Sherlock - BBC

~~~

Agree with most of the above - there was a section in the middle where I couldn't take my eyes off the screen but some of the bits at the very start and the last 20 minutes or so we're not good at all.

Spoiler

At the beginning, the lack of any explanation or development of what happened to John at the end of the last episode and the whole not noticing there wasn't glass in the cell annoyed me; at the end the way she got them all to the old house, the final explanation with the plane (dreadful), not really explaining how John was saved, no closure on the crimes committed, the bit with the violins, the Batman and Robin ending... Oh dear.

Agree with most of the above - there was a section in the middle where I couldn't take my eyes off the screen but some of the bits at the very start and the last 20 minutes or so we're not good at all.
Spoiler At the beginning, the lack of any explanation or development of what happened to John at the end of the last episode and the whole not noticing there wasn't glass in the cell annoyed me; at the end the way she got them all to the old house, the final explanation with the plane (dreadful), not really explaining how John was saved, no closure on the crimes committed, the bit with the violins, the Batman and Robin ending... Oh dear.

The entire Mary Watson video was horribly contrived. Looked like it had been tacked on at the end as an afterthought. Part of the really annoying thing that Moffat started doing in Dr who of never killing characters off. The sentimentality in it just didn't fit with the show either.

I feel robbed. After last week's I was really looking forward to that episode.

Personally, I think that's the worst episode of Sherlock's history. The only part I enjoyed was a certain character arriving via helicopter but the rest was a contrived mess of ideas. The premise could have been good but I feel that the execution was poor.

Due to all the hype surrounding the latest series I finally got round to watching the first episode ('A Study In Pink') of this and I was far from impressed. Cumberbatch was good, Freeman was the same character he is in everything and the plot was completely ridiculous and way too contrived. Felt very Doctor Who-ey as well, if the plots improve I may persevere but if they're all just as silly I'll be leaving it early doors.

Doesn't sound as though the latest series has gone down very well anyway.

Edited by Tommy Nooka

1 hour ago, Tommy Nooka said:

Due to all the hype surrounding the latest series I finally got round to watching the first episode ('A Study In Pink') of this and I was far from impressed. Cumberbatch was good, Freeman was the same character he is in everything and the plot was completely ridiculous and way too contrived. Felt very Doctor Who-ey as well, if the plots improve I may persevere but if they're all just as silly I'll be leaving it early doors.

Doesn't sound as though the latest series has gone down very well anyway.

The first two series were outstanding television 

I enjoyed it because it was Sherlock but I didn't rate it amongst even the top three or four episodes. Like most of the time in the last few weeks there were moments of genius and periods of incredibly gripping TV but it was let down badly by its direction and execution. 

It has gone too far in believing it's own hype and it looks like the writers have felt the need to be even more extreme and even more 'showy' with certain elements of Sherlock's life (this season was by far and away the most soap opera like). 

If they do decide to get another series then they should go back to three very strong individual cases with a thread that culminates in some kind of stand off (basically season one). They've tried too hard to go "LOOK AT THIS! LOOK AT HOW IT ALL CONNECTS IN THE MOST CONVOLUTED WAY POSSIBLE!!! LOOK AT IT!!". They've also been awful at following their own storylines. Watson gets shot in the face but then it is a throwaway "actually it was just a dart". 

Cumberbitch is still the best man for the role though. In terms of acting he has probably been at his strongest this series.

How does throwing down rope for a man chained to the bottom of a rapidly filling well help him?

The scene was showing that help had arrived. If we were being literal, I expect someone climbed down the lowered rope and cut the chains.

This is the first series I've watched and it was good enough to make me go back and watch the first three series.

I can't work out whether that final scene, with the Fabulous Baker Street Boys bursting out of a doorway side by side, is supposed to be Batman and Robin (1966) or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.  If the latter, this is the last series.

1 hour ago, The DA said:

This is the first series I've watched and it was good enough to make me go back and watch the first three series.

I can't work out whether that final scene, with the Fabulous Baker Street Boys bursting out of a doorway side by side, is supposed to be Batman and Robin (1966) or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.  If the latter, this is the last series.

Nothing certain yet in regards to a new series , it's usually on every two years so an announcement probably won't be made till later in the year regardless 

Nothing certain yet in regards to a new series , it's usually on every two years so an announcement probably won't be made till later in the year regardless 

I'd be very surprised if they did make another series. This is the first one where there's been a lot of criticism. Gatiss didn't take it well after first episode of this one. Think you were right earlier that if they do anything it will be a one off or a movie. Personally I think it's done and should be left alone now.

2 hours ago, The DA said:

I think it was a nod of the to Basil Rathbone as the brass name plates said something like Rathbone mansions 

I think it was a nod of the to Basil Rathbone as the brass name plates said something like Rathbone mansions 

Think that's another thing which has become a touch tedious....the constant neediness of moffat n gatiss to show off how clever they are with easter eggs referencing the likes of dr who n other sherlock films. Been doing the same in some capaldi dr who episodes. Bit less trying to show off n bit more time on an engaging plot required.

My appreciation for the show waned as time went on but overall I really looked forward to watching this series so I couldn't have disliked it that much.

I think it'd maybe be a good time to end it. The problem for me with shows like Sherlock where each episode is basically its own story is that it becomes quite formulaic after a while. Problem arises-Sherlock very nearly can't solve problem-Sherlock solves problem.

That format works really well in movies but what, 14 or 15 (?) movie-length episodes in now I'm starting to get a little bored with it.

Overall it's been decent.

The formula works if they're clever with it. If they plant clues throughout the episode as opposed to random moments of "hey, this just happened!", then it allows more room to rewatch it.
I think it's just expected us to go along with things now.

I really enjoyed that, although it wasn't a patch on the second episode, which might have been my favourite of the four series so far. I agree that they could do with slowing the pace down a notch, but there's life in this series yet. And, if Mary's video was any nod to the books, there will be another series yet. I'd say this episode lacked the immediate emotivism of a "final episode ever".

With the exception of the Agatha Christie thing with Toby Jones, a mediocre Sherlock is head and shoulders above most other things being produced at the moment.

I'd be very surprised if they did make another series. This is the first one where there's been a lot of criticism. Gatiss didn't take it well after first episode of this one. Think you were right earlier that if they do anything it will be a one off or a movie. Personally I think it's done and should be left alone now.

I'd be very happy with a two hour special every Christmas. I now have that weird, empty feeling after series four, and I'm expecting another, but I could make do with yearly one offs, as it were.