Steve Kean

Theeesel

Why would he resign? No manager should ever be seen as seeing it as some sort of moral obligation. They need to be employed. There are managers that do it, and more fool them. They're idiots.

It could be one of those Thick of It type resignations when the letter is typed and you have to sign before they send you to Coventry for scouting trips every few days.

But if they resign for morality type purposes it screams Harry Redknapp levels of stupidity.

Although it isn't really related to this thread I think there is a tendency now to employ more intelligent, or at least more articulate, managers. There are generally more Roberto Martinezs' about than Barry Frys, even in the CCC and certainly in the Prem. Redknapp was really the last special case about.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would he resign?

Personal integrity is not something in abundance in the modern game, but isn't it pragmatic to walk away from a job you're shit at before you render yourself unemployable by anyone else? What chairman now is going to take a punt on Kean knowing that he'll happily get a side relegated rather than lose out on compensation?

Owen Coyle didn't resign. The season before, MeLeish resigned to take a bigger job (i.e. not out of shame), Ian Holloway didn't resign, and Avram Grant was sacked.

You have a pretty unrealistic expectation of managers if you expect relegation to always result in resignation. That's not how it works.

Personal integrity is not something in abundance in the modern game, but isn't it pragmatic to walk away from a job you're shit at before you render yourself unemployable by anyone else? What chairman now is going to take a punt on Kean knowing that he'll happily get a side relegated rather than lose out on compensation?

Er, what Chairman would have taken him if he did resign?

Who exactly was the last manager to resign because of 'honour' after being relegated?

You have a pretty unrealistic expectation of managers if you expect relegation to always result in resignation. That's not how it works.

Huh? Yes, if you're popular and generally deemed to be competent (Coyle, Holloway) then it makes sense to stick with the team and try to impress future employers by turning things around. If, however, you're plainly out of your depth and not just disliked but actively despised by a significant portion of your own fan base, then getting the f**k out of Dodge before you permanently cripple your future employment opportunities in English football management makes a lot of sense. I din't mean to suggest otherwise.

Huh? Yes, if you're popular and generally deemed to be competent (Coyle, Holloway) then it makes sense to stick with the team and try to impress future employers by turning things around. If, however, you're plainly out of your depth and not just disliked but actively despised by a significant portion of your own fan base, then getting the f**k out of Dodge before you permanently cripple your future employment opportunities in English football management makes a lot of sense. I din't mean to suggest otherwise.

The two main issues with that are:

1) What chairman would take a punt on a manager who was so actively despised by his previous clubs fans, knowing how unpopular the appointment will be with the risk of pissing off their own fanbase?

2) Why resign from a lucrative long-term contract when your current employment prospects are already in the shitter, with no guarantee of similarly financially rewarding employment elsewhere?

Edit to add: you've said yourself that he is plainly out of his depth... in which case, he should just milk it for what its worth and end up managing some diddy team like Brentford, rather than resigning, losing out on a wad of money and end up managing some diddy team like Brentford?

Fans' opinions aren't always a good barometer of a manager's worth, though. You only need to look at the way Newcastle fans reacted to the Pardew appointment to see that. That Blackburn nearly survived against a far better paid team in the form of Aston Villa (the team with the 6th highest average weekly wage bill in the EPL) indicates that he wasn't *quite* as bad as has been suggested. I'd say Blackburn's budgetary position would have been around 16th. 19th is a failure to meet that target, sure, but not by a massive amount. They budgeted for a relegation battle, and they got one.

Also, Supras' question about who would have taken him if he'd resigned is a pertinent one here. I don't think his failure to resign has really made a difference yet. If he enjoys a good season with Rovers this time around it's clear that he made the right decision all around. If not, no harm done from the manager's perspective.

kean > Moore.

Kean more than 90% of premiership managers.

He's a terrible manager and stood out as the worst one in the league last year. He was able to make a couple of good finds, but apart from that he did an awful job.

Blackburn fans are c***s.

Are they, or are they being made out to be that way by the press?

Plenty of fans protest on the terraces (Villa fans against McLeish or Wolves fans against McCarthy) but how often do they get the long-lingering camera shots on sky or all the commentators/pundits saying how shocking they are?

I've seen plenty of articles in the Lancashire Teelegraph stating the fans are the problem a d interviews with Kean where he blames fans for X and Y but not one of them seem to question the fact that to date he has managed them for 69 games and won 19 of ten, abysmal record. He has no previous management experience and clearly isn't up to the job, the Blackburn fans are right to question why he is 'Unsackable'.

He's a terrible manager and stood out as the worst one in the league last year. He was able to make a couple of good finds, but apart from that he did an awful job.

Yet didn't finish bottom? Exactly how was he worse than the likes of Coyle and McCarthy when the former also got his team relegated and the latter had them down at the bottom?

Be specific.

Are they, or are they being made out to be that way by the press?

Plenty of fans protest on the terraces (Villa fans against McLeish or Wolves fans against McCarthy) but how often do they get the long-lingering camera shots on sky or all the commentators/pundits saying how shocking they are?

I've seen plenty of articles in the Lancashire Teelegraph stating the fans are the problem a d interviews with Kean where he blames fans for X and Y but not one of them seem to question the fact that to date he has managed them for 69 games and won 19 of ten, abysmal record. He has no previous management experience and clearly isn't up to the job, the Blackburn fans are right to question why he is 'Unsackable'.

Really? I've never heard that. Where are these interviews?

Also, regardless of whether or not I think a St. Mirren manager is up to the job, I would never ever personally abuse him at any point and I certainly wouldn't boo when a player celebrates a goal with him. They have stood out as being an absolute disgrace, Kean deserves better.

The Lancashire Telegraph had an article I'm thinking of, about Nov last year. I'll try and find a link to it but it might be tomorrow when I'm on my laptop rather than my iPhone.

I'm not saying its right to boo managers, I wouldn't do it, the bottom line is that plenty of fans do, as I said above Villa fans to McLeish, Wolves fans and McCarthy and almost none of them have had the coverage nor the criticism that Blackburn fans have had.

I do not believe Kean deserves either sympathy nor any better, he tried to claim credit for work others did (i.e when he claimed to bring through Phil jones who had already been identified and offered a professional contract before Kean even arrived) as well as trying to blame fans spiking his drink to avoid a drink drive charge.

He has behaved badly and it's hard to feel sympathy for him.

The Lancashire Telegraph had an article I'm thinking of, about Nov last year. I'll try and find a link to it but it might be tomorrow when I'm on my laptop rather than my iPhone.

I'm not saying its right to boo managers, I wouldn't do it, the bottom line is that plenty of fans do, as I said above Villa fans to McLeish, Wolves fans and McCarthy and almost none of them have had the coverage nor the criticism that Blackburn fans have had.

I do not believe Kean deserves either sympathy nor any better, he tried to claim credit for work others did (i.e when he claimed to bring through Phil jones who had already been identified and offered a professional contract before Kean even arrived) as well as trying to blame fans spiking his drink to avoid a drink drive charge.

He has behaved badly and it's hard to feel sympathy for him.

Throughout Kean has maintained absolute dignity when many of lesser men have cracked - the fans have displayed no such decorum. And the reason why they have received such negative coverage is obvious - they have done it to a greater degree, with much more intensity and over a longer period.

The bullshitting in the pub, nobody really cares about that. And the claim about spiking drinks, didn't see that either where is the link to that?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/8702082/Blackburn-manager-Steve-Kean-banned-for-drink-driving.html

Hope that works, that one just states he blamed the fans for spiking his drink not which ones, he did at the time so i' have a better look on my laptop later when I'm looking for the LET article.

Throughout Kean has maintained absolute dignity when many of lesser men have cracked - the fans have displayed no such decorum. And the reason why they have received such negative coverage is obvious - they have done it to a greater degree, with much more intensity and over a longer period.

The bullshitting in the pub, nobody really cares about that. And the claim about spiking drinks, didn't see that either where is the link to that?

I presume you're referring to him having a go at big Sam...

I used to have some respect for Kean up until that point but now he deserves all he gets and I understand SA has put it in the hands of his lawyers.

Ffs his drink drive case was all over the tv! You can't have missed it.

Well, I never saw him say that fans spiked his drink.

http://www.telegraph...nk-driving.html

Hope that works, that one just states he blamed the fans for spiking his drink not which ones, he did at the time so i' have a better look on my laptop later when I'm looking for the LET article.

....Nor does it say it here. He claims his drink was spiked to get off the charge, at no point did he mention fans. So why did you say he did?

I presume you're referring to him having a go at big Sam...

I used to have some respect for Kean up until that point but now he deserves all he gets and I understand SA has put it in the hands of his lawyers.

First of all, Sam Allardyce IS a crook, I don't think anyone really denies this. He's as transparent as Redknapp. And secondly, Kean absolutely did not know he was being filmed, it was an utter dick move on the part of those who filmed it.

And how is that case going? Bad mouthing someone in a bar? I have a good idea - it's not going anywhere. It was a media move by Allardyce as surely even he knew the case would go no where.

Oh and you are a crook Allardyce, you gonna give this to your lawyers too?

Well, I never saw him say that fans spiked his drink.

....Nor does it say it here. He claims his drink was spiked to get off the charge, at no point did he mention fans. So why did you say he did?

First of all, Sam Allardyce IS a crook, I don't think anyone really denies this. He's as transparent as Redknapp. And secondly, Kean absolutely did not know he was being filmed, it was an utter dick move on the part of those who filmed it.

And how is that case going? Bad mouthing someone in a bar? I have a good idea - it's not going anywhere. It was a media move by Allardyce as surely even he knew the case would go no where.

Oh and you are a crook Allardyce, you gonna give this to your lawyers too?

Do you have evidence that Allardyce is a crook?

Do you have evidence that Allardyce is a crook?

Association with Willie McKay, tendency to sign players of West African origin from South of France. Even bringing Anelka to Bolton was probably dodgy as f**k.

He's a crook, and like Redknapp, everyone knows it. If you don't think so, then fine. I'm more than confident enough to point it out.

And did Allardyce sign Pascal Chimbonda? That pretty much confirms you as a crook these days, eh Harry?

Association with Willie McKay, tendency to sign players of West African origin from South of France. Even bringing Anelka to Bolton was probably dodgy as f**k.

He's a crook, and like Redknapp, everyone knows it. If you don't think so, then fine. I'm more than confident enough to point it out.

And did Allardyce sign Pascal Chimbonda? That pretty much confirms you as a crook these days, eh Harry?

Be specific.

Archived