Minor traffic offences

You might get away with doing 37 (or more) in a 30 limit at 5.00 a.m. on a dry, clear and sunny mid-summer Sunday morning.

You're unlikely to get away with it at 8.30 a.m. on a winter school day morning outside your local primary.

There is no hard, fast rule that you can live by. Even the 10% allowance is lost if your speedo is underestimating your speed.

Most speedos overestimate speed to avoid getting sued for that reason. Mine does, by about 3-4 mph, if the sat nav speed is accurate.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was talking to a mechanic mate about this a few weeks ago.

He said he got a tug by the coppers

Where was this? Asking for a friend.

Most speedos overestimate speed to avoid getting sued for that reason. Mine does, by about 3-4 mph, if the sat nav speed is accurate.

It's also to take into account differing tyre sizes.

I found a nice way to get a win over a fixed speed camera.

I'm sure every driver in Scotland is familiar with the camera on the M9 at Newbridge.

As I was approaching the dip where it's situated I still hadn't dropped to the 50MPH.

I did however notice an Asda lorry on my left just ahead. I shot up to 80MPH and had the lorry between me and the camera. The perfect crime.

I always thought the law was 10% +1mph ( close enough ) couple of other things which may be urban myths.....

There has to be a speed warning sign if there's a camera ( there can be a sign but no camera but not a camera without a sign )

You have to get the ticket within two weeks - if it's more than that, you can challenge it and you'll be let off ( that's not to say you can say you were on holiday though and never seen it.... )

And the classic.... keep filling the form in incorrectly and sending it back - keep it going for as long as you can and eventually the DVLA give up ( wouldn't recommend it though )

You might get away with doing 37 (or more) in a 30 limit at 5.00 a.m. on a dry, clear and sunny mid-summer Sunday morning.

You're unlikely to get away with it at 8.30 a.m. on a winter school day morning outside your local primary.

There is no hard, fast rule that you can live by. Even the 10% allowance is lost if your speedo is underestimating your speed.

By law, speedos cannot under-read. They are allowed to over-read by up to 10%.

Got done for speeding last Thursday on my way to the airport. I was doing 80 in a 60, in an overtaking lane, but I've no complaints. A bit pissed off, as I just got 3 points off my license.

The other two offences I've had were for driving whilst using my phone. 2 and 4 years ago respectively. The first time I've no complaints, as I was genuinely driving whilst talking on the phone. The second time I was sitting parked up on a side street just off duke street, when the police went past and done me. They said I was too close to the junction to be deemed as parked up. They were a pair of c***s to be fair.

Accidentally jumped a red light in Paisley town centre about a month ago. Completely my own fault I had the kids who were screaming their head off and simply wasn't paying attention. I was half way across and it was already a solid red. Absolutely no doubt. I jumped it. There was a police car waiting at the junction also and the lights have cameras.

I didn't get caught or done. Absolute miracle if you ask me.

Now I am paranoid about it and slow right down every time I approach a light.

Accidentally jumped a red light in Paisley town centre about a month ago. Completely my own fault I had the kids who were screaming their head off and simply wasn't paying attention. I was half way across and it was already a solid red. Absolutely no doubt. I jumped it. There was a police car waiting at the junction also and the lights have cameras.

I didn't get caught or done. Absolute miracle if you ask me.

Now I am paranoid about it and slow right down every time I approach a light.

There is only one red light camera in Paisley- at the pedestrian crossing with the fire station.

The police also have to be sure you went across at red- saying it was green the other way isn't always good enough!

Probably mentioned it before, but I'm still miffed that I got 6 points for passing the same mobile camera twice in an hour, doing 40 in a 30 limit urban dual carraigeway, just keeping up with the flow of traffic. Wouldn't complain at 3 points, but if they'd pulled me over the first time there's no way I wouldn't have noticed the second time and slowed down. The speed was perfectly safe in the conditions, and someone driving dangerously fast but only passing the camera once would get the same points, or just the 3.

Archived