Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

My favourite is how you look at the advocaat era. Saw it on one of those huge who got an ebt things.

£72m spent to win 5 trophies.

Let that one sink in a while.

That sounds pretty extraordinary, until you consider that:

1. Many clubs in England, and no doubt elsewhere, have spend much more than that to win fewer trophies.
  2. The current Rangers have spend much more than that to win fewer trophies.

(Although the second point may not be comparing apples with apples, as it's total spend not just football wages, and the £72m might be the football wages alone. I guess.)

Which sort of comes back to my favourite topic in this area: it's all about the finances. So much going on with A/EGMs, legal suits, share offer planning, statements from all side. But it's really all about the finances, and that's what will determine if there's an end game any time soon, as well as the nature of it.

That sounds pretty extraordinary, until you consider that:

1. Many clubs in England, and no doubt elsewhere, have spend much more than that to win fewer trophies.
  2. The current Rangers have spend much more than that to win fewer trophies.

(Although the second point may not be comparing apples with apples, as it's total spend not just football wages, and the £72m might be the football wages alone. I guess.)

Which sort of comes back to my favourite topic in this area: it's all about the finances. So much going on with A/EGMs, legal suits, share offer planning, statements from all side. But it's really all about the finances, and that's what will determine if there's an end game any time soon, as well as the nature of it.

yep, it's all about the money - as usual.

Instead of Scottish football trying to copy the English model of spend-your-way-to-success (thanks for that Mr.Souness!!!), we should have been following the Scandinavian approach of focussing on native players and training them for success.

For decades good young rangers lads rotted in the reserves whilst the club's fans wet-dreamed over the likes of Gazza, Laudrup and Der Boer.

And, more recently, decent young celtic lads haven't been getting a look in thanks to the likes of Hooper, Wanyama and Graveson!

IMHO, celtic and rangers are responsible for the decline in Scotland's standing in World football.

yep, it's all about the money - as usual.

Instead of Scottish football trying to copy the English model of spend-your-way-to-success (thanks for that Mr.Souness!!!), we should have been following the Scandinavian approach of focussing on native players and training them for success.

For decades good young rangers lads rotted in the reserves whilst the club's fans wet-dreamed over the likes of Gazza, Laudrup and Der Boer.

And, more recently, decent young celtic lads haven't been getting a look in thanks to the likes of Hooper, Wanyama and Graveson!

IMHO, celtic and rangers are responsible for the decline in Scotland's standing in World football.

I am not sure blaming the old squrim for the complete decline- they were caught up in their own arms race, cheered on by various accolytes in the media. No one held a gun to the heads of the other clubs, but they swept along by it. What could you do though, as soon as you produced a good player who might have the audacity to score against the old squirm one week, the following week the phone calls were into the Daliy Old Firm to print some story that he was off to either side- or both and unsettle the lad. If he was ever signed it was puny sum and the lad would end up the Squirm Reserve squad.

I can see this happening all over again once the two of them are back together again. Hope not. But learning lessons from the past is not high in Scottish ftiba is it.

Y

I am not sure blaming the old squrim for the complete decline- they were caught up in their own arms race, cheered on by various accolytes in the media. No one held a gun to the heads of the other clubs, but they swept along by it. What could you do though, as soon as you produced a good player who might have the audacity to score against the old squirm one week, the following week the phone calls were into the Daliy Old Firm to print some story that he was off to either side- or both and unsettle the lad. If he was ever signed it was puny sum and the lad would end up the Squirm Reserve squad.

I can see this happening all over again once the two of them are back together again. Hope not. But learning lessons from the past is not high in Scottish ftiba is it.

Yes, rangers started throwing money about first, celtic followed, and then they were all at it (e.g. Istvan Kozma to Dunfermline or 600k and Robbie Winters by Aberdeen for ONE MILLION!!)

So, yes, we are all to blame in one way or another. But, as usual, this is yet another example of rangers being at the heart of something bad happening in scottish football....

And, as you say, *if* the rangers survive long enough to try their luck in the top flight then watch them and celtic both spend fortunes on over-paid foreigners trying to out do one another....

The "arms race" started with Rangers trying to compete with the EPL in the 90s after Sky pumped the cash into the league

Except for a few season under O'Neill, Celtic have never been that big a spenders or over spenders

Yes, rangers started throwing money about first, celtic followed, and then they were all at it (e.g. Istvan Kozma to Dunfermline or 600k and Robbie Winters by Aberdeen for ONE MILLION!!)

It was Paul Bernard that Aberdeen paid a million for no?

Edit: Winters deal is quoted as around £700k + Billy Dodds.

Edited by capt_oats

How are Harland and Wolff getting on with that big boat they're building? Must be ready for launch soon.