Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

Wow! That sounds ominous.

I presume that HMRC want to prevent Whyte from having any chance of influencing the administration process.

I know little about the legal side of things. Can HMRC prevent Whyte from becoming a prefered bidder for rangers after all the asset-stripping has been done?

HM Revenue and Customs has lodged an application to put Rangers into administration.

On Tuesday HMRC lodged the order with the Court of Session in Edinburgh calling for the court to appoint an administrator.

The Court of Session confirmed to STV that the application is scheduled to be heard before a judge from midday on Tuesday. HMRC is due to make a statement on the steps of the court afterwards.

The move comes after the Ibrox club had lodged its own notice of intent to appoint an administrator on Monday. The court will now have to decide whether the administrator should be appointed by Rangers or the tax authorities - with important implications for the future of the club.

Rangers are currently awaiting the result of a crucial tax case with HMRC, which owner Craig Whyte has confirmed could leave the club owing up to £75m.

Bloody British government .

Wow! That sounds ominous.

I presume that HMRC want to prevent Whyte from having any chance of influencing the administration process.

I know little about the legal side of things. Can HMRC prevent Whyte from becoming a prefered bidder for rangers after all the asset-stripping has been done?

I think that it makes them the preferred creditor as opposed to Mr Whyte.

Very interesting if true. I suppose as much as Whyte has known all along that he would take them into Admin, HMRC must have seen that coming also - so I would imagine that there would be some planning around it already. Despite being a Motherwell fan, I'm not an Admin expert and my question is - is this move by HMRC to stop Craig Whyte appointing a "tame" administrator in a bid to retain control over what happens going forward?

HM Revenue and Customs has lodged an application to put Rangers into administration.

On Tuesday HMRC lodged the order with the Court of Session in Edinburgh calling for the court to appoint an administrator.

The Court of Session confirmed to STV that the application is scheduled to be heard before a judge from midday on Tuesday. HMRC is due to make a statement on the steps of the court afterwards.

The move comes after the Ibrox club had lodged its own notice of intent to appoint an administrator on Monday. The court will now have to decide whether the administrator should be appointed by Rangers or the tax authorities - with important implications for the future of the club.

Rangers are currently awaiting the result of a crucial tax case with HMRC, which owner Craig Whyte has confirmed could leave the club owing up to £75m.

If they're going down this road, apart from ensuring their preferred creditor status, it could also mean they don't trust Rangers to be open and honest in their dealings with them whilst in admin, and so want to appoint their own administrator to ensure there's no sleekit siphoning off of funds and assets aside for any new club arising from the ashes of the old, especially with Whyte's history of going through registered limited liability companies the way most people go through toilet paper.

If they're going down this road, apart from ensuring their preferred creditor status, it could also mean they don't trust Rangers to be open and honest in their dealings with them whilst in admin, and so want to appoint their own administrator to ensure there's no sleekit siphoning off of funds and assets aside for any new club arising from the ashes of the old, especially with Whyte's history of going through registered limited liability companies the way most people go through toilet paper.

Was about to ask if this means HMRC can choose the administrators rather than Whyte - the papers seemed to suggest he already had some guy lined up for it that he knows well.

Most amusing Her Majesty is causing the people so many problems.

No. Why buy some minnow team down in England, and not say some Highland League outfit (e.g. Clachnacuddin have been in administration for years). People look at this English club and concoct all manner of conspiracy theories around it, but all are fanciful, the "gateway to EPL" one particularly.

Anyway, as I've posted on another thread, Andrew Smith in today's Scotsman says he understands that if Rangers FC plc or whatever is liquidated, the "course of action" is likely to be:

[1] SPL Board permits transfer of league share to a different company

(i.e. Leeds Utd scenario, not Airdrieonians scenario)

[2] Rangers fined "around" 15pts per season, for 3 seasons, "as punishment and deterrent"

[3] Rangers unable to qualify for Europe for 3 seasons

That looks pretty plausible.

Leeds were never liquidated though were they, they always stayed in existence.