Fascinating Photos

Don't think this website has already been mentioned, but I use a lot of images for my job (secondary teacher), and I always try to leave slideshows or images up during lessons to help, and/or encourage debate etc. Anyway when I first started teaching I was looking for websites that had these kinds of images (Life Magazine website is good - life.time.com). By far the best I have come across and one I use most often is this -

My link

It really is superb.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember standing on the glass floor in that tower years ago. Heights don't normally bother me but the thought of the glass breaking scared the hell out me.

I stood on the glass floor of the CN Tower but only after a couple of beers. Normally shit-scared of heights too. Think because it is so high up it doesn't feel real.

I stood on the glass floor of the CN Tower but only after a couple of beers. Normally shit-scared of heights too. Think because it is so high up it doesn't feel real.

Presumably you'd need at least a half-bottle for this, then:

http://www.worldtravelattractions.com/grand-canyon-skywalk/

The Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia:

Bolivia_1876964i.jpg

~10,500 sq miles of salt crust overlying a lake up in the Andes at 12,000ft. The salt flats are occasionally flooded, hence you get these remarkable reflections across the whole thing.

I was there a couple of years ago and you lose all sense of distance along this thing so you can start taking bizarre pictures like this one:

3622299465_50acfb65a7.jpg

And this is why i like NASA on facebook

Over a period of six orbits on on February 3, 2012, the recently launched Suomi NPP satellite provided the Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) instrument enough time to gather the pixels for this synthesized view of Earth showing North Africa and southwestern Europe.

Full resolution available here http://visibleearth....id=78314&src=fb

post-35247-0-34530200-1340131576_thumb.j

• 2 years later...

Celebrating Christmas in the London underground, also in 1940.jYUfn.jpg

What a great thread. It's interesting that so many people are freaked by the 'heights" photographs but they don't bother me at all. This one however, gives me the screaming abdabs. It was a measurable beat before I realised this was a fun occasion.

Archived