Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

Accountancy Age? So that's The Diddies taking English lessons from a bunch of bean counters whose only merit was sticking in at their times tables at school.

Still, it's consonant with their plastic pals taking legal lessons from a failed social worker.

Can you expand on what you mean by, "taking English lessons"? You seem to be playing the man, rather than the ball. And failing miserably at doing that.

Is there any reason you have for denigrating an award winning publication, with nearly 50 years of experience behind it, and accountants, in general?

For someone who I look upon as probably the only educated and open minded Rangers fan, on here. This post of yours is of poor quality and let's you down. You're better than that!

SPL clubs fear they will be hurt financially themselves if Rangers stripped of titles

As the turf war between Mike Ashley and Rangers widened to include a court challenge by the Sports Direct billionaire to the Scottish Football Association, the possibility of the Ibrox club being stripped of titles has fuelled concern among several clubs, who fear financial repercussions.

The status of the five Scottish championships, four Scottish Cup wins and six Scottish League Cup successes recorded by Rangers between 2001 and 2011 has been called into question since the decision by the Court of Session in Edinburgh to uphold HMRC’s appeal against the rulings of two previous tribunals that EBT (Employee Benefit Trust) schemes for players were administered improperly.

Calls for the annulment of the titles won by Rangers during the period when EBTs were used as a tax avoidance scheme at Ibrox were fuelled by the observation of one of the three Court of Session judges, Lord Drummond Young that, had the trusts not existed, some players “might well have taken their services elsewhere”.

Both the Scottish Professional Football League and the SFA have referred the matter to their lawyers for scrutiny but last night one chairman, who asked not to be identified, told Telegraph Sport: “There is a strong feeling amongst clubs that this has to be handled extremely carefully because of the possible consequences.

“Suppose for the sake of argument Rangers are stripped of all the honours they won during the time they operated EBTs. Do we award those honours to the runners-up – and trigger the bonuses that would have been paid to the players who were on their books then if they had actually won the trophies?

“Celtic might be able to afford that but nobody else could. The alternative would be to withhold all of those trophies and devalue all our domestic tournaments at a time when we’ve had to go cap in hand to find sponsors.”

Another chairman, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said: “I certainly don’t fly any flag for Rangers and my view is that the EBT scheme was questionable and maybe even reckless from the start but they were given expert advice and they acted on it and it has taken the taxman three tries to get a favourable result.

“Rangers have paid the price for that but so has everyone else in Scottish football since the oldco went under. Right now I would say that matters are moving sideways and we still don’t know if the taxman has actually won.

“Don’t forget that the SPL clubs got solidarity payments from Uefa because Rangers were in the group stages of the Champions League as Scottish champions. If we take titles away from Rangers and Uefa demand their money back, who would be able to pay it?”

The prospect of the controversy being resolved one way or the other in the foreseeable future now depends on whether or not there will be yet another appeal in what is colloquially known as the Big Tax Case. The deadline for an appeal to the Supreme Court by Rangers’ liquidators, BDO, or Sir David Murray, who approved the use of EBTs when he owned the club, falls three weeks from now.

Ashley, meanwhile, has lodged a legal challenge to the SFA’s decision to approve Rangers’ chairman and principal shareholder, Dave King, as a fit and proper person to hold the position. King dislodged the previous Ashley-backed boardroom regime in March but had to wait until May for the SFA to authorise his chairmanship.

The judicial review of the SFA’s approval of King was originally docketed for Dec 11, but has been rescheduled for Feb 4.

The SFA refused to comment.

Load a pish reason for letting cheats keep their titles #5

Load a pish reason for letting cheats keep their titles #5

That's worthy of winning the Shitty journalism thread!

Its obviously made up pish but its been made up by an absolute thick roaster of a c'nt.

The trophies wouldn't be retrospectively awarded and even if they were you'd need to be Ally McCoist levels of greed to expect a win bonus for it - and absolutely no chairmen are worried about it!! What an utterly laughable suggestion.

This is harking back to the bullying tactics we saw during the league entry votes.I'll wager that despite their absolute delusion that the press is against them even "Rangers" fans will see that article for what it is.

Edited by Ned Nederlander

An awful lot of chairmen (well, two anyway) talking on condition of anonymity. Either they're scared of the reaction of their own fans or... shock, could they be Roddy's imaginary friends?

The comments following the 'article' are pretty much spot on. How any P&Ds in amongst that lot?

[ETA common sense].

Edited by The DA

I was trying to think earlier of another example of an athlete or team who were proven to have cheated, but then somehow retained a large measure of support from the sporting authorities and the press, to the point where many public figures were willing to defend the perpetrators against the logical consequences of their actions.

I couldn't think of a comparison, but I imagine that you'd have to go to Russia or China to find one.

Edit: Got one - the Uruguayan authorities and lots of the national side's fans convinced themselves that Luis Suarez was unfairly treated for biting that Italian defender. Even then, the rest of the world just laughed at them and the authorities got on with it as expected.

Edited by flyingrodent

Wait. All I said was:

Accountancy Age? So that's The Diddies taking English lessons from a bunch of bean counters whose only merit was sticking in at their times tables at school.

Still, it's consonant with their plastic pals taking legal lessons from a failed social worker.

People may disagree with it but it's neither snobbish nor rude. Please don't say you take issue with it.

I am a bean counter and I can tell you I don't rely on my times tables, we have excel :thumsup2