Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

So why bother to even mention it?

McConville likes to pass himself off as an upstanding legal eagle, people reading his posts or blogs deserve to know what his characters like.

Also him and Muirhead, thats a match made in heaven.

Nothing at all to do with Rangers Rico.

Rico. Nice term for a former Rangers man to use.

Rackateer Influenced and Corrupt Orginisations Act.

Very apt :D

McConville likes to pass himself off as an upstanding legal eagle, people reading his posts or blogs deserve to know what his characters like.

Also him and Muirhead, thats a match made in heaven.

ah, like Sevco trying to pass themselves off as rangers?

ah, like Sevco trying to pass themselves off as rangers?

Hi Pablo, young linkin fighter was telling everyone that you'd sadly passed away last night.

Glad to see you're alive and kicking.

Hi Pablo, young linkin fighter was telling everyone that you'd sadly passed away last night.

Glad to see you're alive and kicking.

thanks man, always remember i love you.

just hate your team.

x

Ten-year ban for solicitor who failed to pass on Scottish miners' compensation

By NEIL POORAN

Published on Sunday 10 June 2012 00:00

A SOLICITOR who failed to pass on tens of thousands of pounds to the families of former miners in Scotland has been barred from the profession for a decade.

Paul McConville admitted 40 cases of professional misconduct which deprived grieving relatives of substantial compensation awards.

The 45-year-old lawyer from Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, sought out cases involving Scottish coal-mine workers who had been injured or had died as a result of their work. But he bungled their handling, failing to claim and pass on compensation money despite offers being made and ignoring clients' desperate pleas for information.

One relative represented by McConville has revealed she has not seen a penny of a £9,000 compensation offer made through him in 2009.

The Scottish Solicitors' Discipline Tribunal (SSDT) decided this month at a hearing in Edinburgh that McConville had brought the profession into disrepute and was told he would not be allowed to work as a solicitor again until 2022 at the earliest, although he will be able to work as a legal assistant. Announcing the decision, SSDT chairwoman Dorothy Boyd said: "The tribunal finds you guilty of fundamental misconduct."

McConville was a partner at the Glasgow-based McConville O'Neill in June 2001 until the company ceased trading in 2010. At the time, a large number of cases involving miners were being pursued against the government's Coal Liabilities Unit.

Many of these cases were taken up by lawyers acting for the National Union of Mineworkers. But depending on how active the union branch was, firms like McConville O'Neill stepped in.

McConville admitted professional misconduct, involving 40 cases of ignoring the Law Society as well as clients and their MPs.

His former partner, Ciaran O'Neill, also appeared before the SSDT on 1 June. O'Neill faced a charge of "Inadequate Professional Service" related to the fact he was a partner and responsible for the conduct of the firm. Both lawyers were ordered to pay compensation of £9,000 to the Law Society of Scotland.

Valerie Johnston, for the Law Society, said: "Where a solicitor does not respond, it adversely affects the perception of the whole legal profession. Clients were not being dealt with in an appropriate way by the firm McConville O'Neill."

James McCann, representing McConville, claimed his actions were caused by depression. He said stress after a fine was levied on his company "led to an unacceptable pattern of dealing with things".

McConville is now working voluntarily for the Citizens' Advice Bureau in Hamilton, said McCann.

Former client Mary Hunter said McConville was supposed to process a £500 compensation claim, but he refused to communicate with her. Her miner father George, who served in the Black Watch, died in 1965 of bronchitis.

"I'm over the moon to hear he won't be able to practise," she said. "No lawyer should do that, you would expect better of them."

She claimed that at one point McConville faked a fire alarm in his office when she spoke to him over the phone.

Another client, Helen Baxter, 81, said McConville had failed to progress a £9,000 claim of compensation relating to her father-in-law Henry who died in 1981 of mining-related lung problems.

She said: "I've not received anything yet. I got told when I phoned that they had moved premises. He should've been locked up."

Fife Labour MP Lindsay Roy, who took up the cases, said: "I am delighted action has been taken to discipline Mr McConville. However, every effort must be made to ensure justice is done for the many clients who had faith in him to secure compensation awards.''

How does that change the overall idea behind the story?

Wish i was but the tickets sold out before i knew they were on sale. Thought about going and trying to pick one up but i'll just watch it on BBC teuchter.

Hopefully i'm quicker off the mark in future.

That's a scunner. Games on the telly but the commentary isn't even in the Queens English.

Ten-year ban for solicitor who failed to pass on Scottish miners' compensation.......

Fife Labour MP Lindsay Roy, who took up the cases, said: "I am delighted action has been taken to discipline Mr McConville. However, every effort must be made to ensure justice is done for the many clients who had faith in him to secure compensation awards.''

This McConville character sounds like a bit of a rat.

That's a scunner. Games on the telly but the commentary isn't even in the Queens English.

Switch on the sub titles ya amadanbiggrin.gifwink.gif should come up but depends, some games it does some it doesn't. Or you could make your own up, after a few sherberts.

I've also noticed Off The Ball isn't on their website I've e-mailed the bbc to ask when it'll be on but maybe they've decided the insane haverings of Cameron were too embarassing too put uprolleyes.gif

Edited by Heidthebaw

Got the drinks in :) Don't mind saying that this game can't come soon enough for me.

I know you're enjoying noising everybody on here up a bit - can't say I blame you really, your boys have taken a helluva beating of late.

But a serious question.

I've noticed a definite split in the TFKAR ranks in recent times - on the one hand there's the die hard FTP knuckledraggers, showing all the arrogance and triumphalism of old, letting everyone know how much they're going to enjoy getting it right up every one of their 'enemies'

On the other hand, some are taking the line of 'let's enjoy the journey through the divisions and make some new friends along the way'. I've even noticed it on RM - there was a thread today by some lunatic imploring everyone to belt out TBB for the entire 90 minutes of the Brechin game. He was shouted down pretty quickly by the more level headed.

Putting aside the banter on here, most of us will know decent fans of your team (although some will be reluctant to admit it). I've always thought the less bigoted fans needed to stand-up and be a bit more vocal in decrying the more anti-social element.

Do you think this is more likely to happen now?.