England v Scotland, Wembley, 1999

La_Leyenda

Have heard from older guys I know that it was horrible in 1999, with some top class wankers out in force.

Yes there certainly was.

The England fans(attending the games were probably nice folk) but there was violence way way beyond anything i've ever seen at football.

Following Scotland the only other times there has been violence was v wales (0-4) under Vogts. And pockets of nazi-loving thugs in Kiev.

Really? Cover the whole of London did you?

Two big rivals play in a vital match and their is isolated incidents of violence, is that really that hard to believe?

Live within 3 miles of Wembley. Worked within 3 miles of Wembley. Was at the game. Was on the tube like 8 times that day.

But yeah, there could have been an arguement about 15 miles away in Forest Hill or somewhere else miles from the match.

Live within 3 miles of Wembley. Worked within 3 miles of Wembley. Was at the game. Was on the tube like 8 times that day.

But yeah, there could have been an arguement about 15 miles away in Forest Hill or somewhere else miles from the match.

When you put it like that, it's a wonder they even bother with a police force in London. Surely one bobby making multiple trips on the tube is all that's needed to keep order?

You live 3 miles from Wembley? Should have walked ya lazy git.

There was a real tense atmosphere in Glasgow that day the game felt tense and subdued. Saw a few bits of bother but had some banter with some genuine England fans. From memory on telly we dominated the second leg Christian daillys header still haunts me

At the home game I was in the Mission pub in Battlefield and left at 1.30 to give us plenty time to get to the ground (North Stand)for the 2.00 kick off. We were completely unaware that this game was the first time that away fans were in the West Stand and with the big police operation that was in force we were prevented from walking up Cathcart Road to Somerville Drive and instead had to walk away round past the Main Stand and the East Stand. The end result was that we missed the first 5/10 mins.

After the game Glasgow City Centre was like a ghost town. The shops were closed and the streets pretty much deserted apart from the police and those who had been at the game or watching it in the pub.

Only trouble I saw was a minor scuffle as some England fans were getting off a bus at Queen Street station.

There was a real tense atmosphere in Glasgow that day the game felt tense and subdued. Saw a few bits of bother but had some banter with some genuine England fans. From memory on telly we dominated the second leg Christian daillys header still haunts me

Yeah - i had also banished from memory hitting the bar and the Gallacher miss from the first leg until seeing the clips.

As for trouble, i didn't personally see any, but for the away leg, i was always in areas of "heavy police presence". Had a chat with some of the "non thug" England fans too - and they were all thankful that they had somehow managed to get through. So close yet so far.

I lived and worked in Cambridge at the time, watched the games at two different friends' houses.

I can remember a lingering bitterness about GSTQ being drowned out by boos at Hampden, but nothing serious. I wore my Scotland top around all day and there wasn't the slightest hint of bother anywhere.

So near yet so far is true- England were imploding and completely outmanoevered at Wembley, but sadly the damage had already been done by a poor first half showing at Hampden. I really thought that Dailly's header was in. :(

Was at both legs and never saw any trouble but then I pretty much went straight to both grounds by car and was inside the ground very early for both so I was never likely to really. I have memories of reading in the papers of trouble particularly in Glasgow itself on the day of the Hampden game.

My mate and I were members of the Travel Club and a ticket each for both legs but he was always going to have problems getting to the second leg as he had no holidays left to take so said he'd make a decision after the first leg about whether to beg for an unpaid day's leave or just not go. When we lost 2-0 at home he not surprisingly decided to give the second leg a swerve. I went a long way down a list of possible contacts before finding someone who would take his ticket and accompany me to the game at such short notice and for a match we were surely out of. I drove down and parked right outside Wembley which you could do back then as there was a massive car park at the place. Spoke to some England fans from the Bristol area outside the ground when they parked next to us (no segregation in the car parks!) and they were good guys. Wished each other all the best and went into the ground. I recall at half time a real genuine belief had developed that we could do it. Dailly's header was wrong end of the ground for the vast majority of Scotland fans but I don't ever recall thinking it was in. It was only when I saw it again on tv the next day that I realised what a good chance it had been.

• 2 years later...

Memories of both games.

Home game.

Had real problems pre-match meeting my father. We had arranged to meet at the Garage to the south west of Hampden, but the English Transport Police decided that you couldn't walk near the ground if you didn't have a ticket. Despite explaining the situation to the cockney twat, he didn't let me through. Ended up phoning a taxi to drive through the police corden.

Made it just in time for kickoff. Sat in the South upper, best seats in the ground.

The first half Scotland were the better team but a stonewall pen turned down and the woodwork prevented. England Scored with their only attacks. Half time featured everyone moaning about the referees performance. The 2nd half was horrible to watch, England upped their game and were in total control I remember thinking that they could have scored more. The English away support were Brilliant in the 2nd half. The atmosphere was quiet in the home end. Strangely subdued for such a big game.

Post match the Scotland fans were once again held back to let the English fans leave. For whatever reason the Transport Police treated them like royality and the home support like shit. We headed into town only to be caught in a mass brawl outside central station with about 300 english thugs fighing with each other, utterly mental and I got hit with a bottle on the back of my head. After this we decided against going to the pub and headed to a mates flat to clean me up and have a carryout.

Away game

Travelled down on a supporters bus leaving edinburgh overnight and arriving early morning. Banter was good on the bus and we were recharged. After the violence of the first game I decided against wearing a kilt. Headed to the william Wallace pub for some scran and many beers. Left this pub to wander to the tube station and got talking to some nice englsih lads. The tube journey look forever as there was a powercut and it went pitch-black. Found out later that Chelsea hooligans(combat 18) were on the same train but another carriage and there was stabbings.

The stadium was great and we were seated high up behind the goal hutchison scored into. I remeber the game being very even and the home support being very quiet. Ferguson was superb as was Hutchison. If the Dailly header has went in, I would have fancied Scotland to kick on for the winner. Got the bus straight home after the game, although the Scotland support much have stayed about 40 mins after full time.

Hi red mamba,

Hope all's well. I'm a sports producer from ITV News. We're in Glasgow looking ahead to the Scotland/England game on Tuesday. Obviously quite a historic event as first time the two sides will face each other on Scottish soil since Euro 2000 qualifier at Hampden Park in 1999.

We were looking to speak to any Scottish fans who were at the game and then in the city centre afterwards. Would be good to hear a personal perspective on what went on after the match. I noticed what you wrote above and wondered if you or any of your friends would be interested?

Do let me know if you might fancy speaking to us.

Many thanks!

Cheers!

Hi red mamba,

Hope all's well. I'm a sports producer from ITV News. We're in Glasgow looking ahead to the Scotland/England game on Tuesday. Obviously quite a historic event as first time the two sides will face each other on Scottish soil since Euro 2000 qualifier at Hampden Park in 1999.

We were looking to speak to any Scottish fans who were at the game and then in the city centre afterwards. Would be good to hear a personal perspective on what went on after the match. I noticed what you wrote above and wondered if you or any of your friends would be interested?

Do let me know if you might fancy speaking to us.

Many thanks!

Cheers!

I was at that game too and on the way back I was raped by combat18 icf headhunters.

I was with my grandad the who served with distinction at Normandy and he said the scenes in George square that night were a million times worse.

Archived