Transferring A Website

How easy is it?

The current site is written in php and we pay a company an extortiante (sp??) amount of money just to host it. Ive found a much cheaper alternative but the first lot want £100 an hour for their programmer to liase with us and transfer files AND they reckon its a 3 hour job :blink:

Ive done quite a bit of web design and asp (but not php) work, so Im reckoning if they just give us the files I should be able to sort it out.

Anyone any experience of this? Am I right, or is it more complicated than I think??

How easy is it?

The current site is written in php and we pay a company an extortiante (sp??) amount of money just to host it. Ive found a much cheaper alternative but the first lot want £100 an hour for their programmer to liase with us and transfer files AND they reckon its a 3 hour job  :blink:

Ive done quite a bit of web design and asp (but not php) work, so Im reckoning if they just give us the files I should be able to sort it out.

Anyone any experience of this? Am I right, or is it more complicated than I think??

454674[/snapback]

It's easy :D

I will assume both hosts are running a flavour of Unix.

It is easiest if you have shell access (SSH). You can then make a full tar archive of your site on your existing server and then ftp that single file (using GZIP to reduce the size) to your local computer.

From there, again assuming you have shell access on your new server you can upload the tar.gz file and then unpack it using your recursive directory structure to keep all the files in the right place.

Now it's a case of resetting permissions on the files to match your old server, and then amend any paths in your scripts to ensure they will work on the new box.

Finally backup any databases you use on the old server using mysqldump and then transfer these .sql files to your new server, import into new database and again amend your scripts to use the new db.

Sorted.

It can be done without shell access just using ftp but is slower.

If you have been quoited £300 for it I'll do it for you for £100 :D

Div, do you work for a hosting company mate? I work for one maself tae...

As far as I know though, we'll just transfer a domain for a customer, though, if I was asked. If a client asked me to transfer the files from one server to ours, i'd do it for f**k all. but with php / mysql sites a lot more shite in involved... Cannae be fucked doing that, especially free of charge.

It's easy  :D

I will assume both hosts are running a flavour of Unix.

It is easiest if you have shell access (SSH). You can then make a full tar archive of your site on your existing server and then ftp that single file (using GZIP to reduce the size) to your local computer.

From there, again assuming you have shell access on your new server you can upload the tar.gz file and then unpack it using your recursive directory structure to keep all the files in the right place.

Now it's a case of resetting permissions on the files to match your old server, and then amend any paths in your scripts to ensure they will work on the new box.

Finally backup any databases you use on the old server using mysqldump and then transfer these .sql files to your new server, import into new database and again amend your scripts to use the new db.

Sorted.

It can be done without shell access just using ftp but is slower.

If you have been quoited £300 for it I'll do it for you for £100  :D

455074[/snapback]

Cheers Div ;)

thats pretty much what I thought, as long as the directory structure is the same it shouldnt be too difficult.

The worst thing is, all the intellectual copyright belongs to our company. These feckers are basically trying to charge us to give us back our property :o And if you knew how much we'd paid them in the first place for the site design you'd think I was taking the piss <_<

Cheers Div  ;)

thats pretty much what I thought, as long as the directory structure is the same it shouldnt be too difficult.

The worst thing is, all the intellectual copyright belongs to our company. These feckers are basically trying to charge us to give us back our property  :o And if you knew how much we'd paid them in the first place for the site design you'd think I was taking the piss  <_<

455127[/snapback]

Andy, what host is it you're with? and who you planning on moving it to? What kind of package are you getting for the money you've paid? The thing is in the internet industry, you got what you pay for...

Andy, what host is it you're with? and who you planning on moving it to? What kind of package are you getting for the money you've paid? The thing is in the internet industry, you got what you pay for...

455191[/snapback]

To cut a long story short, when the site was commisioned we had a marketing director with a big budget who went to a "top" agency (her words not mine) and spent lost of money, expecting lots of traffic. It never came, the company has changed hands, the marketing director has gone (along with ANY budget) and the traffic is fairly insignificant. The annual hosting is up for renewal and given a choice of £1000 or £48 its a no-brainer. We're actually about to change the company name and move off in a new direction (or "diversify" if your into management-speak :lol: ) so this site will become secondary, but we want to keep it.

As this is work stuff I dont really want to name any names, just in case ;)

edited to add - your right about getting what you pay for, but there are also a lot of people out there who will try and rip you off because they think you dont know what your talking about <_<

Well, after a simple bit of negotiation they zipped up all the files and gave them to me :D

I havent had a chance to look at it properly, but when I first uploaded it I get this error :

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'members/includes/header.inc.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in ...

mean anything to anyone?? :blink:

I think that basically means your previous username was pear and all links to that will have to be updated to the username on the new server.

Or I'm being very presumptuous ;)

Pear stands for PHP Extension Application Repository and is a framework and distribution system for reusable PHP components ;)

So now you know !

Pear stands for PHP Extension Application Repository and is a framework and distribution system for reusable PHP components  ;)

So now you know !

457438[/snapback]

Cool.

So what does it mean if Im getting that error? Its not there? Can I do anything about it? :unsure:

Pear stands for PHP Extension Application Repository and is a framework and distribution system for reusable PHP components  ;)

So now you know !

457438[/snapback]

Show off :P

Cool.

So what does it mean if Im getting that error? Its not there? Can I do anything about it?  :unsure:

457479[/snapback]

Two possibilities;

It hasn't been installed - if not then you will need to ask your host to install it on their webserver. I doubt that this is the problem however as I think PEAR is installed pretty much as a standard on PHP webservers along with MYSQL.

Second possibility is that the path to pear or to PHP has changed which is more likely. Email your new host and ask if they have PEAR set-up.

I can give you a temp ftp account to our webserver if you want to try it out on our box where PEAR is definitely installed.

Two possibilities;

It hasn't been installed - if not then you will need to ask your host to install it on their webserver. I doubt that this is the problem however as I think PEAR is installed pretty much as a standard on PHP webservers along with MYSQL.

Second possibility is that the path to pear or to PHP has changed which is more likely. Email your new host and ask if they have PEAR set-up.

I can give you a temp ftp account to our webserver if you want to try it out on our box where PEAR is definitely installed.

457661[/snapback]

Thanks, div (again!) :D

I'll get in touch with the host, if not I might take you up on your offer ;)

I'll pm you if I need to, ok?

Archived