are doing much the same as your club are doing except we weren't forced into it financially.

Well, that';s debateable re "financially". But yes, Falkirk are also a nothing club.

Archived