best/worst chain restaurant

mungo

From my experience, the best is Di Maggios by some way. I reckon the food there is better than any 'up market' Italian I've eaten at in Scotland and better than the food I've had at good restaurants in Italy!

I wouldn't go that far but I do think Di Maggios is decent - at least the one in Royal Exchange Square is. The Shawlands one maybe not so good in my experience.

Frankie and Benny's is pretty dire.

Is garfunkels still on the go? There used to be one in dundee about 20 years ago. was ok if i remember.

Wimpy is/was utter shite. did the one in Glasgow not give you plates and cutlery in a poor attempt to make is seem better?

Edited to add: Chicken cottage anyone?

I think all the Wimpy's gave you cutlery at one point. Maybe the one in Aberdeen was different and they didn't want to give the locals sharp implements :P

It's hard to remember as I always assumed that Wimpy went out of business sometime around 1987

I think all the Wimpy's gave you cutlery at one point. Maybe the one in Aberdeen was different and they didn't want to give the locals sharp implements :P

It's hard to remember as I always assumed that Wimpy went out of business sometime around 1987

The Wimpy in Johnstone is still going strong!

I wouldn't go that far but I do think Di Maggios is decent - at least the one in Royal Exchange Square is. The Shawlands one maybe not so good in my experience.

Frankie and Benny's is pretty dire.

The West End one is the pick of the bunch by some way. It's much more atmospheric and feels nothing like a 'chain' restuarant, while the rest do.

Is garfunkels still on the go?

Millions of them in London.

Browns is rubbish.

All subjective, but a wee bit of substance added to your statement would be nice.

every time ive been in, the food and service have been excellent, to the point that i had never experienced such thoughtful service before.

For anyone in the Manchester area who likes Italian food I'd recommend Croma. There's one in Manchester city centre, Chorley and Prestwich. I've only been to the Manchester one but the food's great and cheap for restaurant prices. Same applies to the house wine.

Does Tony Macaroni's count as a chain? There's one in Byres Rd and one in the Merchant City. Been a few times and the grubs usually excellent and it's pretty inexpensive.

The one in Livingston's pretty good too. I got 3 tapas for under a tenner, tasty as well. The only thing that bugged me was getting charged extra for stale bread..

The one in Livingston's pretty good too. I got 3 tapas for under a tenner, tasty as well. The only thing that bugged me was getting charged extra for stale bread..

3. Chain it is then.

Last time I went I got a chicken thing done in breadcrumbs that was like old shoe leather, but other times I've went and stuck to the pasta / pizza etc it's great grub. Decent selection of half decent wines too.

Apparently they won the 'Best Steakhouse in America' award back in 1922 and haven't stopped going on about it since.

I'm afraid none of your diddy, irrelevant chain restaurants will ever receive a similar accolade, no matter how long you keep producing inferior reconstituted dog food as a product.

Living in our shadow.

Ketchup is decent for burgers although I'll probably not go to Ketchup once my student card expires (no more 2 for 1), the burgers are good but scrap paying £10 for a burger with only really bad coleslaw, I know other places in the West End you can pay just under a £10, and get a Burger, Chips and decent salad bits.

Wimpy in Johnstone is still pretty darn good, rubbish opening hours, but always busy. They've started doing deals like £4.99 for a large Double Cheeseburger meal, which isn't all that bad, when it's cooked to order.

Nandos is also decent for what your getting

Wagamama is outstanding, a bit pricier than whats been mentioned but always good as long as you don't mind the bench seating.

The Harlequin group restaurants (Ashoka etc) are very hit and miss, i tend to try and stick to Mother India or the Banana Leaf for curries

I wouldn't touch the likes of China Buffet King with a barge pole

Carluccios (West Nile Street in Glasgow) is the best I've been too, good service, and a really good menu

I don't think I can pinpoint just one...

Best

Viva Brazil - only recently opened in Glasgow, but I love the place. The meat is fantastic, and at all you can eat it's fairly reasonable considering the quality. You can go a few doors down and get a small piece of steak for the same price as you get all the meats in VB. Even better if you go for lunch

Gourmet Burger Kitchen - a staple when I visit London for work, as there's one near St Pauls, just a 2 minute walk from my hotel. The burgers are always perfectly cooked as you want them, and when you go mental with the sides you can make something very tasty. A bit over-priced though possibly.

Wagamama - my fiancee got me into this, and got to say I love it now. The food is always fresh which makes a massive difference. Unfortunately, it is fast food in the way that you feel hungry again very fast a few hours later, and they do cram you together so it seems like you're eating with other people. Apart from that though, it's one of the better chains.

On the Fence

Wetherspoons - On the fence because it often depends which one, or even which mood it's in at the time. I've had breakfasts that have varied from being piss poor to excellent (the one in Manchester near the Arndale served up an amazing breakfast, but was perhaps made better by being battered after a Rammstein gig) but you can have it varying massively in the one place - the Counting House is usually very bad, but can come up with great food. You can't argue with the prices usually, even though they've hiked up. It was a great student lunch/dinner place if you wanted somewhere cheap. And the drink is close to th e cheapest you get, which always helps.

Grill on the Corner - Blackhouse would be the chain (there's a few up and down the country, mostly in London I think) and they do fantastic food fairly regularly, but it's let down by price. A full 3 courses there, considering it's a steak place, gets pretty expensive, and I'm not sure it's entirely worth it. However, January's 50% off offer saves it.

Worst

McDonalds - No. Just no. I went down for training in London with people from work, and the night we arrived, where did they want to go to get some food? McDonalds. No wanting to try and find a nice restaurant to sit down and have a meal in a new city. McDonalds. Pish food. Pish service. But then that's exactly what is to be expected. Had one in Munich a couple of months ago given that it was the only place open after midnight - marginally better, but still as bad. And still had a few jakeys.

Nandos - I don't see what the fuss is about. It's a middle class KFC, and I think people who would usually criticise KFC/BK/McDs go there to feel somehow superior. I've been once, and I can't say I didn't enjoy the food, but for what I got, I'd have looked to pay about half what I did. Doubt I'll be going back. If I want fast food chicken, I'll go to KFC and chance my arm.

Pizza Hut - Have had takeaway from them recently, which was the first time I'd eaten there in years. IT was hands down the worst pizza I'd ever ordered. The restuarant side of things have tried to move to a more Nando's level of middle-class-ery, but it's not sitting well. The food doesn't match up.

Worst

McDonalds - No. Just no. I went down for training in London with people from work, and the night we arrived, where did they want to go to get some food? McDonalds. No wanting to try and find a nice restaurant to sit down and have a meal in a new city. McDonalds. Pish food. Pish service. But then that's exactly what is to be expected. Had one in Munich a couple of months ago given that it was the only place open after midnight - marginally better, but still as bad. And still had a few jakeys.

The last McDonalds I went to had a customer service thingy having a raging breakdown at his supervisor for asking him to clean a table. That said, when calling the service 'poor' it begs the question: compared to what? I don't think it builds any illusions as to what it is. And for what it is, it remains far and away better than it's nearest competitor.

In USA I'll go for a&w burger,how fast food should be done!

Used to have 1 of these in Glasgow, it was just off sauchiehall St.

Although strangely it was shared with KFC (2 restaurants, 1 shop)

I really liked it, burgers were far superior to other fast food chains, ended up just becoming a bigger KFC though :(