Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

Thanks TK, but the spelling without a 'u' isn't just acceptable ( and as you prove encouraged) in academic writing. It's absolutely acceptable in all forms of written English. As Kincardine will by now (I'd imagine) have discovered, any number of on-line dictionaries confirm that both forms are fine and interchangeable. Even my Chambers, published in London in 1972, says for the form 'baulk': "same as balk". Under 'balk', when we get past noun versions that refer to unploughed ridges and areas on snooker tables, we arrive at definitions of the verb which include " to pass over, to shirk, to decline, to avoid". Youngsy and Kincardine are quite simply wrong, much as Bennett was a little earlier in the thread when referring to Mark Daly. That none of them can admit it betrays a familiar absence of class.

Oh ffs, are you for real? This was a light hearted insignificant part of a post, you know to try and lighten things just a bit. However you really have taken this nonsense to the extreme. It's a football forum, not university challenge ffs.

Oh ffs, are you for real? This was a light hearted insignificant part of a post, you know to try and lighten things just a bit. However you really have taken this nonsense to the extreme. It's a football forum, not university challenge ffs.

You should redirect this post to The_Kincardine ,who likes to highlight every single error on anyones posts.

Is there another league in world football where fans of a second-tier team with severe financial problems would seriously argue that they're soon to be contenders for the top-tier title?

Rangers are struggling to get a half-decent line of credit, never mind compete for titles. Aberdeen or Dundee United are more credible title challengers in the next ten years, and neither of them is really that credible.

So Youngsy, when you say "Btw you spelt Baulk wrong (sic)" and I know that I didn't spell it wrongly, what do you suggest I do?

Just leave it and accept the charge because it was made on a football forum perhaps?

Or attempt to put you right?

If you're going to attempt to correct people, make sure that you're right, or you'll look stupid. If you can't accept that you were mistaken initially of course, you'll appear childish and classless too.

So Youngsy, when you say "Btw you spelt Baulk wrong (sic)" and I know that I didn't spell it wrongly, what do you suggest I do? Just leave it and accept the charge because it was made on a football forum perhaps? Or attempt to put you right? If you're going to attempt to correct people, make sure that you're right, or you'll look stupid. If you can't accept that you were mistaken initially of course, you'll appear childish and classless too.

Personally i'd have just said, " aye, very good, carry on".

Personally i'd have just said, " aye, very good, carry on".

Even if you knew you were right and that the two people who were trying to belittle you and the opinion you were expressing by highlighting an alleged error, were wrong?

Ok, but that's a bit weird.

Good to know however, that I can say what I like about you in future and expect no challenge.

I made no such claim. Your incorrect use of preserve, subtle as it is, did not escape me.

It clearly eludes you though.

In the event it still evades you, I made no such claim.

The use is not incorrect, although it does perhaps require a little licence.

You said that the form with a 'u' was used by the educated. Now, admittedly you didn't say it was used exclusively by them, but you certainly indicated that its use in this form might be regarded as a marker of education.

As I said, a little licence used here perhaps, but our beautiful language permits it.

By the way, I do know how tedious this is everyone. Accordingly, I offer my apologies.

However, when falsely I accused, I don't do walking away.

Defeating others in argument by providing evidence, equates in your mind to trolling?

How extraordinary.

"Defeating others in argument"

Some posters felt that Warburton could take Rangers to the premiership title, you felt differently. That is called having opinions, which obviously differ .....

You felt that by having a different opinion you defeated them....

"Defeating others in argument"

Some posters felt that Warburton could take Rangers to the premiership title, you felt differently. That is called having opinions, which obviously differ .....

You felt that by having a different opinion you defeated them....

On where Warburton can take Rangers, of course that's a question of opinion. Challenging the opinion of someone because I don't share it does not equate to not accepting it or that person's right to hold it. It's called discussion Bennett and it's pretty much the point of the forum.

I've no difficulty at all with Youngsy expressing his optimistic view on this, even if he prefaced it by saying "One thing's for sure...". He might be right on this, but I think he probably won't be, which is why I questioned it.

Obviously the areas in which posters have been defeated by evidence, the areas I was clearly referring to, would be to do with what Mark Daly said and to do with the spelling of 'balk'.

Just out of interest, assuming that Rangers are promoted back to the top flight next season. How many failed attempts at winning the title would you say is acceptable for Warbonnet to have before being moved on?

If he fails to come at least second in his first season back in the top flight would this be considered as failure and could he survive this?

Edit to Note: Warburton changed to Warbonnet in auto correct.

P.S. Before you Bears try to make this out that I'm a Celtic fan scared of Warburton, its not. Just interested to judge where your levels of expectation are.

Edited by DepecheBhoy

Defeated?

'Balk' is the US spelling preferred by bumpkins and Yanks. The British/English version is baulk.

Interchangeability and acceptance of use does not change that fact.

I accepted your right to use it. It is not the original and correct British version, you know that.

It's a perfectly correct British version, although perhaps not the original one.

I do know that.

• English readers need not baulk themselves here because of the late fall of agricultural rents in this country.
    The Impossibilities of Anarchism George Bernard Shaw

• He said he would even have spent as much, to baulk or injure Copperfield.'
    David Copperfield Charles Dickens

I prefer a wordsmith to some hack in the paper ...

So are you suggesting that those writing in The Guardian or FT are probably not educated?

Shakespeare used the form without a 'u' as well, remember. While I wouldn't use him as a benchmark for what's considered acceptable regarding grammar and spelling today, this fact also calls into question the notion that such a spelling can only be considered a modern Americanism.

So are you suggesting that those writing in The Guardian or FT are probably not educated?Shakespeare used the form without a 'u' as well, remember. While I wouldn't use him as a benchmark for what's considered acceptable regarding grammar and spelling today, this fact also calls into question the notion that such a spelling can only be considered a modern Americanism.

MT you are correct. No need to continue with this.

Kinky also appears to have run off with his tail between his legs. He will be back later with no mention of balk....

MT you are correct. No need to continue with this.

Kinky also appears to have run off with his tail between his legs. He will be back later with no mention of balk....

Yes, fair enough.

I'll take notice of your polite request that I shut up on this. I'll admit that I was even starting to bore myself.

Better that I concentrate on my team's bright start.

With Hibs, St Mirren and Falkirk faltering, we are emerging as Rangers' main rivals as we now enter the business end of the season.