Fascinating Photos

Some scanning electron microscopy photos.

pollen-electron-microscope-allergy-causing.jpg

Pollen

One of my mates looks at this stuff for a living (palynologist). In fact, I was using pollen data yesterday to give me the ages of certain rock intervals and the little shites ruined my model I'd been working on. I also have hayfever. F**k you pollen. :angry:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

windowslivewritersomeofthemostpowerfulimagesfromaroundthe-1266a001095-windowslivewritersomeofthemos1.jpg1975. Boston, USA, 22 July 1975. A woman and a girl are hurled down as the fire escape of their apartment building collapses. Photo Credits: Stanley Forman, USA, The Boston Herald.

I've seen this one before. The woman died from injuries sustained during the fall. The wee girl survived it.

This one never fails to shock me

The_Life_and_Death_of_Kevin_Carter03.jpg

The guy who took that was Kevin Carter. Here's a portion of his suicide note:

"I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings and corpses and anger and pain ... of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners."

:o

Kevin Carter is one of the photographers whose work I admire and although it sounds strange I would love to have the chance to do the same as him....although I have no idea if I could. The 'Vulture Photo' for which he is known by is imo one of the most important photo's in history, but it is Carter early work trying to expose the brutality of apartheid which holds more sway for me.

NO!!!! Got to 1:44 and had to stop it.

Ooft...you won't quite have made it to the part where the voiceover says "this is called freeclimbing, where no safety lines are used". :o

Anyone else feel their feet and stomach go a bit funny when they saw that one?

There was a video of a Russian guy walking across a bit of metal at an obscene height on RudeTube, I'll try and find it.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfZ1NyS6Mzw

You could post any pics of Priyat really. Here's one of my faves;

Chernobyl-Today-A-Creepy-Story-told-in-Pictures-funfair.jpg

The funfair was due to open 5 days after the disaster, so no one has ever been on the Ferris wheel. It's one of the most irradiated parts of Pripyat, making it still dangerous to go near today.

There was a video of a Russian guy walking across a bit of metal at an obscene height on RudeTube, I'll try and find it.

You could post any pics of Priyat really. Here's one of my faves;

Chernobyl-Today-A-Creepy-Story-told-in-Pictures-funfair.jpg

The funfair was due to open 5 days after the disaster, so no one has ever been on the Ferris wheel. It's one of the most irradiated parts of Pripyat, making it still dangerous to go near today.

I held off a fuckload of Russian troops there whilst waiting for an air-evac. FUBAR, man, FUBAR.

Archived