Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

Firstly I doubt a mechanism exists to "not recognise the jurisdiction of the Court of Arbitration in Sport and refer the whole case to FIFA" (and what is "to FIFA": the world congress of 216 members?!?!). It's not Star Wars.

Secondly... if SFA really didn't have transfer embargos permitted under their rules, and really didn't sufficiently permit appeals to CAS, then there's no certainty FIFA would wholly side with them IMO.

I was meaning the Court of Session not CAS mate, sorry for any confusion, I was under the impression that the Court of Session could not effectively impose their ruling against the SFA?

As I said, they might struggle to justify it, even if they did have the balls. If it's correct that it's been sent back to the appeals panel since they cannot uphold the transfer embargo part... then they can give them 'lesser' punishments (Scottish Cup etc.) or the 'bigger' punishment (expulsion). But the panels, in their previous judgements, have already said that expulsion was too harsh?

Explusion too harsh but everything else too lenient. It works both ways. SFA have to either go too-harsh or too-lenient. Who's to say one is wrong and the other right? They're both wrong, but SFA have to do one of them.

I'm no expert (Ad Lib?) but I understand the principle of Roman law in Scots civil proceedings. We will know more once Lord Glennie publishes his judgement in several week's time, but in Scotland, the judge has a role in considering the relative merits of each argument and coming to a decision based (broadly) on what he has heard.

To me, I'd have expected Lord Carloway, on the SFA appeal panel, to have had this in mind. He's just received a bitch slap from Lord Glennie in that Glennie has decide that, in the absence of a specifically tough pre determined sanction, the SFA were wrong to opt for a halfway house.

I'm a bit surprised since I had thought that he would have respected the rights of an Association to runs its affairs within its own rules as it saw fit.

The SFA could appeal, but of course they won't because of their own FIFA rules that forbid taking footballing matters to court. Ho hum.

I think the 'within its own rules' was the sticky bit.

I'm no expert (Ad Lib?) but I understand the principle of Roman law in Scots civil proceedings. We will know more once Lord Glennie publishes his judgement in several week's time, but in Scotland, the judge has a role in considering the relative merits of each argument and coming to a decision based (broadly) on what he has heard.

To me, I'd have expected Lord Carloway, on the SFA appeal panel, to have had this in mind. He's just received a bitch slap from Lord Glennie in that Glennie has decide that, in the absence of a specifically tough pre determined sanction, the SFA were wrong to opt for a halfway house.

I'm a bit surprised since I had thought that he would have respected the rights of an Association to runs its affairs within its own rules as it saw fit.

The SFA could appeal, but of course they won't because of their own FIFA rules that forbid taking footballing matters to court. Ho hum.

There would be no fat legal fees involved if they did that.

havent read anyone saying the transfer embargo was actually overturned by this , only that this judge didnt think the sfa could issue one and then sent it back for appeal

am i correct?

thats the point, the embargo was never in their rules, they effectively made up that punishment

FIFA will likely stay out of this and privately scold the SFA for fucking this up,

havent read anyone saying the transfer embargo was actually overturned by this , only that this judge didnt think the sfa could issue one and then sent it back for appeal

am i correct?

Don't believe so - the transfer ban was deemed outwith the SFA's identified options and sent back to have them consider one of the punishments more explicitly open to them.

am i correct?

It is effectively overturned.

If the SFA decide to reimpose one, it just comes back to the CoS and we all pass Go and start again.

The SFA have screwed this one up. They don't want to impose a harsher penalty because that will p!ss of the SPL and other chairmen who want the pay-day that Rangers represent. On the other hand, a lighter penalty is just admitting that they screwed up.

Apologies if this has been covered but why did Rangers not take this to the CAS as they should?

Was it a case they were just plain thick or did the SFA not make them aware of this.

I would imagine if FIFA are watching then Rangers are screwed and the ruling is worthless.

Apologies if this has been covered but why did Rangers not take this to the CAS as they should?

Was it a case they were just plain thick or did the SFA not make them aware of this.

I would imagine if FIFA are watching then Rangers are screwed and the ruling is worthless.

Apparently it wasnt an option in the SFA's rule book huh.gif

It appears SFA screwed up. Their rules do not provide a route to CAS, but siggested the Appeals Tribunal decision was final and binding. Under such circumstances you could argue that Ranjurs had no option but to go to the Court of Session.