The X Files

Busta Nut

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

I think the episode "Monday" is one of my personal favourites, that's the one where it's basically groundhog day of a bank job. "Field Trip" and Folie á Deux" are superb too.

Oh and for a comedy one "Small Potatoes" is superb. I also agree about the shouts for "Bad Blood" and "Hollywood AD" I'd like to nominate "X-Cops" as well.

The early series were totally brilliant, refreshing and original and nothing else on telly touched it when it came out but it 'jumped the shark' towards the end and started to get a wee bit silly...the Smoking Man thing dragged on far too long as well

Gillian Anderson though......:wub:

post-41141-0-29173600-1350202448_thumb.j

After about season seven, it became shite. Even the main actors didn't want to appear in it. First few seasons were terrific. Particularly enjoyed the random comedy episodes.

There was a point where it all built up to the hybrid fetus, and the plan for the smoking man et al. to leave the earth, the aliens who had blinded themselves etc, and for me, thats where it should have ended, once the big conspiracy was nicely sorted out. I forget what series that was, but after that, I gradually lost interest.

There was a point where it all built up to the hybrid fetus, and the plan for the smoking man et al. to leave the earth, the aliens who had blinded themselves etc, and for me, thats where it should have ended, once the big conspiracy was nicely sorted out. I forget what series that was, but after that, I gradually lost interest.

Yes, indeed.. I seem to recall an episode when they found a great big warehouse full of alien embryos while they were investigating Scully's illness. Round about then would have been a good place to stop. Trouble was, the first movie made a tonne of money, and they invested it in bigger explosions and the guy from Terminator 2, and it got really dull.

The last couple of series were really poor, although that wasn't solely to do with Robert Patrick. Once both Mulder and Scully weren't regular cast members people lost interest. Duchovny was excellent when he played Mulder comic. I watched all episodes again this year and they really are some truly bizarre episodes, extremely funny episodes, creepy as f**k episodes and down right atrocious episodes.

I found the Monsters of the Week episodes far superior to the story arc episodes. On watching the whole series it is quite amusing spotting actors that became well known after the X-Files, but were just extras or had a couple of lines. You can even spot a cameo from Dave Grohl.

The last couple of series were really poor, although that wasn't solely to do with Robert Patrick. Once both Mulder and Scully weren't regular cast members people lost interest. Duchovny was excellent when he played Mulder comic. I watched all episodes again this year and they really are some truly bizarre episodes, extremely funny episodes, creepy as f**k episodes and down right atrocious episodes.

I found the Monsters of the Week episodes far superior to the story arc episodes. On watching the whole series it is quite amusing spotting actors that became well known after the X-Files, but were just extras or had a couple of lines. You can even spot a cameo from Dave Grohl.

I don't think the last two series were all that bad---they just weren't all that great.

I think its amazing how they managed to do horror, to do comedy, to do creepy, to do thought-provoking drama...and yet manage to do all of it well (most of the time, anyway). The versatility of the writing and the actors is quite astounding really. For me, though, the comedy episodes were probably the strongest ones. Some of them are absolute genius...

...and it helps that I have a thing for cute redheads :wub: :wub: :wub:

I really liked the episode in which the elephant man becomes a Cher tribute act.

Who were the Monsters of the Week?

It just means the episodes where they took a break from the story arc and threw in an episode with a "Monster" and never really connected it to the main story

I don't think the last two series were all that bad---they just weren't all that great.

I think its amazing how they managed to do horror, to do comedy, to do creepy, to do thought-provoking drama...and yet manage to do all of it well (most of the time, anyway). The versatility of the writing and the actors is quite astounding really. For me, though, the comedy episodes were probably the strongest ones. Some of them are absolute genius...

...and it helps that I have a thing for cute redheads :wub: :wub: :wub:

The whole Super Soldier thing I thought was atrocious. The one episode where Burt Reynolds turns up as some kind of psychic I thought was superb. I liked John Doggett but I felt the writing wasn't as strong as it was previously. However the back story episodes about the murder of his son were extremely well done, and showed that he is a a very good actor.

The comedy episodes were the funniest. Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny were brilliant together when playing the comic roles. I am not sure what episode it is, but they arrive in a small town and get interviewed by the local sheriff. You then see what happened through Scully's eyes and then through Mulder's eyes. Luke Wilson plays the cop, and in Scully's version he is suave, handsome, intelligent and a great cop. While when Mulder tells the story he is Doofy from the Scary Movie films. Very funny episode.

The whole Super Soldier thing I thought was atrocious. The one episode where Burt Reynolds turns up as some kind of psychic I thought was superb. I liked John Doggett but I felt the writing wasn't as strong as it was previously. However the back story episodes about the murder of his son were extremely well done, and showed that he is a a very good actor.

The comedy episodes were the funniest. Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny were brilliant together when playing the comic roles. I am not sure what episode it is, but they arrive in a small town and get interviewed by the local sheriff. You then see what happened through Scully's eyes and then through Mulder's eyes. Luke Wilson plays the cop, and in Scully's version he is suave, handsome, intelligent and a great cop. While when Mulder tells the story he is Doofy from the Scary Movie films. Very funny episode.

That's the episode 'Bad Blood', it's one of my favourite ones. I mentioned it earlier in this very thread.

I think the problem with the Doggett / Reyes episodes is that people watch them and compare them too much to the Mulder / Scully ones. Which is fair enough, to an extent, but on their own they are very good episodes on the whole. Some of their Monster of the Week episodes are great. I do agree that the Mythology episodes started to drag on a bit.

It still remains my favourite ever TV series, though. Be interested to see where it ends up on the Top 50 thread. Wonder if anyone else agreed with me.

That's the episode 'Bad Blood', it's one of my favourite ones. I mentioned it earlier in this very thread.

I think the problem with the Doggett / Reyes episodes is that people watch them and compare them too much to the Mulder / Scully ones. Which is fair enough, to an extent, but on their own they are very good episodes on the whole. Some of their Monster of the Week episodes are great. I do agree that the Mythology episodes started to drag on a bit.

It still remains my favourite ever TV series, though. Be interested to see where it ends up on the Top 50 thread. Wonder if anyone else agreed with me.

It was top 5 on mine, I think.

Never truly got into The X-Files first time around as I could never keep tuning in every week and as such lost the series long plots and back story. However on the US content of Netflix (unsure if it's on the UK content) they have the complete seasons of X-Files which I've started to fire on with them....7 down, 195 to go.

Extremely disappointed however, that episode 2 titled "Deepthroat" actually had no scenes at all where Scully got down and dirty with it. :angry:

Archived