The X Files

Busta Nut

Battering through the first series, and whilst enjoying it, it's not really reeling me in. Granted, I'm only at episode 15. The episode 'Ice' has been far and away my favourite so far. I watched these when I was younger, but I have absolutely no recollection of it.

Will I be reeled in soon?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Battering through the first series, and whilst enjoying it, it's not really reeling me in. Granted, I'm only at episode 15. The episode 'Ice' has been far and away my favourite so far. I watched these when I was younger, but I have absolutely no recollection of it.

Will I be reeled in soon?

Was that the one that pretty much ripped off The Thing?

Not watched the show in ages but loved the first few series but lost interest with it. Toombs and Shapes are episodes that stick out for me

I'm going to go for the opposite and say that you won't be reeled in.

In my opinion it's not really that kind of show, I think The X-Files can be a real slog at times and it's not ideal box set viewing. Because of the procedural set up of having a 'case of the week' the majority of storylines are done and dusted at the end of each episode and the lack of 'cliffhanger' or ongoing story can often not make you want to instantly watch the next episode.

There are of course recurring themes and background stories in The X-Files that come to the front in some episodes and there are some great standalone episodes and performances, however like any long running procedural, there are number of duds as well. Because of the format, I think it lends itself better to watching one episode a week (like how you would have watched it on its initial run on TV)

The X Files has aged a bit, in that sense. In the days of series giving you a central plot with big f**k off cliffhanger episodes it seems strange to see Scully go from hunting an abducted Mulder to investigating a bat-man creature with no reference to her missing partner and then back again the next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Started re-watching it from the begining and firstly, jesus it started nearly 20 years ago and 2nd the Gillian Anderson crush is back lol

Watched the first half dozen episodes agreed with whats mentioned before some are really mundane like Ghost in the machine but then you have other classics like Squeeze. Il keep plodding along but also started rewatching Buffy, Im playing a dangerous game lol

What was the one about a guy who thought about the big bopper missing the plane crash, because of a flip of a coin, and could then see the future through probabilities?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

What was the one about a guy who thought about the big bopper missing the plane crash, because of a flip of a coin, and could then see the future through probabilities?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, a great episode.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gillian Anderson on Top Gear right now, she would still get it, in a cougar-ry type way!!!

That was lovely, as was she, incredibly sexy woman, glad I recorded that might watch it again later on!!!

I am reasonably certain that watching this entire series in the space of about a month when I was 13 is what made me like girls with ginger hair so much.

I will steadfastly avoid anything new that happens though, as it will inevitability be both bad in its own right and an affront to what went before it. Much like the second film was.

I found the Monsters of the Week episodes far superior to the story arc episodes. On watching the whole series it is quite amusing spotting actors that became well known after the X-Files, but were just extras or had a couple of lines. You can even spot a cameo from Dave Grohl.

Missed this quote the first time round but Seth Green (Buffy / Austin Powers / Family Guy / Robot Chicken) is in the second-ever episode.

I'm currently working my way through the x files having been an occasional viewer first time round.

Currently on season 8. There have been some absolutely honking episodes but all in all its still one of tv's best ever series.

Probably helps that I have a thing for cute redheads wink.gif

Ditto.

The truly rotten X Files episode can be counted on the fingers of one Larkhall man's hand. Plenty of potboilers, though. Drive, that featured Bryan Cranston, was a bit like that, but it was so well executed and the idea behind it was fascinating.

There's talk of a reboot. Lukewarm.

Archived