Upcoming Film Releases

11thHour

Just seen James Cameron saying that Avatar 2 needs to be in the Top 5 grossing films of all time for it to break even.  😆

Have to admit that I was one of those to be roped into seeing the first one, but that was simply because of the (underwhelming) 3D specs thing, nothing else.  Other than being able to say that it featured blue things in a jungle, I can't tell you much about it other than it was shite.  May as well have been 'Jungle Smurfs'.

Seriously: what's going to make folk who watched the first one go back?  Do they really think folk went for the story, or thought that the gimmicky 3D was decent?

On 21/09/2022 at 19:47, UpInTheAyr said:

Massive Hellraiser fan so looking forward to this. Director has a good track record so can't see this being a dud.

Seen it yet?  I thought it was a bit meh.

Avatar 2 opening to stellar reviews and record box office receipts is going to make my head explode.

Folk complain a lot about superhero films making so much money, but it's horrifying that Titanic and Avatar are two of the biggest films of all time.

Edit: the Hellraiser reboot was indeed a bit meh.

Edited by BFTD

From a piece in Variety: “Happy to say ‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ is phenomenal,” wrote Fandango’s Erik Davis. “Bigger, better & more emotional than ‘Avatar,’ the film is visually breathtaking, visceral and incredibly engrossing. The story, the spectacle, the spirituality, the beauty – this is moviemaking & storytelling at its absolute finest.”

I thought Avatar: Dances With Smurfs was fine, but running at the best part of 200 minutes, I think I'll pass on the sequel, thanks.

Saw an electronic billboard displaying an Avatar 2 poster today with 'ONE WEEK TO GO!' plastered across the top.

They haven't even pulled that shit with films that people were looking forward to seeing. Nobody, nobody, nobody is excited for an Avatar sequel, and no amount of pretending otherwise is going to make it so.

I'm at the stage now that, if it does turn out to break box office records, you could probably convince me it's some kind of psyop to see if the public will buy that a film nobody went to see was, like, totally popular you guys.

Anyone genuinely excited for the latest in the Hollywood Navel Gazing genre, Babylon?

Seen so many adverts for it over the past few months, and I am still not interested in seeing Margot Robbie fight a fucking snake.

On 07/12/2022 at 13:28, Hedgecutter said:

Just seen James Cameron saying that Avatar 2 needs to be in the Top 5 grossing films of all time for it to break even.  😆

Have to admit that I was one of those to be roped into seeing the first one, but that was simply because of the (underwhelming) 3D specs thing, nothing else.  Other than being able to say that it featured blue things in a jungle, I can't tell you much about it other than it was shite.  May as well have been 'Jungle Smurfs'.

Seriously: what's going to make folk who watched the first one go back?  Do they really think folk went for the story, or thought that the gimmicky 3D was decent?

It's opening in China so top 5 is very realistic, they went mad for the first one.

Wonder if that is just for the second one considering he shot, two and three I think, and maybe some of four, back to back. If not that's mind boggling amounts of money he's spent.

Never underestimate Jim.

On 07/12/2022 at 17:19, MSU said:

but running at the best part of 200 minutes, I think I'll pass on the sequel, thanks.

What?!  I get a sore arse from a cinema seat after around 120 mins, so no chance am I paying for over an hour of discomfort, regardless of the content.

On 07/12/2022 at 13:28, Hedgecutter said:

Walked out after 40 minutes last night, maybe the 3d doesn't work so well when you've been drinking all day or I had dodgy glasses, but it looked shite. And the dialogue was fucking awful, could have been a South Park style pishtake.

• 2 months later...
On 11/12/2022 at 22:59, Derry Alli said:

20221211_155518.thumb.jpg.80235c38e579868248e486f7de07ebdf.jpg

Cannot fucking wait.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Joker was a masterpiece, it wasn't a superhero/villain movie, Batman movie, or even a DC movie...just an insight into a fucked up mind that happened to be set in Gotham and it stood on it's own as a character piece with an ending that didn't leave anything left to be answered. It worked so brilliant as it stood on its own away from what feels like 30 different Batman Universe iterations since the early 2000s. It didn't feel at all like a movie that was setting up as a franchise.

Pulling a sequel on it and throwing Lady Gaga in there as Harley Quinn sort of dampens the impact of the first for me.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I am so looking forward to Oppenheimer. Think I may need to go see it on my own though, no one else in the family seems interested in a movie set in the 1940s about a nuclear bomb for some reason.  It's Christopher Nolan you fuckers. Who, they said.

I give up.

I am giving serious consideration to doing the Barbenheimer double bill