Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

St Johnstone fan Kyle has texted GERS to 80295 with a bit of positivity: I actually agree with AlexxB the Pars fan. For the record also, I'm quite jealous of the adventure the 'Rangers' fans are about to embark on - they'll get to visit venues in the league that even yo-yo teams like ourselves haven't been near. The gloryhunters won't enjoy it much, but the true Gers fans will, I'm sure.

I can only take it Kyle's under 20. :lol:

Scotland has a population of 5.2M, where as the UK as a whole has 58.8M. That's 8.8% or roughly 1/11th.

Right, but the difference is still marginal, and based on a deeply flawed premise. Under this hypothetically perfect model we'd have ten professional teams getting crowds of 5000 each, evenly smeared around the country, with another sixty part-time teams playing to crowds of between 10 and 30.

The best thing about a pyramid is that it would theoretically rebalance the senior teams a bit. Ayrshire is considerably under-represented by senior sides right now, for instance. There's only one of them.

1. Another contender for tomorrow's back page from Graeme Soutar: Picture of Hampden - "Circus Rolls Back Into Town!" #bbcsportsound

That's why Ally was there. He's never tried a roll and circus.

I thought it was kebeb shops he & wee Durranty frequented when out on the lash? :lol:

I'm in favour of looking at league restructuring and the removal of teams that are a drain on the rest of Scottish football and believe that a sensible approach would be to trial it out gradually. In particular, there are way too many teams playing in the Glasgow area at present and it would therefore make perfect sense just to choose a particular team in that area to be shut down. I'm not sure if there are any teams in that area that are, for example, stuck in the bottom division, are financially struggling and, if such a thing is possible, have never ever won a single trophy (or even match!) in the whole of their history, but that would seem to be to be a very good candidate...

I will second that! laugh.gif

Right, but the difference is still marginal, and based on a deeply flawed premise. Under this hypothetically perfect model we'd have ten professional teams getting crowds of 5000 each, evenly smeared around the country, with another sixty part-time teams playing to crowds of between 10 and 30.

The best thing about a pyramid is that it would theoretically rebalance the senior teams a bit. Ayrshire is considerably under-represented by senior sides right now, for instance. There's only one of them.

South Renfrewshire having two? ;):lol:

By the logic of the 'too many teams brigade', the clubs that go bust should be left to expire in a corner and the leagues should not re-admit them. I wonder how that would sit?

In 30 years we'd have two divisions of well-run small town sides with average crowd of 500 that can balance their books. Good or bad?

The subtext of 'too many teams', that greedy, grasping clubs like Elgin, Montrose and Annan are starving poor mites like Rangers and Celtic of vital income, is a fallacy.

Quite.

I wouldn't say we have too many teams but I would say we have too big a professional league set up in that I'd like to see two divisions of 16teams (although more likely to be 14teams) but with a regional pyramid for ALL Clubs to reach the top.

Yes... the irony is that you'd likely see 'continuation clubs' in the AFC Wimbledon/FC Utd of Manchester vein started-up, while (taking the Fife United as an example) if it was playing in Dunfermline then you might struggle to replace those turned-off through the demise of the Pars with those from Kirkcaldy/Cowdenbeath/Methil.

I'd struggle to make it to Dunfermline if our clubs were ever merged (which they shouldn't be). Fife's public transport links are utterly horrific compared to the rest of Scotland. From where I stay I'd either have to take the bus for an hour and a half, or catch two trains for Dunfermline. Similarly for Cowdenbeath via train. Methil isn't even catered for by the trains. Merging any club in Scotland at the moment would be a poor decision, all our clubs have history (bar one, NewCo cool.gif) and are distinguishable.

Aye, there's distinctly Scottish issues - in terms of population spread, tradition, crowds, quirky history of Senior/Junior football, prevalence of OF support in all towns etc - which defines how many clubs are full-time, how many come from certain areas, etc. We can't just divide England by 10.

Certainly a pyramid system would help inject the opportunity for equity.

For example there are 2 teams from Dundee but only 1 from Aberdeen and 2 from Edinburgh. There's no team from the Borders. Etc.