Upcoming Film Releases

11thHour

• 1 month later...
On 22/01/2020 at 11:24, jacobsladder said:

Looking forward to :

Armando Iannucci's version of David Copperfield

Thought it was shit tbh, chance for well known actors to play 2 dimensional "eccentrics", more like a sketch show than a film with an engaging narrative.

On a more positive note I've just discovered Curzon Home Cinema on Amazon, some cracking films available. Found it accidentally trying to find where First Love is showing, a recently released seemingly lunatic ultra violent Yakuza tale by Takashi Miike. Bargain at £4.99 considering it only came out in the Cinemas a couple of weeks ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Do we have a "just announced" thread? This is bit too far ahead to be called "upcoming", but...

Edgar Wright is going to be directing a new version of Stephen King's The Running Man. It'll be a more faithful adaption of the original story; the 80s adaption starring Arnold Schwarzenegger bore very little relation to the source material. Very pleased by this, as I read the book before seeing the film and was very disappointed; it's a story that could be made into a terrific film (not that the Arnie film wasn't fun in its own way).

Be interesting to see what they come up with for the end, though, as they absolutely, categorically, 100% will not be using the ending of the book. Guaranteed.

• 3 months later...
On 18/09/2020 at 18:02, welshbairn said:

Watched the first two Kingsman films the last 2 nights. First one was superb imo, second a bit meh. Prequel due out in February, but might be streamed earlier as it was finished last year I think.

Seems interesting... Can't wait to watch this :D

On 21/02/2021 at 02:26, BFTD said:

Edgar Wright is going to be directing a new version of Stephen King's The Running Man. It'll be a more faithful adaption of the original story; the 80s adaption starring Arnold Schwarzenegger bore very little relation to the source material. Very pleased by this, as I read the book before seeing the film and was very disappointed; it's a story that could be made into a terrific film (not that the Arnie film wasn't fun in its own way).

Speaking of whom

• 2 weeks later...

@welshbairn - not the prestige tv series we were hoping for but new Master and Commander in the works, only Patrick Ness confirmed as writing at the moment so not much further on than the other rumours over the years.

My one prediction is they decide to make like Bonden or Killick be played by a south Asian actor and the culture warriors lose their minds

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/08/2021 at 15:38, UpInTheAyr said:

The more that comes about about Dune the more hyped I am to see it. If any source material deserves a worthy adaptation it's this

Been looking forward to that one myself. I love the novel (read it again last year for the first time in about 40 years) and I am trusting they did a much better job on this one that the 80s adaptation.

• 2 weeks later...
The more that comes about about Dune the more hyped I am to see it. If any source material deserves a worthy adaptation it's this

Been looking forward to that one myself. I love the novel (read it again last year for the first time in about 40 years) and I am trusting they did a much better job on this one that the 80s adaptation.

Every bad review makes me more hyped. Not confident at all of a sequel though.

10 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Every bad review makes me more hyped. Not confident at all of a sequel though.

The reviewer on the Roger Ebert site gave it a really good review (3 !/2 stars of 4) and thinks it does a better job of capturing aspects of the novel than the previous attempt. This film apparently covers only the first half of the novel, so there's definitely a sequel in the works.

12 minutes ago, C. MacLeod said:

The reviewer on the Roger Ebert site gave it a really good review (3 !/2 stars of 4) and thinks it does a better job of capturing aspects of the novel than the previous attempt. This film apparently covers only the first half of the novel, so there's definitely a sequel in the works.

I'm sure Villaneuve has suggested or outright said that a sequel depends on the box office success of this which is why I'm really uncertain it'll happen. It also explains why he resisted it being added to streaming services as far as I know. 

Most of the reviews I've seen have been positive as well. When the critical reviews are things like "Why is there nobody to root for?" and "Why are the spaceships stupidly big and make even Momoa and Batista look tiny" I'm like "hell yea, sounds like the books."

Yeah I'm not that confident about a sequel if it's dependent on box office. Dune just doesn't really seem like the kind of thing which would attract marvel type numbers. Hoping that any award success Oscars etc and the fact it's part of the HBO deal will help greenlight a sequel