Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

Of course if the SPFL wish to avoid all the legal obstacles they could always say "Rangers have fines outstanding which they have no intentions to pay. We shall revisit the judgement and find a punishment which is suitable for all parties"

What were the alternate punishments again?

Title stripping?

League expulsion?

Expulsion till they start behaving themselves would be nice

To me that merely states that EBT's are not an illegal concept which they are not.

It does not state that there is no application of EBT's that is illegal, which, given Rangers were found guilty of unlawful application of EBT's last week, seem fairly obvious.

Totally. Cars aren't illegal but driving them the wrong way down the motorway in the dark with the doors open and lights off is. Yeah but cars aren't illegal.

Richard Wilson made a fucking idiot of himself yesterday on Sportsound on this very point.

"Sandy Bryson, Head of Registrations at the Scottish FA, gives evidence that registrations remain unless revoked and are not automatically invalid due to rule breaches"

They don't need to be automatically invalidated. You can do it manually by writing "bullshit" next to the bit where it says how much they are paid, with a pen.

To me that merely states that EBT's are not an illegal concept which they are not.

It does not state that there is no application of EBT's that is illegal, which, given Rangers were found guilty of unlawful application of EBT's last week, seem fairly obvious.

Just another example of the ill informed hysteria surrounding this. As soon as the verdict was announced people immediately jumped the gun and the bandwagons went into overdrive.

"Report states it is not a breach of SPL rules to minimise tax liability and it accepts Tax tribunal ruling that EBTs are lawful."

"We do not therefore propose to consider those sanctions which are of a sporting nature."

The first quote states that judgement was based on the fact that the tax tribunal found EBTs to be lawful. The way Rangers used EBTs may, or may not, have been legal but it was not done in a lawful manner. Subtle difference I know but it makes the difference.

The second point shows there were alternatives.

Benny. Please. It's you who makes up shit.

Edited by stonedsailor

In fairness, there is no black and white answer here, there is a lot of ambiguity around the whole situation and anyone speaking as if they know 100% the right answer whether its with regards to legality of the EBT's, how Rangers applied them, the direct correlation to sporting success etc is just going to make themselves look silly.

HOWEVER, and this is heavily caveated, and I stated earlier in the thread that I have no interest in title stripping really, if they really were guilty of breaking the law in order to sign players then it has to at least be looked at, it has to. The argument of 'did they really get a sporting advantage because x may or may not have signed etc' is totally moot. If the verdict is that they signed players using unlawful means then it simply has to be looked at.

I maintain however that there is no way titles will be stripped, it opens far too big a can of worms for something that in my own eyes means relatively little.

As ridiculous as Rangers statement was yesterday (and it was fucking hilarious :lol: ), there was a sentiment in there that I agreed with and that is that we should be looking forward and trying to improve scottish football. I sense however that Rangers vision of a better Scottish football is slightly different to mine however....

Rangers have outstanding fines.... Blah blah blah

Not according to the distinguished William Nimmo Smith

Rangers were fined. The fine is outstanding. The SPFL are well within their rights to seek an alternate punishment.

and little snipes like this is exactly why it is pointless for any Rangers fan to come on here and try and give a dissenting opinion, you and the other usual suspects are simply not interested in hearing anything that does not subscribe to your point of view.

To be fair Benny was playing the "you are no expert" card in order to snipe away any discussion which does not fit his agenda so that quip about Benny's expertise was deserved.

Your little tantrum in defense of your mate is contemptible.

It HMRC had a rigorous audit process in place, I wonder how much it would recover down the years from those clubs who knocked a few hundred maybe even a few thousand off the official gate to squirrel funds away from the tax man.

It must be a tidy sum overall !?

It's not really cheating though is it, tax liability avoidance!? and there's no real competitive advantage to be gained over a rival club who operates an open book eh?

Difficult to prove now perhaps, but there's no doubt it was a common practice that existed up and down the country.

Cue calls of whataboutary but it doesn't make it right. Let the blood letting continue until the appeal is announced.

The number of tax experts on here is incredible btw, it must be the biggest professional group represented on P&B by far.

It HMRC had a rigorous audit process in place, I wonder how much it would recover down the years from those clubs who knocked a few hundred maybe even a few thousand off the official gate to squirrel funds away from the tax man.

It's not really cheating though is it, tax liability avoidance!? and there's no real competitive advantage to be gained over a rival club who operates an open book eh?

Difficult to prove now perhaps, but there's no doubt it was a common practice that existed up and down the country.

Cue calls of whataboutary but it doesn't make it right. Let the blood letting continue until the appeal is announced.

The number of tax experts on here is incredible btw, it must be the biggest professional group represented on P&B by far.

Not taking it well are you?

Of course this is whataboutery, show me where other clubs have been found guilty of breaking the law.

Do you feel like living in a society where we punish everyone on the basis of probability that somewhere down the line you must have broken a law at some point?

And if a club was found guilty of misrepresenting attendances to fudge tax liabilities that is very much tax evasion and cheating, and if found guilty should be punished.

Not taking it well are you?

Nah I'm honestly sick to the back teeth of it, just more and more shite rolling downhill !

A fair point with regards to the practice of tax evasion though no? Reckon they'd be a few ducked heads out there.

Nah I'm honestly sick to the back teeth of it, just more and more shite rolling downhill !

A fair point with regards to the practice of tax evasion though no? Reckon they'd be a few ducked heads out there.

Would it upset you to know that I pay absolutely no income tax come the end of the year?

I am all for tax avoidance. Using unlawful methods to gain an unfair sporting advantage are contemptible and should be punished in a manner relative to the offence.

Would it upset you to know that I pay absolutely no income tax come the end of the year?

I am all for tax avoidance. Using unlawful methods to gain an unfair sporting advantage are contemptible and should be punished in a manner relative to the offence.

Sure that the courts will have some time proving that, if it indeed comes to that. And only after the Club has appealed on this most recent decision (Nov 4th).

Don't worry, I'm sure there's enough hysteria on here to keep the momentum going in the meantime. Say 4-5 years??

(And no your personal tax situation is of no concern or interest to me whatsoever)

Sure that the courts will have some time proving that, if it indeed comes to that. And only after the Club has appealed on this most recent decision (Nov 4th).

Can you clarify what you mean by the Club appealing the most recent decision.

Surely it's BDO or Murray, who are the only ones who can appeal?